What calibers would be needed for a proper dangerous game cartridge display?

If a member has an example, I still think someone should post a pic of a RB or conical plus the powder charge from something like a 4 bore muzzle loader. It would make for a more complete display of DG ammo. Here is an excerpt from Selous' book Wanderings.... describing the taking of a buffalo with the big muzzle loader and a pic of one of the author's drawings of his infamous 4 bore. Selous more than once mentioned regretting ever using the big ML for his ivory hunting, as the brutal recoil induced a flinch from which he never fully recovered

"On coming up I found I had made a very credible shot, considering my weapon (a smooth-bore elephant gun, carrying a four-ounce round bullet [1750 gr RB], backed by fifteen drams of coarse powder [410 gr of coarse black powder]), the ball, after entering the chest rather low, and passing through the whole length of the body, having made its exit by the left thigh, grazing the heart on its passage."

Selous' 4 bore.jpg

My humble colection of DG cartridges is bolt rifle specific but starts at the 9.3x62,and followed by the
DSCN1362 (2).JPG
9.3x64, 375Ruger, 375 H&H, 416 Ruger, 416 Rigby, 425 WR, 404 Jeffery, 458 Win Mag, 458 Lott, 500 Jeffery, and 505 Gibbs.

I’m quite fond of the newer H&H belted magnums. Rather than attempt to stuff as much horsepower in as compact a package as possible, they took a long view and consider such important factors as feeding and extraction.

With studying these calibers I seek them out, it is interesting what will push a specific grain bullet to its speed.

I've got a 4 bore cartridge. Should upload a pic!

Yes, absolutely! Add another well known cartridge for perspective :)

4 bore - next to my phone for a little perspective.

IMG_8568.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Your missing my two double rifles. .500 ne and .500/416

4 bore - next to my phone for a little perspective.

View attachment 208917

Holy Coke can Batman! I’ll have to look around for some bore cartridges. Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Your missing my two double rifles. .500 ne and .500/416

Added to my hit list. The .500 Nitro is a given and I’ve been on the lookout for one. But I hadn’t even thought of the .500/416 variant.

My humble colection of DG cartridges is bolt rifle specific but starts at the 9.3x62,and followed by theView attachment 208579 9.3x64, 375Ruger, 375 H&H, 416 Ruger, 416 Rigby, 425 WR, 404 Jeffery, 458 Win Mag, 458 Lott, 500 Jeffery, and 505 Gibbs.

Very nice collection. Thanks for the picture. You have three that I’m missing. I’ve added them to my “big list” And will look around for them.

Do you want me to send you a dummy round?

Thank you for the offer! Very generous of you and I would take you up on this. Some of these cartridges are hard to come by, so I jump on the opportunities that present themselves. But I’m keeping this collection to live ammunition.

I gifted myself a few more cartridges before the window to ship ammunition directly to oneself into this gun unfriendly state closes. It's unfortunate to live in such a beautiful state when your vote might as well be punched into toilet paper. Up here in the northern part of the state, we are completely unrepresented. Ammunition must now go to an FFL, and then be sold to you after the proper flaming hoops have been jumped though...

I'll post a picture of my newest acquisitions when it comes in. This latest package is bitter sweet. Happy to get some stuff for my collection. Saddened that I'll no longer open the door to boxes of ammunition on my front porch.

I've also contacted @gizmo to get elephant leather for a backdrop to the shelves I'm going to build.

Great idea for a display cabinet, and nicely put together collection so far.

I think the 500 Jeffery should be in the lineup on the DG shelf, and the plainsgame shelf is missing at least 5 cartridges;

6.5x54 MS - could also be on the DG shelf if you're a fan of Karamojo Bell. :)
7.x57 Mauser (or 275 Rigby if you like) - also possible on the DG shelf.
30-06
318 Westley-Richards
333 Jeffery

I second the 7x57, but we're definitely missing the 8x68S!

Did the 400 H&H cartridge arrive yet?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg