What Watch do you wear when you hunt?

I wear a Citizen Titanium Solar Day/Date not real fancy but very solid
I have same but rarely wear on a hunt need get back to basics less adornment. A cellphone in my webbing pocket had time.

And, what would be the purpose of such conspicuous consumption while on safari? Watches are jewelry nowadays. Completely unnecessary in today's world. I'll take another fine gun in lieu of a task the cell phone manages quite well, and even that is typically packed away during safari...like the typical NY deer hunter says..."Sun's Up-Guns Up; Sun's Down-Guns Down!" (they also are fond of saying "if it's brown, it's down.") In 6 safaris, I've never, ever concerned myself with the time of day while out in the bush, or wanting for people to gawk at my accoutrements. Only at airports did the time concern me, and even then, they have clocks on the flight schedule boards and I my phone...I detest jewelry. lol The watch and cigar posts ARE quite amusing, though...One could go on a nice safari by deciding not to purchase such a thing, and, the PH will gladly tell you the time at no extra cost (unless of course such requests are semi-hourly.) Agreed on the comments above re: watch construction, antiquities, etc.-when they were a necessary item. I inherited a radium dial (radioactive) watch from my grandfather and now knowing they caused people to become sick and die, I'm glad it broke shortly after receipt nearly 50 yrs ago (and I spent some time cleaning that haz waste site up in NJ-at the expense of people who wanted a watch that glowed 24/7 sans any batteries.)
So what watch do you wear hunting?

And, what would be the purpose of such conspicuous consumption while on safari? Watches are jewelry nowadays. Completely unnecessary in today's world. I'll take another fine gun in lieu of a task the cell phone manages quite well, and even that is typically packed away during safari...like the typical NY deer hunter says..."Sun's Up-Guns Up; Sun's Down-Guns Down!" (they also are fond of saying "if it's brown, it's down.") In 6 safaris, I've never, ever concerned myself with the time of day while out in the bush, or wanting for people to gawk at my accoutrements. Only at airports did the time concern me, and even then, they have clocks on the flight schedule boards and I my phone...I detest jewelry. lol The watch and cigar posts ARE quite amusing, though...One could go on a nice safari by deciding not to purchase such a thing, and, the PH will gladly tell you the time at no extra cost (unless of course such requests are semi-hourly.) Agreed on the comments above re: watch construction, antiquities, etc.-when they were a necessary item. I inherited a radium dial (radioactive) watch from my grandfather and now knowing they caused people to become sick and die, I'm glad it broke shortly after receipt nearly 50 yrs ago (and I spent some time cleaning that haz waste site up in NJ-at the expense of people who wanted a watch that glowed 24/7 sans any batteries.)

If everyone was like you the world would be a very boring place......:E No:

Upon further consideration, I'm going to wear this (strapped to my hat with belts from curio shops) from now on while hunting. It'll motivate me to stalk and bag intended game prior to it going off... $10K-akin to a starter rolex. View attachment 373374

Not sure why your hung up on this, your opinion was very clear in your first post. If I take a $20k double rifle to hunt an Elephant when a $800 rifle would do it is my preference. Same as me wearing a Rolex and you asking the PH if you are curious about the time. Your decision your $, my decision my $.

We obviously have the same taste in hunting Africa not in watches. To each his own and wish you the best on your hunts in the future!

Rolex GMT Master2. Not only beautiful, but accurate and very robust, never have to worry about it. Isnt that like a fine gun CW?!
It would be damn hard to bag that charging lion with a Rolex! Not at all. :p Sorry about the untimely response (i wasn't wearing a watch.) Function over form. I'll take that gun everytime! Sadly, Elvis didn't get into hunting, and died (entirely too much Bling!)

It would be damn hard to bag that charging lion with a Rolex! Not at all. :p Sorry about the untimely response (i wasn't wearing a watch.) Function over form. I'll take that gun everytime! Sadly, Elvis didn't get into hunting, and died (entirely too much Bling!)
Maybe some people can afford to have more then one piece of kit to be a premium product. You clearly only spend all your money on a rifle. And hunt naked? Barefoot? Or do you also value good quality boots and gear? I know my Crispi are $800 boots. I've seen some danners for $40 that could do the trick. I could wear $1 garbage bag for rain gear when mountain hunting. But I prefer my $400 kuiu rain jacket. And yes your cell phone can tell time. But I prefer my Swiss hand made watch. I'll be wearing this watch when you will be on your 25th iPhone. Point is. Everyone values different things. You clearly value a elephant hunt. Me personally.... Would never do it. I value going to Africa 4x for a PG then to spend all that on one animal. But that doesn't mean I think your crazy for doing it. You clearly just value a elephant that much. And good for you.

If everyone was like you the world would be a very boring place......:E No:
I fully disagree with that. You are suggesting that someone who wears Jewelry is more Interesting, while I'm engrossed in Nature-The Real World as I like to call it. The developed world is quite fake, and likes to advertise and sell all kinds of nonsense to people. Then a sort of faux-competition begins with those trinkets. That said, it IS their right to choose whatever they like, for their own reasons. You would be the first to use the term boring around me-as you cannot judge a man facetiously by his lack of a watch. If you look up the history of the word Jewelry, it's not a good one I assure you. Dad called me both a Puritan and Nature Boy. I'll take that. Both are in my blood.

'Vividly recall the very last time I wore a watch. It was a very nice, functional waterproof/shockproof greenish thing...I had just gotten off a $30K 200 MPH+ race bike (Highly modified Honda RC51/RVT1000R forget if it was the SP1 or 2 as i had both and nearly all priors,) it was an extremely hot July day, and I with an estimated core body temp of 105F, 'couldn't peel that full Alpinestars suit from my swollen wrist-it was catching on the watch. And then, Divine Intervention-the most gorgeous Angel saw my distress, came running over and helped me peel that suit off the watch, poured water over me and provided a cool drink. She looked at that watch in awe! I immediately took it off and gave it to her, as it caused me so much distress. End of Chap 1. Boring, I know. :p

"I hate F'n watches!!!" -Alexandar Živojinović RUSH Guitarist (and gazillionnaire! lol)

Last edited:
Maybe some people can afford to have more then one piece of kit to be a premium product. You clearly only spend all your money on a rifle. And hunt naked? Barefoot? Or do you also value good quality boots and gear? I know my Crispi are $800 boots. I've seen some danners for $40 that could do the trick. I could wear $1 garbage bag for rain gear when mountain hunting. But I prefer my $400 kuiu rain jacket. And yes your cell phone can tell time. But I prefer my Swiss hand made watch. I'll be wearing this watch when you will be on your 25th iPhone. Point is. Everyone values different things. You clearly value a elephant hunt. Me personally.... Would never do it. I value going to Africa 4x for a PG then to spend all that on one animal. But that doesn't mean I think your crazy for doing it. You clearly just value a elephant that much. And good for you.
I agree with all of the quality, necessary gear you mention (as quality hunting gear is often the key to success), but a watch-is unnecessary in today's world. It's just jewelry as stated above. The elephant, you'll find, provided an extreme value to the entire tribe that issued its permit, consumed, and kept every single part of it, for its own use! The people I fed, clothed, and sheltered with that fee was a much better use of the money that walking around with an equal share of precious metals on my wrist, IMHO. That's Value to me. I don't think I have to explain which I'd rather have; a watch or memories of that hunt. It's so distant, but there was a time when I wore watches, dressing up for work (we called it Acting-and felt it was fake. Performance is irrespective of wardrobe.) So I started my own business with no code whatsoever, excepting excellent work, great customer service and the best pricing. I guess you could say I was tired of paying for others' watches, on their watch, rather than collecting and distributing that $ differently. All that said, to each, their own!

Last edited:
I fully disagree with that. You are suggesting that someone who wears Jewelry is more Interesting, while I'm engrossed in Nature-The Real World as I like to call it. The developed world is quite fake, and likes to advertise and sell all kinds of nonsense to people. Then a sort of faux-competition begins with those trinkets. That said, it IS their right to choose whatever they like, for their own reasons. You would be the first to use the term boring around me-as you cannot judge a man facetiously by his lack of a watch. If you look up the history of the word Jewelry, it's not a good one I assure you. Dad called me both a Puritan and Nature Boy. I'll take that. Both are in my blood.

'Vividly recall the very last time I wore a watch. It was a very nice, functional waterproof/shockproof greenish thing...I had just gotten off a $30K 200 MPH+ race bike (Highly modified Honda RC51/RVT1000R forget if it was the SP1 or 2 as i had both and nearly all priors,) it was an extremely hot July day, and I with an estimated core body temp of 105F, 'couldn't peel that full Alpinestars suit from my swollen wrist-it was catching on the watch. And then, Divine Intervention-the most gorgeous Angel saw my distress, came running over and helped me peel that suit off the watch, poured water over me and provided a cool drink. She looked at that watch in awe! I immediately took it off and gave it to her, as it caused me so much distress. End of Chap 1. Boring, I know. :p

"I hate F'n watches!!!" -Alexandar Živojinović RUSH Guitarist

Your entitled to your opinion...but I will stick with what I said....nothing you have changes my opinion..... :E Shrug:

I agree with all of the quality, necessary gear you mention (as quality hunting gear is often the key to success), but a watch-is unnecessary in today's world. It's just jewelry as stated above. The elephant, you'll find, provided an extreme value to the entire tribe that issued its permit, consumed, and kept every single part of it, for its own use! The people I fed, clothed, and sheltered with that fee was a much better use of the money that walking around with an equal share of precious metals on my wrist, IMHO. That's Value to me. I don't think I have to explain which I'd rather have; a watch or memories of that hunt.

It is not a binary choice. I have hunted more elephants than any other DG species and will hunt one more next August (in addition to buffalo and leopard) and will wear "jewelry" that I like while using a double rifle for game.

If we did/bought just what is necessary, then no one would be hunting in Africa, not to mention it would be a very boring life.

Heck, if Biden wins the election won't be able to leave as much to my kids anyway, so might as well spend it. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Thinking of getting this (Endurance Pro model) as a beater watch. I might use it for Africa instead of a more expensive one.

1604422289246.png

lol i'm just talking watches here or the lack thereof. i'll take the double for $500(00), Alex! lol I myself find hunting the entire natural World very necessary. Hunting is an instinct that should not be lost. Watches can certainly attract a mate! Typ. the wrong one!!! lol

I agree with all of the quality, necessary gear you mention (as quality hunting gear is often the key to success), but a watch-is unnecessary in today's world. It's just jewelry as stated above. The elephant, you'll find, provided an extreme value to the entire tribe that issued its permit, consumed, and kept every single part of it, for its own use! The people I fed, clothed, and sheltered with that fee was a much better use of the money that walking around with an equal share of precious metals on my wrist, IMHO. That's Value to me. I don't think I have to explain which I'd rather have; a watch or memories of that hunt. It's so distant, but there was a time when I wore watches, dressing up for work (we called it Acting-and felt it was fake. Performance is irrespective of wardrobe.) So I started my own business with no code whatsoever, excepting excellent work, great customer service and the best pricing. I guess you could say I was tired of paying for others' watches, on their watch, rather than collecting and distributing that $ differently. All that said, to each, their own!

You are starting to get under my skin. And I'll tell you why. Not because your a anti watcher. But because you argue like a anti hunter. So because YOU have determined that watches are not necessary. Then the whole world needs to stop wearing them? I have no problem with difference of opinion. But I really can't stomach those who project their views on others. If you don't like watches, move the fuck on. Stop preaching to us that we are not one with the woods because we wear a watch. It's such ridiculous thinking. Anti hunters also argue we don't NEED to hunt anymore. There is meat at the grocery store. And yes we all here agree and know that's not all its about. And can argue that. But they still refuse to listen, change their point of view. Or more importantly mind their own damn business. I have a problem with anti hunters. But I don't have a problem with people who don't hunt. Many people just choose not to and live there merry lives. But I hate those who have to sit there and pass judgment as you have as soon as you stepped foot in here. So before you criticize spike for "judging you" read your initial rant over again.

So you have determined a really good gun is worth spending on. And good clothes and boots too. Yet some guys think your a little girl for carrying that fancy gun and gear. They hunt with a handmade Wood long bow and barefoot. So which of you two morons are right? How about your both right for yourself. And keep it to you damn self.

Thanks

You are starting to get under my skin. And I'll tell you why. Not because your a anti watcher. But because you argue like a anti hunter. So because YOU have determined that watches are not necessary. Then the whole world needs to stop wearing them? I have no problem with difference of opinion. But I really can't stomach those who project their views on others. If you don't like watches, move the fuck on. Stop preaching to us that we are not one with the woods because we wear a watch. It's such ridiculous thinking. Anti hunters also argue we don't NEED to hunt anymore. There is meat at the grocery store. And yes we all here agree and know that's not all its about. And can argue that. But they still refuse to listen, change their point of view. Or more importantly mind their own damn business. I have a problem with anti hunters. But I don't have a problem with people who don't hunt. Many people just choose not to and live there merry lives. But I hate those who have to sit there and pass judgment as you have as soon as you stepped foot in here. So before you criticize spike for "judging you" read your initial rant over again.

So you have determined a really good gun is worth spending on. And good clothes and boots too. Yet some guys think your a little girl for carrying that fancy gun and gear. They hunt with a handmade Wood long bow and barefoot. So which of you two morons are right? How about your both right for yourself. And keep it to you damn self.

Thanks
:A Thumbs Up::D Beers:

Thanks
I had him on ignore after his "real men only use a forty something" diatribe, but had to uncloak to see this exchange. Well said. :giggle: Now where was that ignore button? :unsure:

Last edited:
the PH will gladly tell you the time at no extra cost (unless of course such requests are semi-hourly.

That's true. I'm sure he'd shoot your animals for you too if you ask him really nicely. You could even stay at home and skype him on your mobile, think of the savings!

Personally, I'll keep my own time and shoot my own animals. I derive more pleasure from both if I can use a beautiful piece of exquisite craftsmanship to do so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg