What is the best place for Kudu or Eland + other PG hunting?

Luminous Ham

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunted
Namibia
I, my friend and his son, all tree hunters, are taking the very first steps towards a joint hunting trip. I would want to go after a kudu or an eland, and my friend and his son mainly after other PGs (I would actually prefer a buffalo, but PG daily rates seems to become more expensive if in areas best for buffalo, or in some areas good for buffalo, PGs are scarce).

Hunts will he 1:1, so should be able to accommodate that. And two or three observers.

Cost is somehow an issue, but am aware that regardless it will be expensive.

Want a place where lions, elephants and buffalos are roaming (and somewhat likely to be encountered).

Do not want: fences (be they internal or external), Cameroon, South Africa, nor Mozambique (unless really by far the best place, but seems also a bit expensive).

Any experiences and suggestions for locations and why are most welcome. And if you could also indicate the best time of the year, and why, that would also be appreciated.

Good day mr @Luminous Ham
We will be able to assist you with your request @DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS we are based in the Lowveld of South Africa bordering the Kruger National Park.
Will send you a PM.
Regards
Derian Koekemoer

Whoever has Sengwe Research area now. When I hunted there it was with Mokore. I think it’s with CMS right now.

Would be happy to help you in RSA
You are welcomE to email me or dm me on here
We are in northernpart of limpopo province

I read your requirements and my first impression is that you need to establish a solid set of requirement for your safari. My thoughts in having planned a number of adventures where a group was going.

Group Dynamics:
1. The group should be people that get along VERY well and adjust to problems encountered and help each other no matter what. all it takes is one person to make the trip miserable for everyone. Friends can be lost over one bad trip.

2. The group needs to have the same goals in mind. IE hunters are 1:1 are the observers going to be riding along every day or do they want to do non hunting sightseeing? Is everyone good with being in a remote tent camp? or are some wanting a nice lodge and access to a spa? There may need to be compromises made if there is a big differences in expectations.

3. Alot of the research for where to hunt will be driven by the groups wishes and desires for the adventure. once you have that nailed down you can then

Selection process:
1. once you have the group requirements nailed down that will drive where you want to hunt.

2. What is your budget- this will also drive the selection process. The more remote the higher the logistical costs are to get everything there. You group travel, the camp setup, food fuel etc etc.

3. Are members of the group wanting to do something besides riding along on the hunt?
South Africa and Namibia have more option than some other countries

4.. There are many outfitters is southern africa that will be able to fill make you hunt a reality.
a. Nice lodges that are in areas you want to have elephant, lion, and buffalo roaming
Some places in South Africa, Namibia, and Zambia come to mind

b. Luxury tent camps
Namibia Caprivi area, Botswana, Mozambique, Tanzania, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Cameron etc

Hi @Luminous Ham

I can offer you a hunt in South Africa or Zimbabwe

I've send you a PM

Cheers
Dieter

I, my friend and his son, all tree hunters, are taking the very first steps towards a joint hunting trip. I would want to go after a kudu or an eland, and my friend and his son mainly after other PGs (I would actually prefer a buffalo, but PG daily rates seems to become more expensive if in areas best for buffalo, or in some areas good for buffalo, PGs are scarce).

Hunts will he 1:1, so should be able to accommodate that. And two or three observers.

Cost is somehow an issue, but am aware that regardless it will be expensive.

Want a place where lions, elephants and buffalos are roaming (and somewhat likely to be encountered).

Do not want: fences (be they internal or external), Cameroon, South Africa, nor Mozambique (unless really by far the best place, but seems also a bit expensive).

Any experiences and suggestions for locations and why are most welcome. And if you could also indicate the best time of the year, and why, that would also be appreciated.
I am sorry but cheap will not get you elephant and lion nearby. You are skiing for two different hunts. Cheap is private ranch land with lots of PG. Fences do not matter when you hunt the larger properties (I've been hunting 80,000 ac in RSA and 130,000ac in Namibia for reference).
PG in a DG area will be something you can do but for more than double the price.
Do some research and best of luck.
Regards,
Philip

I read your requirements and my first impression is that you need to establish a solid set of requirement for your safari. My thoughts in having planned a number of adventures where a group was going.
Thx. All those things are taken care, excellent group, observers either rough it if need be or dont go. Luxury can be before or after. There are so many other things to discuss, eg caliber, rifle rental, vaccine, insurance, flights, etc etc. Please do not worry about that here, only about places that fulfill my criteria.

I am sorry but cheap will not get you elephant and lion nearby. You are skiing for two different hunts. Cheap is private ranch land with lots of PG. Fences do not matter when you hunt the larger properties (I've been hunting 80,000 ac in RSA and 130,000ac in Namibia for reference).
PG in a DG area will be something you can do but for more than double the price.
Do some research and best of luck.
Regards,
Philip
I am certain I did not write cheap anywhere, in fact I acknowledged it was going to be expensive, but yes a charter into Selous probably would not fly. I am aware that fences for many do not matter on big properties, but it does for me - I have also done that, now I want something different. I want to have the (perhaps unlikely but nevertheless) chance to come over lion tracks, or a herd of elephants.

I believe I am doing research, that is why I started this thread. Any suggestions to what other research would yield a good overview of the locations fulfilling the requirements are most welcome; I have searched but have not found guidance on where that would be?

Bubye Valley Conservancy in Zim would fit your bill if you don't mind 800K acres fenced?
Lions and elephant encounters are a daily occurence there.
However you have to get in line for 2025 or 26.

@Luminous Ham I agree on the additional things that need to be discussed. But the rifles, vaccines etc decision will all be made once you determine where you are hunting and what you are hunting and are decision in the planning process that are just a side note till you determine where you are going, at least in my opinion.

What area would you recommend?

Both NKWE and Tholo are in the Ghanzi area bordering the Greater Kalahari Game Preserve area. Hundreds of thousands of acres of free range hunting. They have really large kudu and eland in the area. Free ranging dangerous game as well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LottieStok

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.