What Type Of Magazine Do You Prefer On Your Bolt Action Rifle?

I have both. One each for SAKO in .375H&H. Tikka - Detach
Browning - Floor Plate
MOA Rifle - Floor Plate
A few others with Floor Plate. Remingtons…

I guess I don’t have a preference or problem either way…

I do bring a spare detachable box magazine with me for each rifle I hunt with. I don’t care for the plastic Tikka Mags…

I've used DM magazines in my Browning .338 A Bolt for years and my son's Remington 700 DM .300WM for elk hunting and the Remington for an African PG hunt. No issues. I would use my CZ 550 though for a buffalo hunt if/when I ever get the chance.

After being quite successful with a muzzle loader, I only load one in the spout and one in the magazine, here in Ontario. I only own commercial Mauser’s with floor plates, sold my A-bolt with the removable box magazine years ago.If I was in Africa I’m pretty sure I would load the magazine to capacity.
The only magazine I have ever had some trouble with was a Ruger 10/22 factory mag. The replacement works fine as well as a aftermarket 25 shot banana clip.
You know you can disassemble them, clean them and reassemble them with an Allen wrench. I've done it on thirty year old versions and it worked out wonderfully. Simply Google "ruger 10/22 magazine disassembly" and you'll find all the information you need.

You know you can disassemble them, clean them and reassemble them with an Allen wrench. I've done it on thirty year old versions and it worked out wonderfully. Simply Google "ruger 10/22 magazine disassembly" and you'll find all the information you need.
Didn't know that. I haven't cleaned mine since I bought it in the '80s. Thanks Forrest!

I like the military Mauser style best, with the Winchester M70/ Cz 550 being second.
I dislike any detachable magazines or fixed magazines with a release inside the trigger Guard.
But my Interarms Whitworths have the magazine release in the trigger guard? Should I sell them?

I've only seen problems with a floor plate release a couple of times.

Once was when the owner did some work on it in order to get it to open easier, and it did, every time that he pulled the trigger.

The other time was my brother in law's Remington. He was insistent on loading it from the open floorplate. We were elk hunting in 3' of snow. He hit a elk and went to load back up only to dump all the rounds down into the snow. He forgot that he had more cartridges in his pocket and started digging in the snow looking for the ones that he had dropped.

I have 4 rifles with that hinged floorplate and have had zero problems with them. I have another that takes a 3 shot magazine that will jamb if it isn't inserted properly.

Once was when the owner did some work on it in order to get it to open easier, and it did, every time that he pulled the trigger.

The other time was my brother in law's Remington. He was insistent on loading it from the open floorplate. We were elk hunting in 3' of snow. He hit a elk and went to load back up only to dump all the rounds down into the snow. He forgot that he had more cartridges in his pocket and started digging in the snow looking for the ones that he had dropped.

I have 4 rifles with that hinged floorplate and have had zero problems with them. I have another that takes a 3 shot magazine that will jamb if it isn't inserted properly.

Last edited:

"He was insistent on loading it from the open floorplate" Wow! There's a future Cape Buffalo hunter for ya! Wouldn't be any snow on the ground though. LOL

Kind of agree with @Puddle. Keep it simple, the same for all serious rifles and as reliable as possible.
All mine, except for a Win M52 22 with a simple single stack detachable magazine, have simple box that loads from the top. I have gotten into the habit of loading into the magazine with my right thumb (I'm right handed) and do not have to look at the rifle to load the magazine. I do not practice nor use the hasty loading technique of throwing a cartridge on top of the follower or into the chamber even though a couple of my CRFs will chamber a round that way. It's a simple habit of chambering from the magazine that works failsafe with all my rifles, every time. I only use the hinged floorplate to empty the magazine at end of the day or when needed to empty the magazine. All my high power rifles with a hinged floorplate have a similar Win 70 type latch that is fairly stiff and positive. It would be quite a trick to have one of them open unexpectedly. :)

What about you? Does it matter to you either way?
I want on hunting rifle:

- double stack magazine,
- 4, 5 or more capacity
- flush with stock
- Hinged plate welcome
-Removable mag, acceptable (if securing is good)

What I definitely dont like:
- single stack magazines on hunting rifle. As it will result either in reduced mag capacity, or
magazine will not be flush with stock, with extended cap mag.

Removable, but not plastic
Carbon fibre etc great. Just not plastic
Have2x 375 steyr and they have plastic mags. They crack and break especially if dropped

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois