What ammo case can hold 450NE bullet facing up???

ACM

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
My larger MTM cases only hold the NE rounds facing down. This becomes annoying because they do not sit straight and do a lot of moving around in travel.
Anyone know of an ammo case that holds the Nitro Express w/ bullet facing up?
IMG_6185.jpeg

I have a variety of these and other brands boxes. For those I can turn bullet up I have added a piece of soft foam snuggly fitted between the lid and bullets to help stop the rattling, aka moving around.

You could cut some soft foam to fit to inside each slot/hole to stop the rounds from moving around in your current box(es). But the rim will just pull the foam out when you pull the cartridge out because thebrim is wider than the brass.

OR

Another alternative would be going up in caliber then line with foam to keep the rounds from rattling, aka moving around.

As I first stated I own a variety of these boxes: Plano, MTM, Frankford Arsenal, and a couple of others. Other than Name brand, style, caliber and cost, they are all pretty much the same.

I've read others opinions on which way and why to place bullets down or up and after more than a couple of decades using these boxes: factory ammo has never been a problem. Reloaded ammo that's a different story. A No crimp, Non crimp, improperly crimp, bullet will come loose. However, a properly seated, crimped or non crimp reloaded bullet like a factory bullet will not come loose. Currently I have straight wall and bottle neck ammo that I reloaded 4, 5, 6, years ago in these boxes bullet down that are still solid.

If your worried about the airlines, which is why, just place a piece of soft foam between the lid and cartridges to minimize the sound of loose cartridges in your ammo box.

I'll be watching this thread for:

discussions on up or down in these boxes,

if anyone does make a reasonably price 50 and 100 count boxes.

My larger MTM cases only hold the NE rounds facing down. This becomes annoying because they do not sit straight and do a lot of moving around in travel.
Anyone know of an ammo case that holds the Nitro Express w/ bullet facing up?View attachment 596397

This is a perfect opportunity for someone with a 3D printer to make an insert for that box. If you don't know anyone with a printer hit me up. I have a guy that can get that knocked out for you pretty easily.

You will probably want them bullet down. The rim will leave a lot of slack at the top and being top heavy. They would rattle a lot. You could potentially put foam in the lid. It just will no help the empties.

This becomes annoying because they do not sit straight and do a lot of moving around in travel.
Visually it is annoying, but in all reality, when flying intercontinental flight, we dont know how they store the baggage in cargo compartment. It could be tumbled, rough handled, or made upside down.

Print or drill out blocks of wood or plastic with holes the same shape as your rifle chamber. Then a piece of foam on the lid and you could even drop that box without consequence.

Great ideas all! Thank you.
I have to admit, it is way more the fact that I like to see the cartridges standing neatly in the box. The way they sit now, the rims also get in the way of closing the lid, you have to push them in, then close.
They are all seated properly w/ a healthy crimp in the groove, so I’m not too worried about projectile movement.
The 3D printed insert and wood block ideas sound like they would work well. Shame it sounds like there is not a manufacturer that makes proper boxes for the NE cartridge.

Great ideas all! Thank you.
I have to admit, it is way more the fact that I like to see the cartridges standing neatly in the box. The way they sit now, the rims also get in the way of closing the lid, you have to push them in, then close.
They are all seated properly w/ a healthy crimp in the groove, so I’m not too worried about projectile movement.
The 3D printed insert and wood block ideas sound like they would work well. Shame it sounds like there is not a manufacturer that makes proper boxes for the NE cartridge.
Demand is low for major manufacturers.

If their is enough interest I can have them made. What model box is it?

Try a 20 gauge case. The 20 gauge trays also work for reloading.

Those boxes should not be checked in on an airline like we have to do In RSA. They are not well made enough for air travel. Sorry but it is just a matter of time before the belly of a plane gets filled with loose ammo and we are all screwed.

Those boxes should not be checked in on an airline like we have to do In RSA. They are not well made enough for air travel. Sorry but it is just a matter of time before the belly of a plane gets filled with loose ammo and we are all screwed.
I have not and would never fly with my ammo in those boxes. By travel I meant in the truck or back of the jeep.

Guess I should clarify... I use 20 ga trays for Reloading, MTM for range (imperfect as it may be) and foam in Pelican (locked) for travel.

20180730_200245.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
In my initial post above, I was think home storage and range. 20 ga case may work for that. Need good lockable case for travel.

Guess I should clarify... I use 20 ga trays for Reloading, MTM for range (imperfect as it may be) and foam in Pelican (locked) for travel.

View attachment 596509

That looks like a Pelican camera case. I have a 450 Heym that I am considering taking to South Africa this coming August and was considering a Pelican case for the ammo to be carried in for the internal flights.

A couple of questions if I may. Which model Pelican case is it that will handle the 450NE as you have displayed ? Also, did you cut the foam or just force the cartridge into the foam ?

Regards

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharisEdma

Latest profile posts

A.A. wrote on Msprenger!'s profile.
Are you still looking for a 375 H&H?
NRA Life, ASSRA Life, GGCA Life
Sable @ the lodge this morning

Buffalo encounter this morning!