What is the draw of a Ruger#1?

It's been pointed out there's no use trying to make a Chevy a Ferrari. Probably true, but you can make a working class Joe a sharp dressed man with a little work.
The first pic is my #1 with the original Ruger matte polyeurathane finish. The second and third is after I stripped it and refinished it with Pilkington's gold and brown stain and multiple fine coats of Pilkingtons clear gunstock finish.

20170425_083423.jpg
20170428_203816.jpg
20170428_203838.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@Ryan please forgive my ignorance, but how do you strip the polyurethane?
I've stripped paint and varnish before, but it's not pretty and with poly that goes deeper I am interested in what you did, as the stock looks absolutely beautiful with what you did.
Well Done!

//Gus

Last edited:
@Ryan please forgive my ignorance, but how do you strip the polyurethane?
I've stripped paint and varnish before, but it's not pretty and with poly that goes deeper I am interested in what you did, as the stock looks absolutely beautiful with what you did.
Well Done!

//Gus
I used Citristrip after seeing a guy on Youtube strip a rifle with it. I found it at Home Depot. It took three applications. First took off most with a couple tenacious spots that the second and third took off, and I scraped off the last few pieces of residue after that. The down side of the stuff is it has a chalky residue. But a couple light washings and rub downs with acetone got all that out of the pores. Then I let it all air dry a couple days just to make sure it was all out of the wood. Finish however you want after that.

She's looking like she's ready for the prom

Gotta love YouTube for educational videos.

Mine's a bicentennial edition in 458 win mag and it looks brand new. who ever had it before me didn't shoot it much. Its just fun to go to the range and blast it off. turns alot of head's

Ryan you sure did a nice job on your #1

Very nice @ D.M.V.

Ryan you sure did a nice job on your #1
Thanks. I thought about getting nicer wood, but I recalled a lot of classic rifles like W.D.M Bell's and Selby's Rigby's don't have exhibition grade walnut, just decent walnut with a proper finish. So I that route, took my time, and it worked out.
Very nice @ D.M.V.

@D.M.V a 458 does turn heads at the range! Yours looks very sharp as well.

Thanks everyone. hears the best part. I paid 675$ for it. it was on armslist for ever. I kept seeing it for probably over 6 months. Had the interest but never had the extra cash to meet his 1k price tag. Then one day i called the guy. He was older and got it in the mid 80s from some guy. as he said when he was going threw his big caliber phase. shot it a handful of times over the years then shot it less and less over time cause of the recoil. then hes getting older and now ready to sell. said in over 6 months i was the only call he ever had. So i drove over and we spent the afternoon talking guns I had 900$ in my pocket cause i expected at least that in a bargaining situation. But he really liked me and probably saw himself in this 35 y/o kid swooning over the gun. Then he looked at me in the eye and said kid, I paid 675$ for it and if your gonna load for it and shoot it give me 675$. One of my best gun buying memories. now it's one of my most treasured guns

A keeper for sure!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OdessaHayg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.