What Calibre to Bring on a One-Gun Safari?

The original question was what ONE rifle, and how many posters end up outlining their two or even three. I suppose some wander is to be expected since 2011, but lets be concise about this - what ONE? I answered before and will reitterate - for me it just has to be a 375 H&H.

A very interesting read.
I am a proud owner of a Pre 64 375, which my dad bought on the advice given to him by none other than respected PH Tony Henley...
He let me have it as he doesn't hunt much these days.

Once I used two different calibers in Africa for all PG. 7 Mag and 375 HH and that seemed like an ideal combo. PH provided both so I didn’t have the hassle- nice!

Since I shoot my 375 HH and 416 Rem equally well, I would take the 416 for one gun especially if it included DG- which I’ve done. It worked very well for both PG and DG.

Long answer to simple question-
Win 70, 416 Rem :)

Also agree on the 375HH... my only change is I’m a 300gr TSX guy...

A very interesting read.
I am a proud owner of a Pre 64 375, which my dad bought on the advice given to him by none other than respected PH Tony Henley...
He let me have it as he doesn't hunt much these days.
How did your dad know Tony? I ran into Tony's son briefly a few years ago at the Muthaiga Club in Nairobi.

Tony was a fine PH.

If buffalo are the largest kritter on the safari, a 9.3x62 with 320gr set to the irons and 286gr Aframes to the QR scope where the 62 is legal, or a 375H&H with 300 gr aframes. Use solids on the tiny 10.

If Elephants are on the menu a 404 Jeff or 416 Rigby/REM/Ruger.

If the hunter has the patience to hunt with a double knowing that he/she might have to pass on something that is outside their abilities with a double. A 450/400 double with a red dot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg