What have you eaten?

My list:

1. Live Octopus (Vietnam and I have video to prove it)
2. Crickets (Vietnam)
3. Monitor Lizard (Central Java Indonesia)
4. Porcupine (Vietnam)
5. Probably dog, but didn't know it (Vietnam)
6. Monitor Lizard (Central Java Indonesia)
7. Goat (Vietnam & Indonesia)
8. Squirrel (USA) Great with salt and pepper, cooked over sassafras wood.
9. Zebra (Africa)
10. Fertilized Egg (Vietnam) Disgusting!

Soon to eat, but haven't yet:

1. Bat (Indonesia)

I will try anything twice! You never know the first time could have been cooked or processed shitty.
I have experienced some magical stuff and some true horrors.
WORST - Fermented Tofu and Durian Fruit
Most surprisingly good - Nutria Rat and Ant Eggs
Favorites - Almost all dried meat - Cured Beef Tongue

My list:

1. Live Octopus (Vietnam and I have video to prove it)
2. Crickets (Vietnam)
3. Monitor Lizard (Central Java Indonesia)
4. Porcupine (Vietnam)
5. Probably dog, but didn't know it (Vietnam)
6. Monitor Lizard (Central Java Indonesia)
7. Goat (Vietnam & Indonesia)
8. Squirrel (USA) Great with salt and pepper, cooked over sassafras wood.
9. Zebra (Africa)
10. Fertilized Egg (Vietnam) Disgusting!

Soon to eat, but haven't yet:

1. Bat (Indonesia)
Nice list Had all that but the Monitor Lizard. Eaten an Iguana though not to bad. I defiantly agree with the eggs mine was one of the duck eggs. I ate it but got sick later that night.

In the US and Canada I've eaten most of the usual critters. Blacktail and mule deer, pronghorns (which I liked a lot, but some people say they aren't fit for dog food), elk, moose, and caribou (which I didn't care for), fat blueberry fed black bear (which didn't really taste as good as I had hoped), wild hogs, and mountain lion (which was delicious).
In Zimbabwe I have eaten eland and buffalo a lot, nyala heart and other parts, impala, reedbuck, and crocodile, probably other things too, but they aren't coming to mind.
As I'm sure everyone here knows, how the animal is taken care of from the time of the shot and how it is prepared makes all the difference in flavor and texture. Something I didn't expect to like was buffalo liver, but the camp cook turned it into one of the best things I've ever eaten!
In Belize I have also eaten gibnut or paca quite often. It's a large spotted rodent (delicious!), and termites. I have also eaten termites and mayflys at home as an experiment, but I can't say say that insects will ever be high on my list of food stuffs.

In Africa? Cape Buffalo balls and tongue…Wildebeest carpaccio. Wonderful!

Kangaroo, turtle, eel, boar, Black and Blue Wildebeest, Impala, Kudu, alligator, Cape Buffalo, frogs, Natto, wana (Hawaiian spiny urchin) horse, whale, octopus, spiny lobster, crab, just a few. As a kid we had an upcoming birthday (one of the many cousins) so there was a hog to butcher. My older cousins challenged us young ones to blow up like a balloon, the pigs bladder. I volunteered and got up the nerve to blow unfortunately I inhaled as I placed my mouth to the bladder and sucked in a whole bunch of stink air and almost passed out. When I finally stopped coughing and could see again my cousins were all on the ground laughing their asses off. I did get a little bit of cred from the older cousins though.

What about marinades, recipes, or methods to eliminate gaminess? A friend fed me a pork chop--I thought it was domestic hog, but it was wild without tasting wild. The only thing he did was hang it in a locker for 3 weeks, letting any fluids drain into a pan. Amazing that that was all. Comments? Other secret preps?
Soak all my waterfowl in salty water for 24 hours before cooking or freezing. Lots of people complain about waterfowl but never met anyone who didnt like the one's we have cooked, this probably helps. Canada goose gets cut up or ground because it's tough, coot and merganser get soaked a little longer and seasoned heavier lol

Having been born and raised in South Louisiana (as in south of I-10), I can honestly say that I have eaten almost everything. :rolleyes: And with enough cayenne, it was all excellent.
Also being from sw Louisiana and South of I 10 I've eaten some strange stuff. Peacock gumbo, catfish head gravy, chaudan (hog stomach stuffed with rice dressing), debris stew(liver, heart, spleen, kidney, and portions of the small intestines of a cow. Very good if cooked right. If not it will gag a maggot.), fried scorpion, mule feet, and jellyfish soup in China. Live octopus in Japan. Mopane worm in zimbabwe.

Most of the typical game animals here in NA, smoked bobcat is not bad, but the one that surprised me the most was crow. That night had duck, goose, swan, dove and crow poppers and while wrapping anything in bacon, stuffed with cream cheese and a jalapeño makes things better, there was a difference in flavour

The best ive had in Africa was recently on safari in Tanzania. The Lesser Kudu and Gerenuk were absolutely the best.

Most of the typical game animals here in NA, smoked bobcat is not bad, but the one that surprised me the most was crow. That night had duck, goose, swan, dove and crow poppers and while wrapping anything in bacon, stuffed with cream cheese and a jalapeño makes things better, there was a difference in flavour
Got a book on Africa by a man named Lake. He mentioned the standbys for starving travelers--frogs, mice, and yes, crow. Said he had made "many a fine meal of crow."

Giant Bear paw just came up on YouTube.
They started by washing the whole fur covered Bear Paw and boiling it.
They then pulled the hair out and the pad covering off exposing a fatty pad.
They went through a number of steps and boiled it with various stuff before making a sauce and serving it whole.
Presumably it was a delicacy as they went to a lot of trouble and expense in the preparation and cooking
Not for me but fascinating how far people go to eat the stuff we would throw out.

Had a camel pie last week - was very good.

camel pie 1.jpg

camel pie 2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arecruitment880

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!