What's So Great About The 400 H&H?

@norfolk shooter
I say old chap us colonials in Australia just chuck our dacks or stubbies on with a blue singlet or a flano and a pair after Blundstones or If'n you are a bit flash a pair of R M Williams and go as and shoot shit.
Simple and the absolute pinnacle of high fashion..
After the hunt we take the boots off chuck on a nice pair of comfortable well worn double pluggers (singles are no good you get to many blow outs) sit around the campfire with a few coldies and bullshit to each other
Bob
If you are English or American please don't ask for a translation of the above Australian queens English
Funny, but I did have to look up "double pluggers" just because it sounded weird. ;)

Having a knowledge pool like AH to draw from helps one to make an informed decision.
A decision that could go either way.

It's my opinion that people will look for facts to back up their own thoughts on a subject.
Instead of trying to be objective and weigh the pros and cons of a particular purchase.
It's tough with rifles (or cars/women...etc), sometimes they just speak to you and you gotta have 'em.
@BeeMaa you it the nail right on the head brother.
In my opinion, an informed decision is not always the way too go for some of us. Sometimes ( or a lot of times) things just appeal to us for what ever reason.I for one would go for the 400 H&H.,for no other reason of it being the odd ball out..
I have a (and love my) 308 Norma Magnum, and would love to own the whole Norma range.
It's not always practical but it appeals to me.
It's not easy or cheap but it defirintiates the mass market to something special in my eyes.
Yes, there are other calibers that do the same job just as good, but do they have the history or nostalgia behind them?
Each for their own I guess., but thats just me

@norfolk shooter
I say old chap us colonials in Australia just chuck our dacks or stubbies on with a blue singlet or a flano and a pair after Blundstones or If'n you are a bit flash a pair of R M Williams and go as and shoot shit.
Simple and the absolute pinnacle of high fashion..
After the hunt we take the boots off chuck on a nice pair of comfortable well worn double pluggers (singles are no good you get to many blow outs) sit around the campfire with a few coldies and bullshit to each other
Bob
If you are English or American please don't ask for a translation of the above Australian queens English
Bob thats a ripper. Im actually crying with laughter

I believe the RM gets to max speed with about 77gr of varget while the H&H will do it with about 72gr. So, I think the recoil is less in the H&H. But, that's splitting hairs when firing a 40cal. The real difference is the RM is just ugly in comparison, and no one wants to find hunting glory clutching something so ugly.:)
Let me tell you something The 416 Remington Has a reputation of breaking extractors in the heat of Africa. More than one professional hunter It had it happened to their clients. The pressure is too high. Rem quit chambering the 416. It is available from the custom shop only. They install a SAKO EXTRACTOR. Look at Desert Dogs dissertation on the Rem 416.

Well since this thread has been resurrected ,I’ll still vote yes on my 400 HH. I use Lonnie cripp with superior ammo for my loads and am very happy
I hope this isn't a stupid question - Does he use your rifle to find a good load, or does he just send you loaded ammo?

I send him brass and bullets— he gives credit then puts them together with his recommended loads and they are consistently the same
I do slow them down closer to 2200 because I’m not a fan of faster is better
Considering penetration is better; pressure also comes down
So far my favorite has been cup point solids in 400 grain by north fork
I might have to change since they went tits up

I send him brass and bullets— he gives credit then puts them together with his recommended loads and they are consistently the same
I do slow them down closer to 2200 because I’m not a fan of faster is better
Considering penetration is better; pressure also comes down
So far my favorite has been cup point solids in 400 grain by north fork
I might have to change since they went tits up
North fork is back in business. They were at DSC and they should have stock soon

reloading international just got 1300 boxes
I ordered from them ages ago and have not heard anything. Maybe this week?

Let me tell you something The 416 Remington Has a reputation of breaking extractors in the heat of Africa. More than one professional hunter It had it happened to their clients. The pressure is too high. Rem quit chambering the 416. It is available from the custom shop only. They install a SAKO EXTRACTOR. Look at Desert Dogs dissertation on the Rem 416.
This is old news. The problem with the earlier factory loads and rifles, was more of an issue with Remington loading their cartridges to a higher velocity/pressure than was necessary. Today's loads no longer have this problem. The 416 Remington has more case capacity than the 400 H&H, so it would be reasonable to say that it will outperform the ladder if loaded to the same pressure. And equal it at lower pressure.

Holland and Holland should've legitimized the 404-375 H&H wildcat and the 470 Capstick and put their H&H stamp on it. Much like Jeffery did with the 12.7×70mm Schuler. Both would have been natural outgrowths of the 375 H&H case.

The 400 H&H just works. When I first shot @zephyr rifle, that I believe is built on a M70, I was struck by how shoot able it is. It really didn't feel any worse than my 375 H&H, but obviously has all the upside of the larger bullet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg