Ike85123

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
None
For me it is the Grizzly bear. Any animal that plays with its prey for 2 hours gets my respect. Let's just get it overwith already !
Watching the revenant or the edge dont help the fear !

If I have a weapon in my hand such as a high power rifle very few animals would actually scare me. I have slept outside in grizzly country in British Colombia with the only thing between me and the elements being a canvas tarp, but I had a rifle nearby. I hiked areas and then retraced my steps only to find that a mountain lion has followed me at some time. I have also watched as a mountain lion followed another hunter on a hillside.

Now if I see a fast worm that startles me it will get my heart a racing, but if I see a snake as long as it isn't traveling I am alright. One year tracking a javelina down in Arizona I came upon a rattle snake den. The first snake that I saw was outside of the den and headed back to it. I was so fixed on that snake that I didn't see the other two sitting right at the mouth of the den.

Now for the ones that really give me the hebejeebes it insects. A simple mosquito can kill your or make you so sick that you would wish that you were dead.

Roaches, the big one flying around. If I have a handgun, or rifle, I'm ok, but a roach, talk about all bets are off and I'll be running. LMAO!!!!! I've been trying to figure out why, and can't come up with an answer. :LOL::LOL:

Good question. For me kind of depends on circumstances.

Never been too buggered in NA. But, water moccasins suspended on limbs over a swamp comes to mind :)

Tent in griz/brown bear country creates all kinds of imaginary fears at night. Large canister of bear spray plus short barreled shot gun/adequate rifle, properly loaded, does help the psyche.

^^Most of that is self inflicted fear. Seriously, I think stumbling into a cow elephant with an attitude comes closest to real deal danger that I would prefer to avoid. And, dinking around water with large crocs who don’t need an excuse, other than hunger, to grab you and eat you.

For me it is a rattlesnake. They can kill you without you ever knowing they were there. Not to mention that's a pretty small target.
My son was bit by a rattlesnake when he was 2.5yrs old. A rainy summer day. The snake coiled up under the kitchen door. My wife opened the door, my son ran out and got tagged. A helicopter flew him to good Samaritan poison control in mesa. It was a hard 3 or 4 days, not knowing if he would make it.
As he grew up. He was in pain til about 19. The surgery left a long scare on his leg that stretched as he grew. He cant stand to be around any snakes to this day !

Good question. For me kind of depends on circumstances.

Never been too buggered in NA. But, water moccasins suspended on limbs over a swamp comes to mind :)

Tent in griz/brown bear country creates all kinds of imaginary fears at night. Large canister of bear spray plus short barreled shot gun/adequate rifle, properly loaded, does help the psyche.

^^Most of that is self inflicted fear. Seriously, I think stumbling into a cow elephant with an attitude comes closest to real deal danger that I would prefer to avoid. And, dinking around water with large crocs who don’t need an excuse, other than hunger, to grab you and eat you.
I hate me a water moccasin ! Ive had a couple chase me over thr years. Only snake ive had do that !

Roaches, the big one flying around. If I have a handgun, or rifle, I'm ok, but a roach, talk about all bets are off and I'll be running. LMAO!!!!! I've been trying to figure out why, and can't come up with an answer. :LOL::LOL:
That is funny! I swear some of the roaches in SE Asia, Philippines, Malaysia and Indonesia could be collared, put on a leash, taken for a walk and no one would raise an eye brow.

I hear ya ! I live on a lake, so have plenty bug issues. Lol

If I have a weapon in my hand such as a high power rifle very few animals would actually scare me. I have slept outside in grizzly country in British Colombia with the only thing between me and the elements being a canvas tarp, but I had a rifle nearby. I hiked areas and then retraced my steps only to find that a mountain lion has followed me at some time. I have also watched as a mountain lion followed another hunter on a hillside.

Now if I see a fast worm that startles me it will get my heart a racing, but if I see a snake as long as it isn't traveling I am alright. One year tracking a javelina down in Arizona I came upon a rattle snake den. The first snake that I saw was outside of the den and headed back to it. I was so fixed on that snake that I didn't see the other two sitting right at the mouth of the den.

Now for the ones that really give me the hebejeebes it insects. A simple mosquito can kill your or make you so sick that you would wish that you were dead.
Ive been chased by javalina too. They can get mean !

I hate me a water moccasin ! Ive had a couple chase me over thr years. Only snake ive had do that !
Water Moccasins are very territorial and not uncommon to chase you. LOL!!!! Not afraid of any snake, venomous or not.
That is funny! I swear some of the roaches in SE Asia, Philippines, Malaysia and Indonesia could be collared, put on a leash, taken for a walk and no one would raise an eye brow.

I know it, the one that gets the hair on my back to stand are the Palmetto Bugs. You need a 470NE to kill them or a Vulcan Cannon to take them down if they are flying. I swear I have an extra sense, and know when they are around. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Luckily my wife is my hero, and she is not afraid of them and usually comes to my rescue. LMAO!!!!!

Ticks - Hated with a fiery passion. Sneaky, unnoticed, transmit horrible things and are just generally detestable. Other than that I’m fine........what was that itch?!?!?

Only two creatures truly scare me at this point in my life, although I've never stood face to face with any of the "big 5", so I'm sure I could be persuaded to alter the list under the right circumstances. I HAVE had encounters with what we would consider North American dangerous game (a sow black bear with cubs - in the dark no less - and a mountain lion that was between me and the vehicle on a western hunt, requiring me to cross a coulee on my way out that was entirely too near where I had been watching it stalk small game only an hour earlier), but honestly I don't remember being well and truly scared of either animal. More of a cautious respect, but not outright fear.

But the two creatures that actually scare me are:
1) Humans with a determination to harm others, especially those who are 'jonesing" for a dose of their drug of choice. A human with a drug addiction and / or an intent to harm others is unquestionably the most dangerous creature on the planet in my opinion, and in the right circumstances I will admit to being well and truly "scared" for myself and those around me. Call me a coward, I don't care. I'd rather face an angry sow bear with cubs any day than walk through certain parts of the city after dark. Just the way it is.

2) Snakes. I have an irrational fear of them that I have had since childhood. I've worked on it a lot over the years, and am now at a point where I'm OK if I see the snake from a safe distance without it startling me (10 feet or so is fine).... but let any snake surprise me and I'm likely to make a fool of myself trying to get away from it, lol.

Must say I have never encountered an animal, reptile or insect that really scared me. Have been surprised. Tented in bear country, bluff charged by grizz with cub and black bears more than once. Hunted buff and ele in thick Zim Jesse, really excited me but not scared, same for follow up on leopard in dark. Still waiting for dam Covid to end to see if lion scares me. I do have ultimate respect for any specie that can and will hurt you so give them their space needed. No reptile worries me, even picked up the kitchen stove cobra in Namibia against my PH recommendations and after he had me shoot its head off. Will handle any insect, ticks have gotten me, again not scared just remove them, now swarms of any biting insect really pisses me off as they travel miles to eat me but do not scare me.

Heights do not scare me, hunted goat and sheep in some bad terrain but what does scare me stiff is stepping off a ladder on to a roof?

MB

Ive been chased by javalina too. They can get mean !

The only time that I have had a problem with a javelina was when I was around 10 years old and picked up a little one that I found. Then for then next couple of hours as I was sitting up in the tree I wondered just where mom and all of his other relatives went to once they left the area.

When I have been hunting them I have been in the middle of herds with no problems. They are like just about any other animal and just want to get away from you.

I guess I dont really fear any animal..

I have a healthy respect for most predators, omnivores, and "dangerous" game.. but as a rule, I consider nature pretty cool and incredibly intriguing.. and I've had more awesome experiences than I can count encountering bears in the wild, getting in an enclosure in south africa with a couple of mature male lions, running up on a pissed off moose in the middle of the rut, etc....

Snakes, spiders, etc dont bother me...

I dont have any love for skunks.. but.. fear isnt really the issue there :D

Only two creatures truly scare me at this point in my life, although I've never stood face to face with any of the "big 5", so I'm sure I could be persuaded to alter the list under the right circumstances. I HAVE had encounters with what we would consider North American dangerous game (a sow black bear with cubs - in the dark no less - and a mountain lion that was between me and the vehicle on a western hunt, requiring me to cross a coulee on my way out that was entirely too near where I had been watching it stalk small game only an hour earlier), but honestly I don't remember being well and truly scared of either animal. More of a cautious respect, but not outright fear.

But the two creatures that actually scare me are:
1) Humans with a determination to harm others, especially those who are 'jonesing" for a dose of their drug of choice. A human with a drug addiction and / or an intent to harm others is unquestionably the most dangerous creature on the planet in my opinion, and in the right circumstances I will admit to being well and truly "scared" for myself and those around me. Call me a coward, I don't care. I'd rather face an angry sow bear with cubs any day than walk through certain parts of the city after dark. Just the way it is.

2) Snakes. I have an irrational fear of them that I have had since childhood. I've worked on it a lot over the years, and am now at a point where I'm OK if I see the snake from a safe distance without it startling me (10 feet or so is fine).... but let any snake surprise me and I'm likely to make a fool of myself trying to get away from it, lol.
Good point on the two legged predators, early 90s in National City a whole group of those two legged predators chased us for being "there" and a different color. Thank the Lord for that taxi squealing in and rescuing us when he did. Yes I was scared. A know your surroundings and situational awareness lesson driven home hard.

MB

Lion. They are big and strong and well equipped. Think Tsavo. Once at Tiger Bay resort the kids were all in the tent next to ours. The grunting and snarling began at about 8pm and I shouted to them to do up the laces on their tent and pile up the suitcases. It sounded like it was just ourside their tent, on the far side from us. So I started a fire just outside our tent, burnt some paper, then the box that the spare prop came in, and when there was nothing else I burnt all my underpants. Just as the last flames were dying and the grunting still there I remembered the can of insect spray - makes a terrific flame thrower. Whoosh, huge balls of flame into the night and the lion took off.
Next day we learned that it was a lioness and she went into the main camp pub and took a mounted tigerfish off the wall - she must have been starving for some reason. They shot her.
Yes, I was very scared!

Snakes, transvestites, bears especially brown and polar bears, wolves, hyena, lions, komodo dragons, crocodiles, my shadow at night, banditos, scorpions, spiders and "ethical vegetarians" or the eco-warrior weirdos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryellenD

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you