What will Big 5 hunting look like in 20 yrs?

BeMo

Reaction score
Member of
DSC
Hunted
South Africa
Unfortunately, I was born too late for the golden age of African hunting and I am currently economically hindered aka can't swing a $100k USD hunt currently. That being said I have my sights set on an exportable bull elephant hunt when I retire in 20 some odd years. Will these animals still be able to be legally hunted or will it become a bygone era?

It is difficult to predict what the future brings. But my guess is you'll still be able to hunt a trophy bull elephant in 20 years time. However I have my doubts that you'll be bringing your own rifle, instead of renting one. And I also doubt you'll be taking anything but pictures back home.

Big 5 + some other iconic species like hippo, giraffe, etc. will see more and more difficulty in shipping trophies back home in my opinion.

It's difficult to predict such things but if you are keen to go and flexible in defining what a good experience looks like, there will be many years of opportunities. I think one of the methods of the anti's is to wear down the average hunter so it's just not worth the hassle, paperwork, delays, etc and the hunters give up. One example is importable ivory. For some reason the rule is no more than 2 bulls can be imported to US per calendar year per hunter. Never mind if it's been delayed by govt and it opens up again...only 2 per year. Some hunters have numerous trophies in backlog and even if it flowed freely, they may never get some of their trophies back. Don't give up on your dreams!

I'd be willing to bet that if you wait 20years you will probably find that a bull elephant hunt will be just as big if not a greater financial hurdle as it is today.

That's why I decided to do a non-exportable tuskless hunt this year rather than wait around for "Some day" that may never be feasible by either finance or regulation in the future.

The old statement by Atcheson booking agency was that sheep hunts have generally been the cost of a new truck for decades. That has held true. Sheep have never been cheap...DG has never been cheap but this is the cheapest you will find so go when you can! I've told lots of guys...dump that TX deer lease...quit buying new trucks...save some $...sell some guns...and go hunt your dream hunt.

I think you'll still be able to hunt an elephant in 20 years. I have my doubts you'll be able to import without some serious changes to how we allow the USFWS to do rule-making without any authority.

I wouldn’t put it off 20 years. $25k-$30k would get you an exportable bull in a quality area with a quality PH. I think there will definitely be big 5 hunting opportunities still in 20 years, but many less areas than today. Community concessions are under a lot of pressure from human population growth especially in places like Zimbabwe and Caprivi. The dedicated safari areas I expect to still be available and viable in 20 years. Another thing to consider will be quality of PHs. In places like Zimbabwe most of the PHs are middle aged to older. Land invasions in 2000s took away most of the farm kids that would become PHs now. It’s very difficult to predict but I expect a very different hunting landscape in 20 years than we have now outside of South Africa and Namibia (assuming no land reform takes place). Find a way to go now when you don’t have to guess.

My 2¢, In twenty years, the boomer generation of hunters and the U.S middle class will be gone and Africa hunting will revert to what it once was, only for the well heeled. Best to go now while there's still competition and relatively affordable.
Now don't ask who's going to win the Belmont Stakes.

Unfortunately, I was born too late for the golden age of African hunting and I am currently economically hindered aka can't swing a $100k USD hunt currently. That being said I have my sights set on an exportable bull elephant hunt when I retire in 20 some odd years. Will these animals still be able to be legally hunted or will it become a bygone era?

As some have already written, I would do hunting in Africa as quickly as possible because the future looks bad. There are too many people trying to ban trophy hunting so that at some point they will achieve their goal. Contrary to what is claimed, tourism into the National Park bring more money than trophy hunting, but that's another topic. Hunting in Southeast and South Africa has become mass tourism, and for this reason I would go hunting there as quickly as possible before this hunting that was more or less traditionally acceptable is over. I have been hunting in Africa for more than 30 years, sometimes repeatedly in the same areas, and have therefore noticed for myself how the art and manner of these hunts have changed over time, and that not for the better. There will certainly be areas in Africa where you can hunt for a long time, but they will become increasingly rare and also much more expensive. Bringing your own rifle and exporting the trophies will certainly no longer be possible in a near future, but that should not be a too big problem.

The future of hunting is very muuch in the hands of future governments, especially western governments. Given their track record of managing things properly and correctly doesn't give me great cause for optimism at this particular moment. But, at the same time, surprising things sometimes arise and quickly turn negatives around for the better. Sometimes the truth really dos prevail. I hope so anyway. I would hate to see hunting in Africa die.

At the moment it looks like that the so-called Western governments have lost their political influence and above all their military control in Africa. I know what I am talking about because I was soldier by the french army intervention troops for Africa. The tone is set nowadays by Russia and especially by China. I don't know how much hunting will suffer, but we have already lost for a many reasons our hunting areas in West Africa.

I agree that the time to go is now, 'cause in 20 years I'll be having trouble remembering my name ...
And the last of the boomers will be 80.

The conservation benefits of sport hunting, coupled with the measured value to African economies, will probably secure hunting for several decades. It is very probable that synthetic hides and 3-D printed (or more advanced tech) skulls, tusks, etc will replace the physical animal trophy parts, even individual animal accuracy by means of laser mapping/scanning could preserve the specifics of each trophy. I predict the greatest changes in the industry will occur in the trophy process, and only minor changes in the hunting arena.

The conservation benefits of sport hunting, coupled with the measured value to African economies, will probably secure hunting for several decades. It is very probable that synthetic hides and 3-D printed (or more advanced tech) skulls, tusks, etc will replace the physical animal trophy parts, even individual animal accuracy by means of laser mapping/scanning could preserve the specifics of each trophy. I predict the greatest changes in the industry will occur in the trophy process, and only minor changes in the hunting arena.
Now that would be something. 3D map your animal in Africa, go home and have a full reproduction made with the scan data.

I remember when I made my first hunt in Zimbabwe. My PH told me that he thought that safari hunting would be done within 20 years. That was in 1983, 41 years ago. Safari hunting is still going strong.

Now having said that, no one knows what the future will bring. No matter what continent you are hunting in, hunt when you can.

One thing is for sure...never underestimate the work ethic and ability to make a plan of African professionals. Pundits have been predicting the doom and gloom of safari hunting for decades but Africans always find a way. Some species have never been better...look at the genetics of sable or buff in SA as an example. You never know...TIA.

I want an importable elephant badly. Don’t think I’ll be able to wait 20 years, but would like to wait 3-5 if pricing and availability for import holds similar. I‘ve renovated a home out of pocket the last 7 months that I’ve reached the point of realizing I should have burned to the ground and stared fresh. And until I get the shop/gun room built next door, I don’t have room for about 80% of the mounts I have. I’m not going to slow on hunting, but also hoping to try and hold back on taking extra animals while in Africa, at least until I can get 6-7 sheep back on a wall. Luckily several friends are kindly caring for a lot of moose and bear for the foreseeable future.

I cannot think of much prettier display than ivory accompanying a fireplace. And would love to have a solid supply of elephant hide for a new brief case, boots, and all kinds of accessories, if getting big sections of hide back is even feasible. Love elephant hide. Really, really would love some elephant gun cases, holsters, belts, wallet, dop kit, eyeglass case…hell, if it’s normally leather, I’d have it made from my elephant given the option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agirlwithagun

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

A.A. wrote on Msprenger!'s profile.
Are you still looking for a 375 H&H?
NRA Life, ASSRA Life, GGCA Life
Sable @ the lodge this morning

Buffalo encounter this morning!