What animal do you fear most? And why?

Longleat Safari Park - set in the countryside of Wiltshire have a set of interlocking enclosures containing a variety of 'wild 'animals.

Visitors may drive their cars from one enclosure to another much like a miniature game reserve.

Notices abound warning of the dangers associated with opening car windows and getting out of cars

There were also a set of notices warning of the upcoming enclosure which housed the 'world's most dangerous animal'.

After much hype and after driving through the lion, tiger and wolves enclosures the public were finally directed to THE enclosure.

Of course it contained a set of human manikins complete with small hut and the paraphernalia of modern man.

A contrived conceit but with a serious message

All depends on the circumstances. Lions generally leave one alone but can be very scary if they feel threatened or are actively hunting (as in need clean underpants scary. Likewise leopards are normally elusive, but I know of several instances in which people have been attacked completely unprovoked. A buffalo in thick cover is definitely to be avoided. Again, completely unprovoked attacks do occur , and they are hard to stop. Elephants can be a big problem as they sometimes actively attack without warning even from a distance and there is absolutely no way you can outrun one . But for me its crocs: Crocs do not distinguish between humans and other animals - to a croc you are just lunch.

The most dangerous animal is the practitioner of Karate

Let me explain

Several years ago I was the Group Safety Advisor at the afore mentioned safari park

On one of my periodic visits I was taken aside by the Head of Section and told this story

A husband and wife were driving their car through the tiger enclosure. Despite the safety briefings and warning signs they got out of their car (that was experiencing mechanical difficulties) and started walking back to the gate to one of the manned safe zones that separate each enclosure from the next.

The alarm was raised and the couple were ushered quickly into safety.

Their ill advised walk took them right past the favourite hang out of the most grumpy of the reserve's tigresses

She was fortunately at the other end of the 10 acre enclosure that day.

The couple were 'advised' in no uncertain terms as to the foolhardiness of their actions - which went directly against the briefing they were given.

Unrepentant, the young lady proudly explained that ....

''they were in no danger - her husband knew Karate'

Last edited:
The most dangerous animal is the practitioner of Karate

Let me explain

Several years ago I was the Group Safety Advisor at the afore mentioned safari park

On one of my periodic visits I was taken aside by the Head of Section and told this story

A husband and wife were driving their car through the tiger enclosure. Despite the safety briefings and warning signs they got out of their car (that was experiencing mechanical difficulties) and started walking back to the gate to one of the manned safe zones that separate each enclosure from the next.

The alarm was raised and the couple were ushered quickly into safety.

Their ill advised walk took them right past the favourite hang out of the most grumpy of the reserve's tigresses

She was fortunately at the other end of the 10 acre enclosure that day.

The couple were 'advised' in no uncertain terms as to the foolhardiness of their actions - which went directly against the briefing they were given.

Unrepentant, the young lady proudly explained that ....

''they were in no danger - her husband knew Karate'
@bowjijohn.
That would have been as much use as knowing origami.
Bob

Grizzlies and bears in general. It's probably your best chance of getting attacked and killed by any animal, minding your own business. Even black bears can be dangerous with cubs or if provoked. After that: tigers and oceanic whitetips. I spend a lot of my time offshore. If I ever found myself in the ocean, a tiger or oceanic whitetip would put the fear of god in me. If I lived farther south, probably add bulls to the list too.

Back to bears, I'm very familiar with black bears. We had this 400 lb female with 5 cubs that would make her nightly rounds in front of my door every night in spring, summer, and early fall.
bear.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZaneDenova

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg