What have you been doing since you can’t go on Safari?

JES Adventures

AH elite
Reaction score
Website
ranchinvestments.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Asia/M.East
Member of
Life Member of SCI, DSC, GSCO, HSC, NRA and FNAWS
Hunted
Botswana, Cameroon, CAR, Chad, Ethiopia, Mozambique, Namibia, RSA, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe. US, Canada, Arctic, Mexico, Argentina, Austria, France, Spain, Portugal, U.K., Romania, Tadjikistan, Turkey, Nepal, China, Australia and New Zealand
So, it’s been a strange year to say the least. I have worked all my life to be able to pursue my dreams and now I am told I can’t. We had a safari for my son canceled so I have been looking for an outlet to satisfy my love for the African Continent. I have somewhat satisfied my desire with buying wildlife art, the latest by Zimbabwean artist Craig Bone. . What are you doing to satisfy your desires?
3929A342-3096-4189-84A4-2B45517ED9A4.jpeg

Daydreaming of what could have been on my 2 cancelled hunts this year. Also busy rescheduling for next year and planning an additional hunt to boot. Finally trying to not buy rifles for sale on this site :LOL:

Just doing a bit of reloading, re-reading a few classic African hunting books and thinking about reorganising my trophy room for the 5 still being worked on by the taxidermist, but mainly commiserating with friends and others about this bloody situation. If I feel really energetic, I plunge into doing a few of those jobs around the house I've been putting off for ages, which keeps my Lady happy.....

....oh, btw, I've also been keeping my stalking and shooting skills up to the mark by chasing the cat around the house with a nerf gun. Lately I've been thinking about maybe taking this to the next level by making a blind and putting up a few baits to try and bag the neighbour's cat!!

:W Sniper:

Last edited:
Hmmm...I’m still dreaming of my granddaughter‘s and my first Africa hunt together. Should have flown out Wednesday the 22nd. Woke up Thursday to an inch of water in my man cave! The main waterline buried below the basement broke! I managed to get the city to shut off our main from the street.
Called a plumber, mitigation company, and insurance company. Only got our water back yesterday. Man a guy at my age shouldn’t be hauling water up and down stairs and from the neighbor’s spigot! At least I didn’t have to work out!
Sadly all the money I was going to spend on our hunt has now washed down the money pit.
Just another of life’s inconvenient times. It too shall pass and only be a faint memory.

Watching a lot of African hunting videos on youtube and the Outdoor channel.
Practicing at the rifle range with my new 416 Rigby to get ready for my July 2021 hunt in Limpopo, SA.
If I don't flinch, the Rigby shoots real straight. Tight groups at 100 yards. If I flinch it's off the paper.
And enjoying the mounts from my 2018 and 2019 hunts.
Also shooting clays and getting ready for the start of dove hunting season in Texas on Sept. 1.

Hmmm...I’m still dreaming of my granddaughter‘s and my first Africa hunt together. Should have flown out Wednesday the 22nd. Woke up Thursday to an inch of water in my man cave! The main waterline buried below the basement broke! I managed to get the city to shut off our main from the street.
Called a plumber, mitigation company, and insurance company. Only got our water back yesterday. Man a guy at my age shouldn’t be hauling water up and down stairs and from the neighbor’s spigot! At least I didn’t have to work out!
Sadly all the money I was going to spend on our hunt has now washed down the money pit.
Just another of life’s inconvenient times. It too shall pass and only be a faint memory.
I hear ya. Not the same circumstances but similar down-a-rat-hole unexpected money pit loss. So trying to lay low, save up enough money to pay 2nd half of deposit and for rest of trip tentatively set for next year but originally planned for this year, watching a society implode, reading, reloading and shooting a lot.

Walking a couple miles twice a day, or rather, the dog walks me. Cutting my woodpile and splitting some the old fashion way with a maul, sledge and wedges. Lots of odd jobs around the house and my Masonic Lodge. Catching up on my reading. Practicing for my safari next April, no hope for a hunt this year. Handloading and shooting to keep my hand in.

I grew a big garden this year. Also did some fishing on the creek at the back of my house. Shoot some of my rifles at my range and doing some reloading. I had a muskox and caribou mounted in Denmark and their waiting for the shipping fees to return to somewhat of a normal range before they send them. That's fine with me. Also had a ground tour planned in Alaska that was cancelled do to the virus. Love to get back to Africa got enough miles building on my United credit card where we my be able to go business class. I wonder if will be able to go anywhere overseas before there is a vaccine.

Hobby Beekeeping with my kids.
Clearing land and setting up a round pen so the horses can go to the family lake place.

I feel more tied to the office than normal because of the uncertainty.

My fall hunts are still planned, Idaho elk hunting is a mere 40 Days away, so I better get to practicing.
0917DFB2-2BF5-44C3-BFFB-966977B0AC4B.jpeg

So, it’s been a strange year to say the least. I have worked all my life to be able to pursue my dreams and now I am told I can’t. We had a safari for my son canceled so I have been looking for an outlet to satisfy my love for the African Continent. I have somewhat satisfied my desire with buying wildlife art, the latest by Zimbabwean artist Craig Bone. . What are you doing to satisfy your desires?View attachment 360456
Wow, Craig Bone is good. Do you own any of Larry Norton's w
Watching a lot of African hunting videos on youtube and the Outdoor channel.
Practicing at the rifle range with my new 416 Rigby to get ready for my July 2021 hunt in Limpopo, SA.
If I don't flinch, the Rigby shoots real straight. Tight groups at 100 yards. If I flinch it's off the paper.
And enjoying the mounts from my 2018 and 2019 hunts.
Also shooting clays and getting ready for the start of dove hunting season in Texas on Sept. 1.
A Rigby Big Game? Wow! Please send pictures

our home in Harare was styled on a safari lodge in a patch of bush, so I roam around with my unloaded double fantasizing. Until midday when its G&T time!
1B8D6C21-32AA-41D6-960C-646F63E4C59C.jpeg
745A897D-52DA-4833-8623-4CF9F49ABFC6.jpeg
BAED20E5-2F7D-44B8-8B30-D13F8C97F50A.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Finished a book I had been writing and sent it off to some publishers. Fingers crossed but a long shot.
keep us posted on the book

I practice shooting ... it's something that I started a couple of years ago ... I like it ... I want to get to shoot with an open eye at 200 meters ... the target is not small, it measures 35 cm x 35 cm.
So far I am at 120 meters. It is not easy for me to hit the center of the target. A good hobby, and in the hunting field, without a good hunt at close range, you can see the practice.

I've been busy working and planning my retirement for later this year. Also getting ready for a Montana elk hunt in late October, with a son-in-law. Working up a load for his 300 WM and doing a little shooting with my 338 WM. Recently bought a sporterized 6.5 Swedish Mauser, which might become my hog gun. I have a few trail cameras set and I am developing a plan to build a large trap and see what happens. If things don't improve much in 2021, a Texas Aoudad or Nilgai hunt will likely be in the cards.

I'm doing the usual, hunting groundhogs all summer, trips to the range two or three times a week, now getting ready for early archery deer season. In between, rebarreled and restocked a Remington XP-100 and built a LR BR rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmieFletch

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg