What does "take what Africa gives you" mean to you?

MizzouAg

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
RMEF, QDMA, NWTF
Hunted
USA(AL, CO, KS, MS, MO, NE, SD, TX, WY) Soutb Africa (Free State, Limpopo)
@LegalEagle and I are just a few days from wheels up for our first Safari.

Ive been contemplating this statement..."take what Africa gives you." What does that mean for the decision making process when deciding to squeeze or not squeeze the trigger.

Do you decide which ones are must haves or paid for animals (i.e. Animals in package) and role with the rest, or completely role with it all?

We'll have some extra $ in our pockets to burn on 1 or 3 extra critters and ability to substitute based on price list.

If the PH or tracker get excited, squeeze the trigger.

You will have to decide that for yourself! On my first safari my #1 animal and must have was a zebra with the bow. I had warthog, oryx and blue Wildebeest as secondary wants. I also had the flexibility of substituting critters. I hunted with bow and gun and Africa “gave me” a nyala and impala with a 20ish yard bow shot. I didn’t hesitate. Enjoy yourself, with some extra $$ and the ability to substitute you are set. What are your must haves?

Sir you may have in mind particular game species that you wish to take during your safari. You will no doubt see many fine specimens of animals you might not have considered. You may wish to have a list of possible animals in you mind and if the Bush presents a fine example of that animal....consider very strongly taking the shot.
Another way of using the phrase is to simply hunt you list and take the best possible example of any species that you encounter.

I usually have two or three on my list. Example: my hunt this May with PawPrint Safaris I got the sable & crocodile package and also wanted a Black Wildebeest because they have some very nice ones. I always carry extra cash just in case.
Along came a 35 “ Eland and my 375 just went off. Then after three trips to Africa I haven’t seen a decent warthog...the 375 spoke again on a fine warthog! Finally an animal, caracal, on my “I want one” list showed up and the 375 went off once again. These are what I call “take what Africa gives you”. I’m elated over my hunt!
Just my experience with my list.

If you are hunting blesbuck for example, seeing a bunch of mediocre ones, or none at all. And suddenly a massive red hartebeest steps out and the PH and tracker goes nuts that that is the most massive one they have ever seen...

That is when you get on the sticks, aim carefully, squeeze the trigger.

Of course this is not the time to wonder about prices. So before you head out, perhaps on the drive from the airport... Ask to see the compete price list.. for me on my first trip, red lechwe and one or two other expensive critters were off limits. Everything else was a potential target;)

@lwaters has a fantastic kudu. As I understand it, Africa gave him that;)

Since many of us do not hunt Africa annually, I would suggest you take the desired animals you can fit into your budget. If not you may regret your decision for a long time. As far as trophies go the memories will far surpass the measurement. I have found over time I will remember the story behind each hunt, but I generally forget the actually length of the horns. I wish you a great hunt and hope this may be of help.

Since many of us do not hunt Africa annually, I would suggest you take the desired animals you can fit into your budget. If not you may regret your decision for a long time. As far as trophies go the memories will far surpass the measurement. I have found over time I will remember the story behind each hunt, but I generally forget the actually length of the horns. I wish you a great hunt and hope this may be of help.

Excellent points! Even though I mention horn lengths it is only to show the quality of animals I have been lucky enough to chase. The hunt, PH interface, Camp/lodge, just being in Africa in the bush is what matters most to me. Example: I plan to return next year for an animal which I cannot bring back...fine with me! I am thinking the experience alone (maybe with pictures) will far exceed my expectations of just what hunting in Africa means to me.

That’s a great question.... my 2 cents.... it’s not a buffet or some ala Carte menu.... you are going to see a lot of stuff.... young/old... big/small.... on list/off list.... good weather/bad weather.... make the most of it. Treat it like you won’t be back! Hold’on brother!!!!

What it meant to me after I got there. We were hunting animals that i had said interested me. We had seen good Impala and Kudu but nothing great. The PH spots a Red Hartabeest that I had not showed interest in before. He was old mature and worn horns. I just knew I had to have him and we got it. Also had not planned on Blesbok, but when PH got excited about a 16 plus inch Bushveld Blesbok well he was is the salt also. Take what Africa offers I was told and did just that.

We went from an intense stalk on a kudu bull to being busted by a kudu cow. We were walking back to the truck when a huge warthog walked out. I passed the gun to my son as the sticks went up. The shot was made. The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat.(y)

I have been there 2 times. I took extra money.......just incase. The 1st trip I shot a great Waterbuck 1st off. It was on my maybe list but when the PH get that excited you just follow his lead. I had an Impala on the list and took it. I was thinking of a 2nd for a hide. Then the PH says shoot quick and you know you should....it went SCI Gold #48 and forget the skin I had a shoulder mount. Later he had my daughter shoot one at no charge so I would have a skin to bring home. The rest of my extra money went to pay for the 4 other animals my daughter wanted after getting there. She paid me back at home.

Fast forward to 2017. I had a hit list. Never got 2 that were on it. I decided to pass on one and the other animal that I saw lots of the 1st trip we did not see any in 20+ days of hunting. Go figure! However I did get animals that were on my maybe list and one that was not even on the list due to cost. I did get a wide(32" tip to tip) Kudu to go with my narrow deep curl one from the 1st trip. I also did a complete spiral slam and the Nylah(sp) was not on my list until the PH said if I did not take it he would. I also got a white and black springbuck but did pass on a copper due to the fact that I overspent to the tune of $3500 which I had to pay at the next sportsman show. The outfitter /PH/owner father and son operation are really good people.

I also passed on a giraffe because I cannot display it at home. They would have given me a good price also but I said no.

I suggest you plan to take other animals not on your list if you like them or the PH gets excited.

3 types of African animals 1) we can do better 2) that is a good animal and 3) Shoot NOW!

I think there is 2 sides to take what Africa gives you. My 1st Safari was PG and I had a list and a budget. Learned pretty quickly the list would kind of switch and I would go over budget. Awesome trip!
2nd. Trip Zimbabwe paid up front for Buff and Spots. Got zero and ROYALLY SCREWED. Funny thing is I wanted to shoot a Baboon and had multiple opportunities but was told I would scare the non existent Buffs.
3. Limpopo awesome hunt. Got a 40 in. BUFF and Huge Nyala. Saw a ton of other quality game and am going back for Baboon!! Probably a couple of others like Sable, Waterbuck and numerous others.

What does "take what Africa gives you" mean to you?

It's sort of like that old Bachman Turner Overdrive song, "You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet"

I met a devil woman
She took my heart away
She said, I've had it comin' to me
But I wanted it that way
I think that any love is good lovin'
So I took what I could get, mmh
Oooh, oooh she looked at me with big brown eyes
And said,
You ain't seen nothin' yet
B-b-b-baby, you just ain't seen n-n-nothin' yet
Here's something that you never gonna forget
B-b-b-baby, you just ain't seen n-n-nothin' yet

Just roll with the punches...I like to concentrate on my list first because its what I really want and have looked forward too. That being said if the budget allows I always have one or two in the back of my mind IF we see a
monster. Main thing is just go and enjoy the wildlife and fauna and people and...….Well heck your in Africa!

To me it simply means “be flexible”.

How many times do we hear about the really nice XYZ that was passed on, because it wasn’t on “the list”?

And the hunter has to continually rationalize the decision. :(

There is a significant time and money investment just to get there. Once there, make it pay!!

Stay open minded, Outfitters and PH's tend to be flexible by mature, trading out animals of similar cost in a package is a common occurrence for them.

Take what it gives you? First time, I went out at night for caracal, killed an aardwolf, porcupine and a half dozen springhares. Hunted many nights over the next two years and killed gennet cat, African wildcat, springbok and a load of springhares before finally getting that caracal but in the meantime, "I took what Africa gave me". (y) :D

That’s a great question.... my 2 cents.... it’s not a buffet or some ala Carte menu.... you are going to see a lot of stuff.... young/old... big/small.... on list/off list.... good weather/bad weather.... make the most of it. Treat it like you won’t be back! Hold’on brother!!!!

There's a lot of great replies to the OP, none of which I'd disagree with. But I think Brad's is my favorite. This isn't a shopping trip, you're going hunting. Yes you will see lots of animals, but you're PH if he's worth having as your PH should be telling you "no" much more than he's telling you "yes" to ensure you get a solid trophy.

As such, you may have a nemesis on your list and the PH never says yes. For me it's warthog and steenbuck. I've seen hundreds of both, never shot either. On my last trip over, first day in another person in camp shot a very nice steenbuck about 10 mins into the hunt. Me, I'm just looking them over. And that's fine as far as I'm concerned, I don't want to shoot a young animal just to cross him off my list.

But if you do have a nemesis animal on your list, you're likely to have some gift trophy if you will present itself to you, but one not on your list. You may just want to take him and just simply appreciate that you're hunting in Africa. Something most hunters will never do.

I'm not saying you shouldn't have a list or goal animals, just don't let it dominate the hunt to the point that you ruin your own experience while not taking advantage of the opportunities that can make the experience a great one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinagqe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber