What is the best car you have ever owned?

1968 Plymouth Barracuda fastback. Formula S suspension package 383 CU engine four bbl carb 4 speed manual trans 3:23 positrack rearend. Could run to 120 mph then open the 4 bbl. Loved high speed corners in it.
@jduckhunter love the super bird. almost bought a used one but it had an automatic trans and couldn't make myself do it. Stick shift only for me.

Pretty much all 6 of the Land Cruisers I have owned...40, 80 and 100 series. Difficult to beat the combination of dependability, off-road capability and comfort of the 80 and 100 series.

If "best" means combination of dependability, utility and comfort....100 series Land Cruiser/Lexus LX-470.

Nice video of Valentino driving and talking about himself and the countach...as I said you had to learn how to drive it...then you could have serious fun....unlike the supercars of today with all the driver aids...which means anyone can drive them fast....probably why most don't interest me at all...

2008 Porsche 911 C4S
untitled-2497.jpg
on track@National Corvette Museum.

!999 Chevy Suburban 2wd. Put 375,000 miles on it with no major repairs. The Ohio winters and salt finally caught up with rust. Was still running good when we donated it to a charity.

I've had 2 classic Land Rovers, a series IIa, and a Series III - I loved how they looked, but something stayed broken all the time.

I've had a Landcruiser 40, 55 and still have a 60 and a Prado - off-road perfection! (I've owned Land cruisers for 40 years and have never had to do a serious repair)

I've been driving the FJ60 since 1987 and it's still going strong, so I guess that has to qualify as the best car I've ever owned.

would love to get a hilux in the states but not to be. Was always a chevy man but
drive a tundra now hoping for better longevity!!!

I wish Toyota would import REAL utilitarian Land Cruisers into the US like they did in the 80's.

It would be nice to have a rugged SUV to choose from in the mix.

Maybe Ford has done it with the new Bronco, but I've only seen one on the road.

The Bronco "sport" is a joke.

I wish Toyota would import REAL utilitarian Land Cruisers into the US like they did in the 80's.

It would be nice to have a rugged SUV to choose from in the mix.

Maybe Ford has done it with the new Bronco, but I've only seen one on the road.

The Bronco "sport" is a joke.
Trucks are the modern day passenger cars whereas they used to be used for work. In Phoenix trucks have lift kits that could ford the Mississippi river and tires big enough to float them but the owners wouldn't dare to take them off road because they would get dirt on them. So why would any manufacture actually make some vehicles for serious off road work?
A current SUV ad has a nice comfortable knob on the console that will increase gravity so the brakes still work when going down a steep incline. I think the SUV is self washing when it senses a certain thickness of dirt on it. No, don't even think of putting muddy hunting boots in it.

Trucks are the modern day passenger cars whereas they used to be used for work. In Phoenix trucks have lift kits that could ford the Mississippi river and tires big enough to float them but the owners wouldn't dare to take them off road because they would get dirt on them. So why would any manufacture actually make some vehicles for serious off road work?
A current SUV ad has a nice comfortable knob on the console that will increase gravity so the brakes still work when going down a steep incline. I think the SUV is self washing when it senses a certain thickness of dirt on it. No, don't even think of putting muddy hunting boots in it.
The F150/Silverado crowd in town use their's like a car but out here in the sticks I see plenty of F250/350 and 2500/3500 trucks being used as everyday farm and work trucks. I'll put my truck in that category. It's an 2020 F250 Lariat and when it's clean it's as nice as my exwifes Audi. However, I use mine to haul stuff. Everything from a dump trailer to junk to lumber to manure to implements. I agree that the more modified a truck is the least likely it ever sees dirt or real work. All the work trucks I mentioned above are almost always bone stock.

2004 Toyota Echo RS 5-Speed... Got 62MPG when I brought it through Quebec... Still my daily driver... Not to mention that it's the Rally Sport edition... Best handling car I've ever driven!

Every Honda motorcycle 'ever had (50cc-1,000cc), but Nissan trucks have been MOST reliable....'81, '86, '93, '97, '04, took an excursion in '11 and got a Toyota Tundra (it was reliable but brakes/handling/comfort were sacrificed), '18 turbo V8 diesel Titan ('may have it for life if they still sell diesel!) All of the above trucks went ~400K-500K miles excepting one used Titan the dealer used to plow snow :( and the Toyota began having major problems at 280K (when I literally rolled into a Nissan dealership en route to a hunt in TX, in Gulfport MS and quickly traded back up to Nissan! I was pleased to see quite a few diesel Nissans in use when hunting in Zim. All that said, all 3 brands are pretty damn good. 'Used to drive 60K-100K+ mi/yr but more like 10-20K now that my office is at home. Is that now justification to own a Ford? :p Of all the above, where my driving career began as a 4-5 y/o was with a '65 John Deere 110C, where i learned to drive, switch out and maintain machinery, the value of hard work and cash payments!!! I could write a small book on its accomplishments, but it still resides in my garage today (it's not pretty, but it runs!) Tractors: Massey Ferguson ('58 still runs perfectly,), '60s-70s Fords (they're fine as they run <2,000 rpm), and just about any vintage John Deere. As they are on-strike now, I'm a tad bit concerned about obtaining parts in the short-term...The '81 Nissan (Datsun) is in front of the '66 Buick GS (480 c.i./550 Hp/3 MPG)-educational, fun for <11 seconds, costly and impractical. Polaris ATVs/UTVs are also exceptionally reliable! All the above are/were maintained properly-'Treat them right and they'll never let you down!!!

48406755_10156035551865208_2080406850225831936_n.jpg
48413658_10156041594160208_6823346665492054016_o.jpg
IMG_20201119_162505943~2.jpg
IMG_20200531_124859075~2.jpg
LonestarHwy.JPG
John-Deere-110112-Narrow-Front-Kits-For-Round.jpg
IMG_20200517_120502897~2.jpg
IMG_20200531_170841024~2.jpg
IMG_20200701_205842006.jpg
IMG_20200824_133007480~2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
2005 Toyota Tundra TRD. 87k actual miles and still runs great.

I have the itch for something new, but would have to go with a mid-size to fit in my garage.
Test drove a GMC Canyon AT4 just yesterday (and liked it), but I dunno.

Can my "best car" be a bike? 2010 BMW GSA with minor modifications. The tractor of the motorcycle world, but mine is almost completely street ridden. Can pack for nearly any trip (including hunting/fishing) and still get you there in style. Never tried a tuxedo, but was a daily driver to work (yes in the snow and rain) for a few years without a wardrobe malfunction.
View attachment 432650
That is awesome!!

For a very reasonable price, this can be YOUR "best car you have ever owned". :cool:
I'd love a GSA, but my wife forbids me from being around motorcycles after a near fatal wreck years ago (not my fault). This is what she'll go along with now, so I won't complain.
Cayman.jpg

I'd love a GSA, but my wife forbids me from being around motorcycles after a near fatal wreck years ago (not my fault). This is what she'll go along with now, so I won't complain.
View attachment 436163
GSA is closer to a tractor than a motorcycle...LOL. Nice whip you have there.

The F150/Silverado crowd in town use their's like a car but out here in the sticks I see plenty of F250/350 and 2500/3500 trucks being used as everyday farm and work trucks. I'll put my truck in that category. It's an 2020 F250 Lariat and when it's clean it's as nice as my exwifes Audi. However, I use mine to haul stuff. Everything from a dump trailer to junk to lumber to manure to implements. I agree that the more modified a truck is the least likely it ever sees dirt or real work. All the work trucks I mentioned above are almost always bone stoc
:)

Every Honda motorcycle 'ever had (50cc-1,000cc), but Nissan trucks have been MOST reliable....'81, '86, '93, '97, '04, took an excursion in '11 and got a Toyota Tundra (it was reliable but brakes/handling/comfort were sacrificed), '18 turbo V8 diesel Titan ('may have it for life if they still sell diesel!) All of the above trucks went ~400K-500K miles excepting one used Titan the dealer used to plow snow :( and the Toyota began having major problems at 280K (when I literally rolled into a Nissan dealership en route to a hunt in TX, in Gulfport MS and quickly traded back up to Nissan! I was pleased to see quite a few diesel Nissans in use when hunting in Zim. All that said, all 3 brands are pretty damn good. 'Used to drive 60K-100K+ mi/yr but more like 10-20K now that my office is at home. Is that now justification to own a Ford? :p Of all the above, where my driving career began as a 4-5 y/o was with a '65 John Deere 110C, where i learned to drive, switch out and maintain machinery, the value of hard work and cash payments!!! I could write a small book on its accomplishments, but it still resides in my garage today (it's not pretty, but it runs!) Tractors: Massey Ferguson ('58 still runs perfectly,), '60s-70s Fords (they're fine as they run <2,000 rpm), and just about any vintage John Deere. As they are on-strike now, I'm a tad bit concerned about obtaining parts in the short-term...The '81 Nissan (Datsun) is in front of the '66 Buick GS (480 c.i./550 Hp/3 MPG)-educational, fun for <11 seconds, costly and impractical. Polaris ATVs/UTVs are also exceptionally reliable! All the above are/were maintained properly-'Treat them right and they'll never let you down!!!

View attachment 436146View attachment 436147View attachment 436148View attachment 436149View attachment 436151View attachment 436152View attachment 436155View attachment 436156View attachment 436160View attachment 436161
My dad grew up running 5000 Fords. Yours looks very sharp. I would like a platform 5000 someday because the steering is much better.

I had a 1974 Impala Sport (2 door) hard top and per the VIN and my motor manual it held a coveted 350 CID 4 bolt main under the hood. Power wise it ran like a stripe arshed ape and drank gas like drunken sailor. My friends dubbed it the Chi-Town Bomber. If ever there was a Christine in my life, this was her. never once stuck in snow or mud, but one or both of us thought she was a off road 4x4. She was a hefty 4,444 pounds with an old steel Coleman cooler holding with a case of beer on ice in the trunk. At least that was the readout on the scale at the old gain elevator. Wish I had pictures of her along with all of the gas I burned running my trap line in high school and driving 80 miles a day round trip while I was in college. One time she hit 115 mph in under a mile and bottom end puckered when I felt the whole car lift. I knew I was running on air with little tread contact on the ground. In short order she buried the needle on the 120 peg and we were off into the unknow speed zone. We only did that on the one occasion. Speed kills and I'm glad my cards ended up all aces that night.
Yep, the Chi-Town Bomber was my favorite.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noah8899

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg