What is the best car you have ever owned?

@Pondoro
The range Rover is just an over priced land Rover.
Give me a NISSAN any day.
Bob
I had that same opinion. A 1988 Defender is my daily penance on the pheasant shoot I manage. Just clocked up 183,000 miles on the beast yesterday. It does however sport a 200di engine in it that I fitted last year.
However… a few years ago a friend of mine approached me at the end of the pheasant season and asked if I would like to drI’ve his Range RoverErr, why ? Another 2 penalty points and I’m on shoe leather was the quick reply.
So I drove him for a couple/few () months a few days a week. I have to say a Range Rover is one damned comfortable car to drive long distances. That car now has over 540,000 kms on It. The gearbox was replaced and the air suspension replaced with coilers. Great motor. Mine, well it has its ups and downs.
You can guess we’ve had a bit of rain lately.

6F20983C-83FE-4924-AC97-EADA944AD21A.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I had that same opinion. A 1988 Defender is my daily penance on the pheasant shoot I manage. Just clocked up 183,000 miles on the beast yesterday. It does however sport a 200di engine in it that I fitted last year.
However… a few years ago a friend of mine approached me at the end of the pheasant season and asked if I would like to drI’ve his Range RoverErr, why ? Another 2 penalty points and I’m on shoe leather was the quick reply.
So I drove him for a couple/few () months a few days a week. I have to say a Range Rover is one damned comfortable car to drive long distances. That car now has over 540,000 kms on It. The gearbox was replaced and the air suspension replaced with coilers. Great motor. Mine, well it has its ups and downs.
You can guess we’ve had a bit of rain lately.

View attachment 496550
@Sika98k
Just leave the landy there and get a nice Nissan. End of problems
Bob

I changed up to a Range Rover L405, 4,4 V8 diesel in May...340hp and 740Nm...life is good..

@Sika98k
Just leave the landy there and get a nice Nissan. End of problems
Bob
Or a horse. The horse'll also sh*t itself on a regular basis, but at least it's a cheaper fix!

As for Range Rovers. The reason they have air suspension is so they can let you down gently...

I could go on...

I changed up to a Range Rover L405, 4,4 V8 diesel in May...340hp and 740Nm...life is good..
@Pondoro
Or a nice Nissan Patrol with a Cummins diesel for the same Nm at a fraction of the cost. As much comfort and power.
The Range Rover is the 243 of the 4x4 world. Plenty of advertising but can't live up to the hype. I don't trust a vehicle that hasn't got a dipstik for the oil.
Bob

@Pondoro
Or a nice Nissan Patrol with a Cummins diesel for the same Nm at a fraction of the cost. As much comfort and power.
The Range Rover is the 243 of the 4x4 world. Plenty of advertising but can't live up to the hype. I don't trust a vehicle that hasn't got a dipstik for the oil.
Bob

Bob, I would prefer a dipstick myself...old habits die hard, but the electronic/electric measurer actually work. Rolls Royce has had the feature for many decades...it works there too..

And BTW these newer diesels do not use oil...both the 3.0 V6 and V8 diesels are made by Ford. The auto box is a german ZF8, Rolls Royce use the same box, good for 1000Nm..

Without a doubt my 2007 S2000! I owned it for 12 years and it never saw my Honda service dept. for anything other than yearly free state inspection visits and one "look see" on a recall issue that did not require attention. Admittedly though,she was a world class garage queen.

Bob, I would prefer a dipstick myself...old habits die hard, but the electronic/electric measurer actually work. Rolls Royce has had the feature for many decades...it works there too..

And BTW these newer diesels do not use oil...both the 3.0 V6 and V8 diesels are made by Ford. The auto box is a german ZF8, Rolls Royce use the same box, good for 1000Nm..
@Pondoro
If they don't use oil what do they use. Even full synthetic us regarded as oil.
Saying Ford make a v6 and v8 is no recommendation in my book.
The 3.2lt 5 cylinder is passable but when you do an oil change if you don't get the new oil in fairly quickly you in the shit. Pull the motor apart just to reprime the oil pump.
The only Zf boxes I have had dealings with are in M A.N trucks are they weren't anything to write home about.
Sorry I like simple, dip sticks to check oil and a second stick to select 4x4. None of this dial in mud, snow,sand or highway crap for me.
Geez I'm just getting used to self engaging hubs when you select 4x4. Before that it was hop out and lock the hubs. Simple works for me as I can usually fix it in the bush and don't need a 1,000km tow to get it fixed.
Bob

It depence what you use the car for....I use mine 95% on tar roads but battle harsh winter conditions to get to my mountain cabin at 1000 m. above sea level..and the occational hunt on timber roads to get there..

Else, the keyword is comfort...I can drive 1000km in mine without being fatigued..

Last edited:
1960 Volvo PV 544. Dual 1 barrel carbs. If it got a little out of sorts, you could stop and give the distributor a little turn and she would spruce right up. Got me through college and my first 2 years on active duty.

Mine has to be my 98 Towncar bought it with 80,000 on it and sold it to my next door neighbor with 250,000, he's still driving it,It
fullsizeoutput_45d.jpeg
sat 5 comfortably had a trunk that could sleep 6 and got 26mpg on the highway

Favorite weekend vehicle is a 1970 Lemans Sport with a Pontiac 400 in it. It’s closely followed by my 1973 Nova (1st Car) or 1987 Jeep.

Favorite daily driver my 01 F250 7.3L which I hated selling, followed by my current 03 F250 6.0.

mmmmmmmmm..........A 1965 chrysler Valiant V8 273 was very good also a great hunting/field ute was a 1965 Valiant Wayfarer Utility with slant six 225 with LSD very reliable go any where car currently have a 2010 Chrysler 300C 5.7 Hemi, best car ever no complaints! eyeing off a Ram Laramie 5.7 at the moment....

mmmmmmmmm..........A 1965 chrysler Valiant V8 273 was very good also a great hunting/field ute was a 1965 Valiant Wayfarer Utility with slant six 225 with LSD very reliable go any where car currently have a 2010 Chrysler 300C 5.7 Hemi, best car ever no complaints! eyeing off a Ram Laramie 5.7 at the moment....
@Boxlock
The old slant six is bullet proof and hots up into a very fast car.
They built the slant to fit under the bonnet. The upright for some reason was to tall hence the slant.
Love the old valiants. A mate had a 2 door with a 440 pursuit motor.
I regret writing of my 318 fireball charger. Wish I still had that with the prices they bring now.
Bob

Worst - 2002 Porsche 996; owned for 4 months - spent 36 of those days at the Porsche dealer for Mass Air Flow sensor repairs (that the insurance company then battled with Porsche on every single change). On the drive home the dashboard lit up like a video game again - I drove it back to the dealer the following day and told them I refused to drive back home in that car.

Best - had my 2017 C7 for less than a week now, but am in love.. hoping it doesn't develop rear suspension and creaky targa top problems that I had in my 2012 C6

Emotional - my 1973 240Z... had her for nearly a decade, fully restored, will be buried in that car.

@Kevin Peacocke : Indeed a wonderful car. Since the year 2000 I own the predecessor of your Jimny,
and it has never let me down, neither when hunting or driving cross country. And it is still going strong!

Datsun/Nissan. 'Have owned 9 of their trucks and never any issues if you perform the necessary routine maintenance (1 was a gas Titan plow truck for the dealership prior. 'Bought it with 27,500 hard miles and it cost me about $5K in repairs at 150K mi and was a bit rusty underneath.) All exceeded 400K mi prior to unloading and one went 600K (I put a replacement engine in it at 300K, 2 clutches and a rear differential.) 'Took a break between Titans (had 3) and got a Toyota Tundra w/ the small V8 (got good mileage, was a little underpowered as expected, handled well, but the brakes were an antiquated design/noisy and it was uncomfortable on long drives. Thus, when that died at <300K mi I rolled into the Nissan dealership in Gulfport, MS and got a great deal on the diesel twin turbo (two fans in one housing) V8 (gets 25 MPG on the road.) Only 75K mi now but it's comfy, handles well, not much lag as compared to straight engined diesels (and you have to learn to push all the buttons when you are or are about to get stuck-diff lock, traction control off-allows engine to rev up fully and of course 4wd. 'once got it stuck to the rocker panels in mud and had to pull it out w/ a tractor prior to learning all of the aforementioned gadgetry. lol Now I know and no issues since in mud, snow, and deep water.) Dad gave up on American metal during the 70s gas crunch and began to buy Datsuns-i was sold (bulletproof) as I put them through the paces at the farm, on- and off-road! I highly recommend that anyone purchasing a new vehicle today pay to get an aftermarket undercoating job done (the factory jobs are poor to say the least and they don't want it to last forever.) Especially those that live in colder climates where they treat the roads with various ice melters.

IMG_20190317_141343076~2.jpg
53679.jpeg
IMG_20190213_173121176.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
And for the modern rendition of my beloved series 1 Landys I have discovered the Suzuki Jimny, my Jo'burg wheels. This little car is seriously impressive, it is slow, noisy and feels fifty years old off the showroom floor - perfect! It wears a nice wheel cover too.
View attachment 493547
I want one of those, but they don't sell them in the US! Saw droves of them in Iceland.

the cars that marked me

The first (one the father car in Upper-Volta) on which I learned to drive : a series 1
Land Série.JPG

The second I had for fourteen years : A defender 110 300TDI
Défender 110.JPG

The end of his life , I put her on the roof :
Défender 110  Fin 2.JPG

The last one , a Nissan Patrol Y61 full equiped :
Patrol.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stitchcart

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg