WHAT IS A TROPHY?

X2...I feel the same way Stretch. Your comment was brilliantly stated-well done.

Stretch

I see you stole this forum topic from another hunting forum...
Interesting.

As some posters here have posted over there also...

The word trophy typically refers to large record book skull or horns then mounted and displayed as a keepsake of a successful hunting expedition. A hunt based on the size of trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be. An animal is most certainly the object of hunting, but it becomes an anti-climax when compared to the pleasure derived from every facet of the hunt. To me, the meaning of trophy entails other things besides horn size. I enjoy the entire process, the planning and preparation, the excitement of adventure, the sustained suspense and challenge of matching wits against the instincts of the animal I am pursuing. The companionship of spending time with partners as well as the making new friends is special. In my opinion to many hunters rate the success of a hunting trip by the size of the trophy they shoot. When I hunt I try to go after a older mature animal. It's great if this animal has trophy horns, but no matter how big the animal I refuse to measure the inches. After a hunting trip a common question I am asked is "what did it score?" as if to measure my success compared to someone else. If the score is lower does that mean is was less of a challenge or less rewarding? I hunt because it is the most direct, most visceral connection I can find to this awesome planet we inhabit. Nothing in my life outside of the time I spend in the outdoors is as effective at renewing my spirit. Hunting is my therapy. This is my trophy.

What is a trophy to you?

Stretch

I see you stole this forum topic from another hunting forum...
Interesting.

As some posters here have posted over there also...

Sorry James.... I did not steal this from another hunting forum. This is this only forum I am part of.

In fact Jeome will be happy to hear I am a forum virgin as AH is my first. I am still learning my way.

What prompted me to start the thread was the incessant question each time I told a hunting tale or showed someone
a photo of my lastest trophy. How much does it score? I alway thought is was wrong to judge a hunt or the trophy
by its measurements. It seems to me that many hunters are way to concerned by the score and do not realize the real benefit
to ones soul from the adventure of the chase. Curiosity was the catalyst.

A dream come true, the succession of a series of fortunate events, a rare occurrence, a typical occurrence, a nostalgic moment, a tear on the cheek, an instant, a whisper in your sonï½´s ear, a thought that never leaves you, a poem with no words, a big thank you to mother nature, a big thank you to God, the sweet smell of success, an accomplishment, a heroic action, a memento, a reminder, ecstasies, a goal and an end.

A dream come true, the succession of a series of fortunate events, a rare occurrence, a typical occurrence, a nostalgic moment, a tear on the cheek, an instant, a whisper in your sonï½´s ear, a thought that never leaves you, a poem with no words, a big thank you to mother nature, a big thank you to God, the sweet smell of success, an accomplishment, a heroic action, a memento, a reminder, ecstasies, a goal and an end.

Whoa! Your concepts are very philosophical.

It is my opinion that in the hunting world the word "trophy" in essence means only good things, but unfortunately the term is also related to competition, who's is better, bigger, prettier, etc.
Hence the terms "Better" trophy "Unique Trophy" "Medal Trophy" "RW trophy" "Book Trophy" "Real trophy? there is no better trophy or "more trophy" it either is a Trophy or not period, and the only judge of that should be the hunter an no one else.
I think that in the Hunting Lingo Trophy means only good things and should not be related to a "competition among us" term.
Why do you think PH's in Africa put so much effort in the experience lived by the hunter?

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febixix695

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois