Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
I now have all of the components to load for my 404 Jeffery or so I thought. I use an old Lyman hand crank trimmer. Like most if nor all such devices you need to use a caliber specific "pilot" to center the brass against the cutting head. I looked on Midway but did not see a pilot for the 404 Jeffery.

I've thought of chucking up a 44mag pilot (currently at .429") in a drill motor or Dremmel tool and running it over crocus cloth pinched between my thumb and forefinger. Either that or stapling crocus cloth to a tongue depressor and forcing it against the pilot as it is being turned. I've also considered using a Swiss File to remove the "bulk" of the material followed up with crocus cloth to polish the surface.

How do you other 404 Jeffery owners trim your brass?

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/00070ct1422/case-trimmer-pilot-point422

I don’t have a 404 Jeffrey, but in the past I have done as you suggested, ie chucking an oversized pilot into a hand drill and used a file to rough it, then crocus cloth to final finish.

Screenshot (253).png

I just ordered it, thanks. I hope it fits my Lyman trimmer. If not I'll revert to original plan.

Hope it fits too. I can’t find the shank dia anywhere.

Are you bringing your 404 Jeffrey to the group hunt? If so, would you bring 1 spare round and let me shoot it? I shot Johan’s 458 Lott and it wasn’t as bad as I was expecting, but still more than I can handle comfortably. My 375 H&H with a brake is like shooting a 308.

Yes I am bringing the 404, right now I thinking about bringing 30 to 40 rounds depending on how much it weighs. I will be using my 308 Norma Mag for most of the game I'm planning to take. For now the only thing the 404 will be used on is Eland. At the moment buffalo is not on the menu but that could change.

Yes I am bringing the 404, right now I thinking about bringing 30 to 40 rounds depending on how much it weighs. I will be using my 308 Norma Mag for most of the game I'm planning to take. For now the only thing the 404 will be used on is Eland. At the moment buffalo is not on the menu but that could change.

Now Art you know I'm going need to shoot that 404

Charlie, I'm sure the 404 will be on the range in KC long before it goes to Africa. But one way or another you'll get an opportunity to shoot it. Compared to your new 470 I expect it will be a pussy cat.

I talked to a buddy of mine last night about my problem, he has a Forster Trimmer. He told me that the shank on the Pilot I purchased would not fit in my Lyman Trimmer. After hearing that I went back to original plan. I was able to load a 44 Mag Pilot into the chuck of my Dremmel Tool. Using a fine file, some crocus cloth and some 320 grit wet / dry paper, I took my time making passes with all three and measuring. It took about 10 passes but now the pilot works just fine.

I made my pilot from a 44 cal one as well. Simple process and you can make the dia suitable for sized brass to suit your own process. Once I get a quantity of brass I will often alter the FLS die, get a neck sizing collet for my Wilson straight line dies, or a custom stem made for a Lee collet die so that I can do the minimum working on the brass and still get the particular neck tension I want for that particular rifle. This has meant trimmer pilots are sometimes made to suit by either turning down a larger one or making one to from bar steel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceC

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!