What 416 Rifle Should I Take To Africa???

Discussion in '.375 & Up' started by TOBY458, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Graham Hunter

Graham Hunter AH Fanatic

Hunted:
    Alaska Canada US New Zealand Scotland South Africa Zimbabwe
    I built my 416 Rem on a 721 action and added a Sako extractor. Never had a feed issue.

TOBY458 likes this.

2. Alexandro Faria

Alexandro Faria AH Veteran

Member of:
    SA wingshooters, GOSA,
    Hunted:
    RSA, Namibia, Botswana
    You say you're taking both the .416 and the .375 and I feel this is a sound move. Never hurts to have a spare in a similar caliber, just allows for peace of mind in so many areas. Do you have your loads worked up for both/either??

3. TOBY458

TOBY458 AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Yes. I have a load worked up for the 416. Going to shoot Barnes TSX 400gr. over Varget powder. I'm shooting Federal Premium 300gr Swift A Frame factory loads in the 375.

4. Doug375

Doug375 AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    U.S., Namibia, Zambia
    Take the one you're most comfortable with. The buffalo won't know which one you used. I used a Ruger Hawkeye African in .416 Ruger on a Buffalo hunt in Zambia in 2014. The first shot was in the boiler room. The PH and I kept shooting until he was down, but the first shot was the deciding one. The others were just insurance. Of course, one hunt proves nothing, but from a ballistics standpoint, there's not much difference between the Ruger, Remington or Rigby rounds. Same 400 grain bullet at about the same velocity.

TOBY458 likes this.

5. TOBY458

TOBY458 AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    20180516_181052.jpg 20180516_180352.jpg

flat8 and Pheroze like this.

6. TOBY458

TOBY458 AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    My last group of yesterday and my first group today, after moving the scope. Winchester 70 416 Rem is dialed in with Barnes 400gr TSX. This rifle is scary accurate! Ready for buffalo in July!

7. wesheltonj

wesheltonj AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Benefactor-Life NRA, DSC, SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA
    Not sure why you are taking both a 375 and 416, both will kill Buffalo, and your using the 375 for plains game anyway.

jonezy likes this.

8. CAustin

CAustin AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
    Hunted:
    South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
    Man can’t have too many guns on a hunt!

9. TOBY458

TOBY458 AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    I have all these guns in the safe, but no buffalo in Georgia, USA! I know the 375 would do great, but I want to get some use out of my 416 as well.

ufg8r93 and flat8 like this.

10. wesheltonj

wesheltonj AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Benefactor-Life NRA, DSC, SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA
    Going to carry both guns at the same time? I know with my luck, if I was plains game hunting with the 375 and did not have the 416 at the same time, that's when I would see the worlds largest buffalo and the 416 would have made a trip half way around the world for nothing.

11. TOBY458

TOBY458 AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    True enough. If that happens, I'll just shoot something else with the 416! Maybe an Eland. I have a direct flight from Atlanta to SA, so it's really simple to take two guns in one rifle case.

flat8 likes this.

12. fourfive8

fourfive8 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana
    You are right about the Win M70 in 416 Mag having the potential to be scary accurate! Mine is like yours and surprises me every time I shoot it. I prefer to just take one gun each trip so took only my Win M70 416 Rem on my last trip to Zim for DG (buffalo) and PG. I felt perfectly comfortable shooting the 416 for everything and I didn't feel I gave up anything for plains game with that rifle. I didn't at all feel over-gunned for eland!

flat8 and TOBY458 like this.

13. Daga Boy

Daga Boy AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    .416 Rem Mag is an excellent choice for all round big game use in a bolt action rifle.
    A 375 is not really in the same league unless you convert to an H&H AI and load really heavy bullets (about 400g conventional or 300gr plus monos) , in which case you are in 416 rem country.
    Any heavy med - heavy rifle will work satisfactorily on buff (legal or not) but 416 calibers and bigger have a big advantage over smaller calibers when it comes to dropping an animal in its tracks. This is why 470's remain a top choice for most African PH's on dangerous game.
    By all means bring your 375 "just in case", but actually you cant beat a 416 Rem (or Ruger for that matter) as a client gun - unless you are planning to go after some actual "plains" game (200M plus) - in which event i would advise a lighter, flatter shooting cartridge. My personal pref for that application (i.e.large plains game) is the 338WM , which i s a much better cartridge for that application than any .375 (apart from maybe the 375 RUM and Weatherby .375 and 378 , assuming you can stand the recoil), but preferences are sometimes personal.
    And no, a .416 is definitely not overkill for an eland bull. Also not for a giraffe, kudu, whatever. Sure, you can take them with much smaller calibres, but to what end?

TOBY458 and neckdeep like this.

14. siutis

siutis AH Senior Member

Member of:
    NRA, African hunting gold supporter
    Hunted:
    United States
    416 ruger all the way

15. TOBY458

TOBY458 AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Well.....after shooting the 416 Ruger some more this past weekend, I discovered that it shoots just as accurately as the Winchester 416 RM with 400 grain bullets. I had only shot 350s in it before.
    That being said, I prefer the feel and lighter weight of the Ruger, so I've decided to take it instead. So now, it's going to be a Kimber 375 and Ruger 416 onboard flight 200....

Pheroze likes this.

16. ChrisG

ChrisG BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NAHC, NRA, Rocky Mtn. Elk Foundation.
    Hunted:
    USA, Canada
    Six - one, half dozen the other. Both will throw a 400 grain bullet fast enough to kill anything on the planet. Pick the one you like and start filling out the paperwork!

flat8 likes this.

17. TOBY458

TOBY458 AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Well....I changed my mind.....again. After shooting from sticks and offhand, I can shoot better with the Winchester 70. Longer barrel balances better for me. I also have it set up with quick release scope mounts, so switching to iron sights if a follow up is needed, will be much easier. I have the Ruger sold to a member of this forum, so he'll be getting a fine rifle! I just don't need two 416 rifles, and it will make room in the safe for a 450 or 404....;)

Ridgewalker and Pheroze like this.

18. Ridgewalker

Ridgewalker AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
    Good decision Toby 458 IMO. I think the 416 Rem will meet your Cape buffalo needs. The 375 H&H using 250 Barnes TTSX worked great my spring trip on everything I took up to Eland. The Eland stopped the bullet just under the skin on a quartering shoulder shot breaking the near side shoulder. My gun also shoots the Federal Safari 300 gr A-frame 3 in 3/4” at 100 m. But I needed lighter weight bullets for everything else, so though I took 20 A-frames I didn’t use them.
    You’re going to be set up well for your July hunt! You do your part and those loads will work like a charm!

TOBY458 likes this.

19. TOBY458

TOBY458 AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    20180724_095541.jpg
    Here is the result of the 416 Rem Mag. Using a 400 grain Swift A Frame. Frontal chest shot from around 75 yards. The bull ran about 20 yards after the shot, and gave the death below about a minute later.

20. IdaRam

IdaRam AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, NAHC Life Member, SCI, DSC, Wild Sheep Foundation, NSSF
    Hunted:
    Idaho, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, California, Alberta Canada, South Africa, Zimbabwe
    Congrats on a great bull and some good shootin’! (y):)

TOBY458 likes this.