Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
PA SCI, Various Endless Mtns., PA Region Clubs
Hunted
Zimbabwe 2x, Namibia 2x, RSA 2x, USA, Canada
Read Kevin Robertson's Africa's Most Dangerous. Or just consider using Norma PH ammo in 375 featuring The woodleigh 350 grain weld core softs and solids. Due to the rather high SD and resultant energy, "they perform more like a 416." Although I now use my 416 I've had two 375s and they are a pleasure to shoot at any reasonable distance.

BeeMaa

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
Nothing wrong with a good .375 but .416 would be better. Use Barnes bullets and forget the crap about using solids.
The more PH's I talk to, the more I hear recommending premium bonded softs & mono's.
Swift A-Frame, TBBC, Barnes TSX and Norma Oryx are commonly mentioned.
The current bullet technology is so great that solids for a client are rarely necessary.
The better plan is to get very accurate with your softs and you won't need a solid.

Do I plan on taking solids on my Buffalo safari...yes.
But they will be for use on smaller antelope, not Buffalo.
I'll keep a few in my cartridge belt, not in the magazine.
Fortunately I've found solids that shoot to the same POI as my softs.

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
The more PH's I talk to, the more I hear recommending premium bonded softs & mono's.
Swift A-Frame, TBBC, Barnes TSX and Norma Oryx are commonly mentioned.
The current bullet technology is so great that solids for a client are rarely necessary.
The better plan is to get very accurate with your softs and you won't need a solid.

Do I plan on taking solids on my Buffalo safari...yes.
But they will be for use on smaller antelope, not Buffalo.
I'll keep a few in my cartridge belt, not in the magazine.
Fortunately I've found solids that shoot to the same POI as my softs.

And you never know, I once had a buffalo hunt turn into an buffalo/elephant hunt. If I hadn’t had solids on hand I could not have taken advantage of the opportunity.

fourfive8

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana
I’m trying to understand why you think an iron sighted 458 shooting 350 grain bullets at 2700 fps would be better for buffalo than a reasonably scoped 458 shooting 500 gr bullets at 2250 FPS or a reasonably scoped 375 shooting 300 gr bullets at 2500 fps?

And really the same applies to all the PG you may encounter. There would be negative benefit of trying the iron sighted 458 no matter the bullet weight if pressed too use it past 100-200 yds on a smaller PG. Red Leg pointed that real possibility out in a previous post

Last edited:

Tanks

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
I recall hearing from PH's in this forum and elsewhere that they prefer their clients to use a 375 for buff because they can shoot them better than larger calibres. Lets hear from some PH's .....

Hogwash! Accuracy and big bores are not mutually exclusive. I don't know why people keep saying that based on a few anecdotal evidence. If someone is a horrible shot with a .458, they most likely will be a horrible shot with a .375.

BeeMaa

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
And you never know, I once had a buffalo hunt turn into an buffalo/elephant hunt. If I hadn’t had solids on hand I could not have taken advantage of the opportunity.
I'm with you.
Better to have them and not need them, than the other way around.

Reactions: WAB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GusDelatte

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Tally-Ho Hunting Safaris wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J