What are good units for public land hunting in Wyoming for Antelope?

jpoole1

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI
Hunted
South Africa
Hello,
My father and I are planning a DIY public land hunt in mid September in Wyoming for Pronghorn and would like to know what are good units to put in for, with good abundance of antelope. We both have been putting in, and have several perference points a piece for antelope and mule deer, so units with deer also is a plus. Any information or land owners that open their land to hunters would be appreciated.

Divernhunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Life member NRA and NAHC Escalon Sportsmans club, Manteca sportsman club and Coalinga Rifle Club. Member of SCI
Hunted
USA, RSA
How many points do you have?

jpoole1

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI
Hunted
South Africa
We have 3 points a piece for antelop and I believe 2 a piece for mule deer.

gillettehunter

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Australia/NZ
Hunted
Namibia, Kyrgyzstan(2) South Africa(4) New Zealand Zambia(2)
You may want to look at a unit like 67. It has large amounts of public land. Good success rate. I usually hunt 23, but it has very little public land. Now days most ranchers either charge a trespass fee or have their land leased to a outfitter. Spend some time on the Wy Game and Fish web site. You can look at each unit individually for draw rates and then research the amount of public land available. You can also see the harvest reports and get an idea of how well most people do in that unit. Good luck Bruce

creed70

Reaction score
Member of
RMEF, DSC, DU. SCI.
Hunted
all over USA
East of Riverton out in the gas hills, public land and I've shot many good goats an a few really big deer out in that area. Don't know the area# you'll have to look at your map

BWH

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Ducks Unlimited, SCI, DSC & NRA
Hunted
USA, Mexico, RSA
Consider TX.... Don't have to worry about a draw. Just have to buy a permit, usually resold via guide/outfitter. You can go for about $2000. Get a real nice one....couple day hunt or less. Lots of fun in West Texas.... Either panhandle or Trans-Pecos. The Trans is my fav.... Because of the sceneries

thi9elsp

Gold supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member: Buckmasters, NRA, RMEF, DSC, SCI, and CCA
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Mozambique
I hunted area 93 for antelope with my brothers several years back. Needed 2 points. Good size but since the odds of drawing have been harder in that area - my understanding is that the herd was lower the last few years.

So, in 2014 we hunted near Cody in area 81. Lots of antelope. Not a lot of big ones. Very convenient. We had a leisurely breakfast at Tim's house, headed out shot mine and returned to town to drop it off for processing. Ate lunch, went out and Scott shot his that afternoon. We both shot does the next day on a landowners property using our tags drawn. Our tags were not landowner - somehow Tim got the name of the landowner. There was a herd of about 70 antelope in the alfalfa field. Shot them both within 10 minutes of each other.

I'm not sure about deer timing in the Cody area. I believe there are public areas around there but not sure on timing of season. Plus, if you're in Cody, you can take a day trip through Yellowstone if that's something you haven't done before.

jpoole1

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI
Hunted
South Africa
Thanks guys I'll look into all of yalls recommendations. I appreciate the advice!

watman

AH member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
I was lucky enough to draw Area 32 this year... definitely looking for pointers! I'm going to get a Muddy Mountain area pass, but anyone who can narrow down some good areas would be appreciated as I won't get a scouting trip in prior to season.

Anyone else draw WY this year?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HockTitne

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?
uplander01 wrote on colorado's profile.
Heard you may have load data for the 500 Jeffery,.....any info would be appreciated. Was thinking 535gr, but already had a response that the 570gr would be a better way to go, not sure why.
Rickmt wrote on Leica Sport Optics's profile.
will Leica Amplus 6-2.5x15x50 fit on a pro success Blaser with low mount?