What is my safari really going to cost?

Make sure you budget enough. The cost of my first trip was almost double what was estimated.

I forgot to include the cost of the next safari we planned on the flight home.

I did an Eastern Cape five plains game hunt including shoulder mounts on all five for around 13-14K late 2019. Shipping home may be a moving target now with this Covid thing putting pressure on shipping flights. Any excuse to raise rates I guess. Air fare, that's up to you on your level of comfort and how may connections are required. I would think that your 25K is on the high side, but any money that you save can go towards your next trip. Its probably going to happen. In my opinion don't forget personal injury or evacuation insurance in your estimate. You may be a long ways from hospital facility. Best of luck
That’s a really good point. I buy the yearly membership each year so I forgot it in my estimate. Global rescue is another $160 for an individual for 1 trip.

Petey J, You didn't mention if you are going alone or taking an observer i.e. wife, girlfriend, Kid(s). Taxidermy costs are the fly in the ointment. Talk to the taxidermist you plan to use and get a firm quote for the work you intend to have done. Be sure to include delivery to your door. Euro mounts are considerably cheaper than Shoulder Mounts. Air fare costs can vary considerably i.e. Economy, Economy Comfort, Business nd or First Class. Talk to Lori at Travel Express, she'll give you a list of options and prices.

more and more hunters are not doing shoulder mounts and full mounts but instead just doing skull mounts. Saves up a lot of money to be spent elsewhere. Thee display is then the skull mount with a picture next to it of the hunter with the trophy animal. Looks great. takes up less space also.

If I am careful I can do a bush hunt for buffalo for less than you are budgeting for a PG hunt. However my taxidermy is limited to a euro mount and leather on buffalo and my flights are very inexpensive (result of 2+ million miles flown on delta).

Air fare varies on time of year-I went in July so “prime time” and round trip for one person was about $2k from Salt Lake City to port elizabeth BUT I paid extra for exit row seating and it was worth every penny!
Get a full price list of your ph’s available game. If a trophy sable or whatever happens along your path, you need to know if you want it and can afford to shoot it. I was not prepared mentally for the profusion of available game I would see and be able to hunt/kill/eat/bring home. I suspect you will fill your list and have lots of time to hunt others or go tour a park or something-extra money is easy to use up!
My dozen skins and skulls with horns was $1k to get dipped and crated and delivered to the states and $600 or something to get from California to my doorstep in utah.
i paid for everything to get tanned and now I just have one mounted here and there as the money comes available. Taxidermists costs vary widely, sit down with your chosen artist and have him show you a price list. Use the time now to find your favorite African taxidermist-whitetail is not the same as impala.
photographs are easy and almost free, get a good camera and take a million pix!

Make sure you budget enough. The cost of my first trip was almost double what was estimated.

I forgot to include the cost of the next safari we planned on the flight home.

I haven't even been there once, and already have the 2nd trip in mind.

Thanks for all the feedback.

To answer some of the questions, here is where I am getting my numbers:
Direct cost to Safari Outfitter (5 animals, daily rates for 10 days, arrival/departure days, airport transfer): $12,200
Airfare (roundtrip business class, Qatar Airways): $3530
Dip/Pack/Ship Trophies (estimated): $1,500
Euro Mounts for 5 primary Animals (based on price list from a studio): $1744
Gratuities (PH, Trackers, Skinners, and Camp Staff): $2750.
Total: $21,724.00

So to have a cushion for extra animals, incidentals, etc. I figured $25,000.

My wife really wants to come along and do all the photography, videography, etc. However, with a young child now and plans to have more before I would go, it is not likely she'll want to be away from the kid(s) for 14 days. However, in the budget, if she went, to add observer daily rates, departure/arrival, airport transfer, and airfare, I would add about $7,629 to the cost, and increase the budget to probably $35,000.

I have talked to reference for the particular outfitter I am looking at. They are highly recommend, but I know they are not the cheapest. One reference planned a 10 day-5 animal hunt and his quote was very close to what I have budgeted (he had a couple different animals in his plan).

Always unexpected costs incurred on spur of them moment i.e. lots of presents to bring back, unexpected "tips" requested by SAPS and airline staff. Shipping costs are a bit high at this moment. if you get European mounts and skins only est $1000 shipping charges to USA plus import broker fee of $600. Shipping charges from port of entry to you could add more $. Bottom line is total cost is a moving target and usually 10% to 20% higher than you expected. One can never put a price on lifetime experiences and when you're sitting in your rocking chair at the retirement home you won't regret the cost of your trip.

Hi @Petey J
I still think, it is a bit overpriced. Have you compared this offer to - lets say - offers on "Deals and offers" section on this forum?

$12,200 for five animals, what are you planing on shooting? I paid a lot less for 7 animals and where I stayed was high end.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback.

To answer some of the questions, here is where I am getting my numbers:
Direct cost to Safari Outfitter (5 animals, daily rates for 10 days, arrival/departure days, airport transfer): $12,200
Airfare (roundtrip business class, Qatar Airways): $3530
Dip/Pack/Ship Trophies (estimated): $1,500
Euro Mounts for 5 primary Animals (based on price list from a studio): $1744
Gratuities (PH, Trackers, Skinners, and Camp Staff): $2750.
Total: $21,724.00

So to have a cushion for extra animals, incidentals, etc. I figured $25,000.

My wife really wants to come along and do all the photography, videography, etc. However, with a young child now and plans to have more before I would go, it is not likely she'll want to be away from the kid(s) for 14 days. However, in the budget, if she went, to add observer daily rates, departure/arrival, airport transfer, and airfare, I would add about $7,629 to the cost, and increase the budget to probably $35,000.

I have talked to reference for the particular outfitter I am looking at. They are highly recommend, but I know they are not the cheapest. One reference planned a 10 day-5 animal hunt and his quote was very close to what I have budgeted (he had a couple different animals in his plan).
Obviously up to you what outfitter you choose, but this is a very expensive hunt for the eastern cape for 5 animals and 10 days. What stands out about this outfitter compared to others? Is this outfitter based in the eastern cape? If he’s not, you’re paying a premium because it’s away from his base. If you haven’t already, I’d encourage you to look at price lists of outfitters that are based in the eastern cape and you can see the difference such as Kingsview safaris, John x safaris, KMG safaris, LJ safaris, Game 4 Africa, many others. You could potentially hunt several more animals or be able to go sooner than you planned with the cost savings.

I can guarantee you though regardless who you choose, you will have a very happy PH and staff with the amount you plan to tip!

Our two forum colleagues, have been mor explicit then I was.

Basically, the budget as defined, covers two average south african safaris, 5 animals each, of most common huntable species, to put it in plain english.

I'd like to see the animals on your list, they must be the higher end ones.

That and paying a day rate can get very expensive.

There are some very fine hunts out there with more animals and the same amount of days where the operators run package specials. But then if you are going al A Carte then I can understand the expense.

@JimP

The animal list is in opening post of this thread.

That seems like an awful lot of money for those 5 animals. I hunted 8 plains game animals on a 10-day hunt (it was actually 14 days because 14 is what my dad booked, but the outfitter gave me the extra 4 days for free) in Limpopo (Zebra, Gemsbok, Kudu, Impala, Blue Wildebeest, Blesbok, Black Wildebeest, Warthog) for less than $6000 to the outfitter. I think I wound up paying more for dip/pack and shipping than you have estimated by the time I paid the dip/pack place, the international shipper, the domestic shipper, and the broker. Maybe the outfitter you've selected has an area or offers an experience that is worth the price, but on the surface it feels like you're paying $12000 for a $5000-6000 package.

Totally agree with the other comments. You are paying over market value for your hunt. I would shop around.

Not sure the level of experience you're going for, but that package with the outfitter I used twice before in Limpopo would be about $7k for the hunt & animals, (plus airline, tips, side excursions, etc.) Echoing what's been said, but it does seem high even figuring in the business class seats and taxidermy plans.

Check out the offers available on AH and or send several outfitter / sponsors a PM detailing the number of days you are looking for and the number and type / species of animals you are looking for. I think you are in for a big surprise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hopefarm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!