Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
I now have all of the components to load for my 404 Jeffery or so I thought. I use an old Lyman hand crank trimmer. Like most if nor all such devices you need to use a caliber specific "pilot" to center the brass against the cutting head. I looked on Midway but did not see a pilot for the 404 Jeffery.

I've thought of chucking up a 44mag pilot (currently at .429") in a drill motor or Dremmel tool and running it over crocus cloth pinched between my thumb and forefinger. Either that or stapling crocus cloth to a tongue depressor and forcing it against the pilot as it is being turned. I've also considered using a Swiss File to remove the "bulk" of the material followed up with crocus cloth to polish the surface.

How do you other 404 Jeffery owners trim your brass?

Ridgewalker

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/00070ct1422/case-trimmer-pilot-point422

I don’t have a 404 Jeffrey, but in the past I have done as you suggested, ie chucking an oversized pilot into a hand drill and used a file to rough it, then crocus cloth to final finish.

Screenshot (253).png

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
I just ordered it, thanks. I hope it fits my Lyman trimmer. If not I'll revert to original plan.

Ridgewalker

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
Hope it fits too. I can’t find the shank dia anywhere.

Are you bringing your 404 Jeffrey to the group hunt? If so, would you bring 1 spare round and let me shoot it? I shot Johan’s 458 Lott and it wasn’t as bad as I was expecting, but still more than I can handle comfortably. My 375 H&H with a brake is like shooting a 308.

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Yes I am bringing the 404, right now I thinking about bringing 30 to 40 rounds depending on how much it weighs. I will be using my 308 Norma Mag for most of the game I'm planning to take. For now the only thing the 404 will be used on is Eland. At the moment buffalo is not on the menu but that could change.

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
Yes I am bringing the 404, right now I thinking about bringing 30 to 40 rounds depending on how much it weighs. I will be using my 308 Norma Mag for most of the game I'm planning to take. For now the only thing the 404 will be used on is Eland. At the moment buffalo is not on the menu but that could change.

Now Art you know I'm going need to shoot that 404

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Charlie, I'm sure the 404 will be on the range in KC long before it goes to Africa. But one way or another you'll get an opportunity to shoot it. Compared to your new 470 I expect it will be a pussy cat.

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
I talked to a buddy of mine last night about my problem, he has a Forster Trimmer. He told me that the shank on the Pilot I purchased would not fit in my Lyman Trimmer. After hearing that I went back to original plan. I was able to load a 44 Mag Pilot into the chuck of my Dremmel Tool. Using a fine file, some crocus cloth and some 320 grit wet / dry paper, I took my time making passes with all three and measuring. It took about 10 passes but now the pilot works just fine.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
I made my pilot from a 44 cal one as well. Simple process and you can make the dia suitable for sized brass to suit your own process. Once I get a quantity of brass I will often alter the FLS die, get a neck sizing collet for my Wilson straight line dies, or a custom stem made for a Lee collet die so that I can do the minimum working on the brass and still get the particular neck tension I want for that particular rifle. This has meant trimmer pilots are sometimes made to suit by either turning down a larger one or making one to from bar steel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlorrieVar

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Tally-Ho Hunting Safaris wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J