What does "take what Africa gives you" mean to you?

Like others have said, be prepared for the unexpected you may not get much of a chance to make the decision on whether to pull the trigger or not. A good indication that you should be shooting is if your PH is standing on his head to get you to shot. I was trying to fill my spiral slam with a bush buck when a huge warthog walked out of the bush. PH said shoot'm now, didn't take much time to decide.... On my second trip I hunted the eastern Cape and we were doing some spotting from camp during the heat of the day when we spot a couple nice Kudu up in the rocks a 1/2 mile off the PH told me to go get my rifle because we needed to make a stalk on them as they were really good. I said I don't think so as I already have a good kudu. He said you don't understand this is an exceptional Eastern Cape Kudu and we need to go and shoot it. We argued for a bit but I caved and got the rifle. My wife was with me and she said you already have a Kudu, so I had to explain to her if I don't do this I think the PH will kick me out of camp. Needless to say we shot that Kudu and they tell me it is SCI Gold. Just be open to the unexpected as it will happen.
Go and enjoy the experience. Look forward to your report on your return and what your definition of "take what Africa gives".

My last three trips (Caprivi and Mozambique twice) have been built around a single animal - buffalo - and anything else that came along that I and my PH decided we felt like taking. Those Safaris produced some incredible memories, photos, and trophies. Moreover, I have found them the most liberating hunting experiences of my life. Over breakfast deciding to head into the forest for red duiker or down along the river for waterbuck; are perhaps load out the cruiser and spend a night or two away from main camp to concentrate on an Nyala or Sable. That sort of spontaneity is almost totally absent in all modern hunting today. I am going to see if that sort of "non-schedule" is possible in South Africa next week where buffalo is again the main quarry and the remainder of my "list" says "whatever the PH and I decide to take" (obviously permits can drive that selection to a certain extent).

I fully realize, I have been blessed to be able to book such open-ended hunts in remote places - but I didn't have to go to Tanzania for 21 days either. I would urge you to be similarly unbound by lists, or restrict it to one primary goal and let the remaining chips fall as they may.

My last three trips (Caprivi and Mozambique twice) have been built around a single animal - buffalo - and anything else that came along that I and my PH decided we felt like taking.

This is exactly my plan for the BVC next year. Buffalo and.....

I started out and I wanted a Kudu. Period. Other stuff, I'd wait.
I had passed on a couple and everything else and then while out on walk and stalk I noticed a color and shape through the trees. I knew it was an Eland bull. The PH knew this animal was not on my list and we were effectively watching the bull for entertainment value as far as he was concerned. When I looked at the PH and asked a simple question, "Is it Gold Medal?" I had not studied Eland at all at that point and required his professional opinion. You could tell from the PH's reaction that he was very surprised at the question. He quickly looked at the bull and said "Yes". That was it.
First African animal was an Eland bull. I could not be happier to this day.
It was an amazing hunt. I walked away form that hunt without a Kudu.

On my next hunt, shortly after this one I still wanted a Kudu. Period.
We started out searching for Kudu. Multiple stalks, no shot. Third day, I have passed on everything else and while we are out on a walk about we run into an Impala ram. I have passed my PH course at this point and the PH and I have been having fun judging trophies and guessing scores and we are in agreement on everything. The PH looks at me and says "It's a good one!"
My reply; "I am not scaring the Kudu!". His tone changes and he insists, "It's a good one!!!" We repeat the earlier cycle two more times. All of this in hissed whispers. I have looked at him and he is a dandy, but I am after a Kudu. At this point I relent. In my mind, I don't think the PH is willing to carry on without this Impala Ram in the Bakkie. I took the shot and I had a Rowland Ward Impala ram. I am happy with the trophy.

Both instances were presentations of opportunities that I was not immediately focused on. I had been hunting Kudu without success for ten days and it certainly led to my resistance to taking what was offered in the case of the Impala.
I did get my Kudu on the 11th day of hunting.

Enjoy your hunt. You have received some great advice.

This is exactly my plan for the BVC next year. Buffalo and.....

The safari equivalent to "a kid in a candy store!" Lot's to be tempted by in the BVC.

I saw this large kudu the day before and didn,t shoot it as I had already shot several on earlier trips and wanted my good friend get a crack at it and the next day we ran into it and he shot it. I know he was happier than I was, but not by much. he had a hard 2.5 day hunt for a eland and was realy bummed out about not getting a shot and this kudu eased his pain.

DSCN2098 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
These are all great answers and I can't argue too hard with any of them. For me it's slightly different. I have a "list" of animals, but one of the funnest things we did was just to start out in a place with no clear target in mind, just to see what turned up. Specifically it was in an avocado orchard and we were there for my wife to get a shot at a baboon. I'm in the back of the truck with her using my rifle to spot as I don't have a huge interest in one. We go along and eventually it's clear that the baboons took the day off. No worries, still a nice drive so we decide to just meander around, see the place and enjoy being in Africa. It's getting dark and we are about to head in (no trophy but that's fine, it's Africa not Wal-Mart) and suddenly my PH shines his light on a running figure saying "take it, take it!" well my wife was done and I was still there so I leveled, checked and fired. Don't know that I'd ever even heard of a Civet before but man was I excited to get one just before he disappeared into the tree line! That sort of illustrates it to me. Go with a list, go with an idea but be ready to throw that out the window if something else pops up. Didn't even see another Civet the rest of our time there and if I hadn't trusted my PH and taken the chance I might never have landed one.

Ok so has anyone be out hunting warthog when an elephant with 100lbs of ivory walked by?:whistle:

Ok so has anyone be out hunting warthog when an elephant with 100lbs of ivory walked by?:whistle:
Wish the hell that had happened in Zim.

70 lbs and no license!

Caprivi. 60+ to a side and no license. 30 yards.

I'm going specifically to hunt Buffalo, I'll be hunting on a 10 day license with a limited selection of animals so my plan is to shoot what the license allows as long as it's a mature animal. When I was planning a plains game hunt, I decided just to shoot whatever presented itself until I ran out of budget.

Thanks all for the responses gives us something to think about.

I know we've pounded this pretty well...

On my first (so far only, but #2 has a deposit) safari I knew I wanted a Zebra and a Kudu.

I ended up shooting 3 Zebra and 2 Kudu. It's a long story (or two), but I am so glad I did not let $1,800 dollars (6% of the total cost of the trip) get in the way of 3 extra really fun and memorable hunts.

Only $1,800 for 2 Zebra and a (50") Kudu? Yup. Package deal on the Zebra (3 for $2,400 vs 1 for $1,200) and a chance at an elderly Kudu that was not
expected to make it through the winter, for half price.

What I am saying is, be creative, ask for deals/opportunities and then when something good comes up, grab it! Below are two of the "extra memories" that would have been lost if I had not taken what Africa offered.
Tim Arbeiter_ Zebra (8).JPG
Tim Arbeiter_Kudu#2 (5).JPG

I have been there 2 times. I took extra money.......just incase. The 1st trip I shot a great Waterbuck 1st off. It was on my maybe list but when the PH get that excited you just follow his lead. I had an Impala on the list and took it. I was thinking of a 2nd for a hide. Then the PH says shoot quick and you know you should....it went SCI Gold #48 and forget the skin I had a shoulder mount. Later he had my daughter shoot one at no charge so I would have a skin to bring home. The rest of my extra money went to pay for the 4 other animals my daughter wanted after getting there. She paid me back at home.

Fast forward to 2017. I had a hit list. Never got 2 that were on it. I decided to pass on one and the other animal that I saw lots of the 1st trip we did not see any in 20+ days of hunting. Go figure! However I did get animals that were on my maybe list and one that was not even on the list due to cost. I did get a wide(32" tip to tip) Kudu to go with my narrow deep curl one from the 1st trip. I also did a complete spiral slam and the Nylah(sp) was not on my list until the PH said if I did not take it he would. I also got a white and black springbuck but did pass on a copper due to the fact that I overspent to the tune of $3500 which I had to pay at the next sportsman show. The outfitter /PH/owner father and son operation are really good people.

I also passed on a giraffe because I cannot display it at home. They would have given me a good price also but I said no.

I suggest you plan to take other animals not on your list if you like them or the PH gets excited.

3 types of African animals 1) we can do better 2) that is a good animal and 3) Shoot NOW!
I've wondered if one needed to bring a letter from Lloyds of London or a suitcase full of borrowed cash to cover just in case. Being allowed to pay after returning home is a true kindness.

It means if my ph says it’s big then I am shooting. Try to stay flexible. Main few animals and a list of others and take what comes that is good.
Atleast that is my plan on first Safari July 2022

I think that there is a difference between first time hunter, and someone who goes on safari no 5 or 10.
First time hunter is focused on must have game, and in most cases hunting on budget.
On a personal note, I am loosing now "must have" focus, after two safaris already done.

So, on first safaris, when there is a must have list, with budget limits, the option "take what Africa gives you" is a bit limited, for one or two additional and optional medium priced plains game species.

But, after I have collected my most of "must have" list, my next safari will be for two species + whatever Africa gives + sightseeing to Etosha. If I dont shoot anything more then planned 2 species, then fine.
Sitting over waterhole, just watching various animals taking their turn on the drink, is fantastic experience as well.
I could easily see myself in the future (god willing, income permitting, health allowing) to go with some pre- established budget to African safari, and enjoy the time, just on opportunity, without specific plan to be established with advise of outfitter.

I think it is good to plan for a specific animal and go for it, it adds spice and dimension: you research it, look forward to it and then search for a good specimen.

It has been my good fortune to hunt more in Africa that I could possibly dream of 10 years ago...and I have been blessed with elephant hunting, sometimes in rather hairy conditions...

I have to admit that ele hunting is the pinnacle of hunting for me..

Yes...Africa has been very kind to me..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeilaLemie

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg