What kind of camo?

m9a9g9i9c

Reaction score
Hi, busy planning a trip to Limpopo ZA this september and I am wondering what camo I should use over there ?
I am thinking something like Predator camo brown deception....
Anyone have better idea ?

thx

F

Predator-Camouflage-Brown-Deception.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am no expert but you can use what ever you want. Stick with dull greens and tans. Camo isn't required. If you already have the camo then use it. But I don't think you need to go buy it. My PH was wearing bluejeans and green shirts to kakhi pants and green shirts.

Since I'm bowhunting and have to get within 35 yards to get a good shot, I think I'll need more than bluejeans and green shirts......

I think your choice is fine!

See what camo and solid colors other bowhunters are wearing in South Africa... You can also see the background colors of the vegetation and earth during various times of the year. Pictures taken from the Africa Bowhunting Photo Gallery on AH.

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

That's my fault. I didn't realize you where bow hunting. Jerome has posted some great pics. Some with and some without camo. I would bet the non camo where in a blind. But to be safe go with the camo.

I have killed many amimals with my bow wearing blue jeans, not that camo doesnt help but I am just saying stealth with no camo beats camo with no steath every time

The best camo I have seen for that type of open mixed shrub county whether it is in Africa, or NA prairies or mountains above the timber is Max-4. Anything will work great though as long as you stay away from the dark - bark type- camos, at a distance they just make you look like a big black bear! LOL Light open patterns rule the open country.

I don't think you need camo. I'm a bowhunter myself and believe you will get farther with medium browns and drab greens. As said above, some camo will have you looking like a dark blob. If you really want to blend, go for a multi colored ghili suit and forget about the pattern printed on your tee shirt.

The pattern you suggested is fine, as is most any open pattern with neutral colors. Solids in dull, neutral colors such as light brown, green and olive are fine as well. I have a tendency to get hooked on the newest camo from Mossy Oak or Real Tree, but then I have to remind myself that man survived with a bow for centuries before “camo” as we know it came into existence (and they had to get a whole lot closer than we do). A significant number of game animals, including birds such as turkeys, ducks and geese, were pushed to the brink of extinction in North America long before patterns were printed on shirts and pants.

All this being said, it is exciting planning a trip to the Limpopo region! If Predator Camo is what you have confidence in, go for it and have a great trip!

Scent, Sound, and Movement - are far more important to most undulates.

Like faded M80 Woodland BDU's, just to break up the silhouette, but more because they are lightweight 100% rip-stop cotton, baggy, and cool.

s-l1600.jpg

Red

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    336.8 KB · Views: 424
I like Mossy Oak Brush. It's not dark and blends well with most of the SA areas I hunt. I've found that if I stand still in the shade animals have a hard time discerning just what I am. Many times they will stand and look trying to figure me out. Slow movement and I get some good shots. By the way, I am a rifle hunter.

stealth with no camo beats camo with no steath every time
Well said.

My favorite camo is military surplus BDUs in 100% cotton ripstop material. It’s comfortable, tough and cheap. However, some countries frown on the use of military-style clothing.

Well said.

My favorite camo is military surplus BDUs in 100% cotton ripstop material. It’s comfortable, tough and cheap. However, some countries frown on the use of military-style clothing.

Also get the MilSpec PROPPER brand 100% cotton Ripstop BDU's in Khaki and O.D., and then alternate colors for the Boonie hat/Shirt/Pants (Kh/OD/Kh or OD/Kh/OD), to break up the "uniform".

They also happen to be currently on sale Here, 25% off (and free shipping for +$99) w/ the coupon code.

Red.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 10.58.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 10.58.27 AM.png
    675.9 KB · Views: 252
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 10.58.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 10.58.29 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 235
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 10.58.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 10.58.30 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 245
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 10.58.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 10.58.32 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 258
Please keep in mind that African countries do not like military camo, and in some it´s illegal to wear them.

That first picture that Jerome posted looks like the discontinued/out of business "Sticks and Limbs."
I was calling elk with a friend in Wyoming many years ago with him being the shooter not far in front of me. I lost sight of him and remember thinking damn, this pattern of camo actually does work.
Good memories.

Honestly most patterns will work. I wore my kuiu Verde 2.0. I'll show you a pic of me further away. Play where's Waldo.

Now mind you I was rifle hunting but I would have had no issue wearing it bow hunting.

IMG_20180817_121402.jpg

@Chago that took me a while to find you. Fun picture. I am also a kuiu fan, their gear is excellent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andresonjames29

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.