What is brass worth

Jamie D Van Roekel

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I have been going through all my brass and am going to try to get rid of some of the calibers that I don’t have anymore and some that I just have a bunch of. 75-80% of it is once fired another 10% would be twice the rest would be good as I threw away anything I thought was not ok. It is all brands with a big chunk Fed. Followed by Hornady and Rem.

What do you guys think a fair price for 260, 7mm-08, up to 300WBY would be. Most calibers there is 100-200 pieces I have the brand counted out. But would want to sell by caliber. 95% have been trough the shaker with walnut media. Not looking to get top money just get it to someone who can use it and still be worth my time. I will post it on the classifieds here when I figure out how to sell it. Thanks

I think it would be brand specific. Premium brass brands I think would be worth ~$1/ea. Higher for calibers like the Weatherby ones most likely. I would find prices for new brass in the brands and calibers you have and go from there.

What do you guys think a fair price for 260, 7mm-08, up to 300WBY
You won't get rich selling once fired brass...

Ammoseek dot com lists for new 260 Rem brass the lowest price $65 per hundred or 65 cents each. That's for new brass. What is once fired worth? Maybe half of that, maybe if someone needs it.

300 Weatherby is listed at lowest price of $1.65 each. If someone can't find that they may pay $1 each for your once fired brass.

If you are offering once fired 470 or 500 Nitro brass that is hard to find, then you can command a much higher percent of the unavailable new brass price.

Premium brass brands I think would be worth
Norma is great brass! I have some A-Square brass that I place a higher value on because is it A-Square. I don't know who made it for them. I also like Winchester brass but Remington/R-P and Federal are good.

Here is the real problem. If I don't know you, how can I be sure it is only fired once? No offense intended but caveat emptor. Sale value maybe goes down to 20-30% of new brass. If I need it and your brass is the only thing I've seen in six months, that a I might pay a higher price. Otherwise, well I will let someone who needs it more than me buy it.

Sometimes old brass is just that... I just sold a rifle to a AH member. With it I included some new and fired brass, dies, and a few dummy cartridges. Prior to shipping we talked about guns, life, and hunting Africa for the better part of an hour. He told me of having problems finding 375 H&H brass for his 2023 Africa hunt. The gun I sold him with brass wasn't a 375. Seeming like a great guy whom I'd share a PH with, I looked over my stock of 375 brass and send him a couple of quart ziplock bags of once, maybe twice fired brass as a surprise. He was very grateful! Sometimes brass is just brass...

Oh, one more thing...
I expect once fired brass to be in the their factory ammunition box. That would be pretty good evidence that the brass is actually only once fired.

I'm with Mark.

Unless I know the person, I don't trust brass as being "once-fired" unless it is in the factory box.

I don't buy it unless it is in a "hard-to-find cartridge". I also prefer it to be nickle-plated.

50% of new brass at the most.

I would be interested in some once fired 7mm-08 brass when you get it all sorted out. I would trade some if i have something you may need also.
thanks

I have bought quite a lot of once fired brass. I have never been lied to about the "once fired" condition. I use the price of new brass as a guideline rather than loaded ammo. I think paying 60-70% of the local retail price of new, unprimed brass is fair - if it is all one head stamp, is clean, and not dented. In our Canadian market Norma, RWS, Sako and Lapua bring higher prices, especially if for rimmed or unusual Euro cartridges. Hornady, Rem and Winchester and PPU are "average" priced and Federal is often lower priced. Federal brass is actually good, but a little soft and sometimes thicker. So many handloaders don't like it, but I do. I find it OK if I don't overload it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeanneA58

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.