What to do if you need to store your trophies in their crate?

jbeach

AH member
Reaction score
South Carolina Low Country, near Charleston
Media
Member of
NRA Life Member, DU, NWTF, Palmetto Gun Club
Hunted
South Africa
Hey All,
We have our house up for sale and have moved the trophies we had into a climate controlled storage building. Our trophies from our last trip to Africa are ready to ship and we will not be able to accept them here until we sell the house and get settled in a new one. So we need to have the trophy crate shipped to a warehouse or somewhere that it can be unloaded and safely stored until then. Anyone ever been in this situation ? Anyone have an idea where we could ship it and have it safely stored ? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

Why not just store them at the same facility the older trophies are at? Did you put the other trophies back into a crate or just mount them to the walls in the unit?

I might think about adding some mouse and insect control to the storage unit or into the crate. Do at least a good flashlight/mirror inspection if you don't take them out of the crate.

Well mine have been in storage for over 3 years. I wrapped them is plastic and bubble wrap. I check on them every 6 months. They are stored out in area were the storage fee is low. It's not climate controlled and I see no ill effects. It's northern Wisconsin. Not the ideal situation, but it is what it is.

Another one is store them at the Taxidermists until you are ready to have them shipped.
Or if Crated they can wait on the beginning end until you are ready to have them shipped.
See about that end first.

All this is of course dependant on you not needing to get a "banned critter" in before some bloody deadline.

Thanks All,
I emailed the shipper in Africa but have not heard back. I am going to use ocean freight because I am not in a hurry so I will use Fauna & Flora to clear. Talked to a lady with them yesterday and she said if when it gets here and is ready to ship to me and I am still not ready that they have room in their warehouse to store it for a while. So that will work. Hopefully going the ocean route I will be ready by the time they get here anyway. Thanks again.

......... I am still not ready that they have room in their warehouse to store it for a while. .............

Glad one of the folks already being paid is willing to help you store it for a while.
Hope your move/house gets done in time and you do not have to test what "a while" actually is.

If they store it for free that is wonderful, most of them charge a bundle for storage.

Agreed, you had better find out just how much per day it will cost.

Thanks everyone. I also received an email from the shipper in SA. They said they would hold off on the shipping and be glad to hold our shipment in their warehouse at no extra charge until we are ready. It might take a little longer than they are thinking, but I wrote them back and let them know if it came to a point where they needed to go ahead and ship it just let us know and we would deal with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniata1951

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross