What's the difference in hunting elephant bulls and cows?

tigris115

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Articles
Question's in the title. I know that cows have the hazard of being in larger groups and of being more volatile since calves are around but I'd like to hear from others.

Question's in the title. I know that cows have the hazard of being in larger groups and of being more volatile since calves are around but I'd like to hear from others.
In the course of my bull hunt I came upon many many cows. A lot of these cows had calfs by their side and as such cold be very dangerous. Each time we backed away so that the particular group would not feel threatened. In one instance one of the cows came forward to chase our truck back down the road and our tracker got off the hood and climbed into the back as he wanted nothing to do with a potential confrontation with her. Older bulls may have young solider bulls with them that can be just as troublesome as cows. If I had been hunting cow elephant I suspect the hunt would have been over the first day. Finding the right bull takes more time.

Depends on the area. Some areas the cows are very bad tempered. As far as the hunt goes either way it is a great adventure. I did a cull hunt and other than getting the tusks I feel that I had exactly the hunt I wanted. I encourage anyone to hunt an elephant and it does not have to be a big expensive trophy hunt.

Having hunted Cows and Bulls in Zim - Charara, Matusadona and Dande South-I feel that it is an altogether different business. When you hunt cows most probably you will go for tuskless, and that means you have to check many herds from close up in order to find them and evaluate whether they have dependent calves. That means they will be some elefant around you that you cannot see, but might be seeing on a direct approach towards you when they get your wind or after your shot. Definitely a tricky business... Hunting for bulls on the other hand is mostly a direct approach on a group of two or at least not many elefant, for the bulls that stay with the herd are mostly not worth shooting.
Good Hunting!
Reineke

Hunting cows can become close and personal a lot more often than hunting bulls.....

Cost difference and danger factor. Bachelor groups are a much safer place to be! That said, you can hunt non-trophy bulls in a herd in various countries and the cost is similar to tuskless or cow. That said, you may be doing all inhabitants of certain areas a favor by taking out cows!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GlendaMccl

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!