What 416 Rifle Should I Take To Africa???

TOBY458

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
I'm heading to Africa to hunt Cape Buffalo and PG this July 2018. I'm taking a 375 and a 416. I plan to hunt Buffalo with a 416. I have a Ruger Guide Gun in 416 Ruger, and a Winchester Model 70 in 416 Rem Mag. I shoot both rifles equally well, and they both have a Leupold VX3 1.5-5×20 scope. Both rifles are dead reliable, and both are very accurate. Both hold 3 rounds in the magazine and are control round feed. Both feed and function flawlessly.
That said, what is your vote for which rifle I should take? I Can't Make Up My Mind!

If you don't reload I would go with the Remington because of better bullet selection. If you reload I would go with the ruger because I like the short carbine.

Well if leaving that muzzle brake on the Guide gun, leave it home and take the M70.

Otherwise I see it as the carbine may be quicker in the brush by a small margin. And if you were to lose your ammo along the way, the rem mag would be more readily found in Country.

So yes you have a tough decision.

So how about this scenario; a 375 will certainly suffice as a back up gun on buffalo if something happens. And a 416 can be used on PG if need be. So if the 375 you're taking is a H&H, you will be able to find ammo so no worries if you decide on the Ruger. However if your 375 is a 375 Ruger, or other less popular version of "the" African Caliber.... Then take the 416 rem mag just in case your ammo does not make it. Unlikely but very possible issue.

Perfect opportunity to buy a 416 Rigby so that the ruger nor the Remington chamberings feel slighted! Problem solved my friend!
I would probably choose the Rem mag of the two options though. Mainly due to ammo availability just in case of Mr. Murphy showing up.

Cheers,
Cody

My 375 is an H&H, so no ammo worries there. I won't be using the muzzle brake on the Ruger, so they're equal in that repect. The Ruger weighs 1lb less than the Winchester, so that is nice. The Winchester recoils a bit less, and has a better stock. Definitely not cut and dry.

Perfect opportunity to buy a 416 Rigby so that the ruger nor the Remington chamberings feel slighted! Problem solved my friend!
I would probably choose the Rem mag of the two options though. Mainly due to ammo availability just in case of Mr. Murphy showing up.

Cheers,
Cody
I have been eyeing a Sako 416 Rigby an aweful lot!

I have been eyeing a Sako 416 Rigby an aweful lot!
Bring her home and introduce her to the clan! Which Sako are you eying?

Bring her home and introduce her to the clan! Which Sako are you eying?
Sako Brown Bear. I've looked at one in the past and love the way it felt and pointed. It weighs in at 9.5lbs without scope , so it's a bit heavy, especially compared to the Ruger Guide Gun. It weighs 8lbs and 12oz with the scope installed.

Ruger Guide Gun all the way my friend. Don’t worry about the ammo the big hunting store Pieter took me to has it.

Rigby! Rigby! Rigby!:E Happy:

Ok I would take the Ruger if I had to decide between the two. and your 375 is a good light backup option, However a nice 450/400 double would be even cooler:P Devil:

416 rigby .....end of conversation ...as good luck on finding ammo for the others .......ask a PH nope don't check what they carry ...No need to ask then ....

Toby458, regarding ammo availability in South Africa go to the following web-site and check out their inventory of ammo. This place is like Cabela's on steroids when it comes to big bore rifles and ammo. The store is called Safari and Outdoors. It is located between the airport and Pieter's place. https://www.safarioutdoor.co.za/

If ammo for both guns is available in Africa then I'd flip a coin. It is getting a little late in the game to be thinking about buying and setting up a 416 Rigby which would otherwise be my choice. But like Charlie often says "dead is dead."

Sako Brown Bear. I've looked at one in the past and love the way it felt and pointed. It weighs in at 9.5lbs without scope , so it's a bit heavy, especially compared to the Ruger Guide Gun. It weighs 8lbs and 12oz with the scope installed.
Well if it is dressed in some fine grained Walnut, best get it on the way home;)

Well if it is dressed in some fine grained Walnut, best get it on the way home;)
Hey, I checked and Brown Bears have laminate stocks at $2500, Sako Safaris have high end wood, but also retail over $8000. So my vote would be to hunt down a RSM Rigby, nice wood and most likely less than $2000. Really though, no surprises here from my end!!!

I'm heading to Africa to hunt Cape Buffalo and PG this July 2018. I'm taking a 375 and a 416. I plan to hunt Buffalo with a 416. I have a Ruger Guide Gun in 416 Ruger, and a Winchester Model 70 in 416 Rem Mag. I shoot both rifles equally well, and they both have a Leupold VX3 1.5-5×20 scope. Both rifles are dead reliable, and both are very accurate. Both hold 3 rounds in the magazine and are control round feed. Both feed and function flawlessly.
That said, what is your vote for which rifle I should take? I Can't Make Up My Mind!

Flip a coin. Personally I’d take the model 70 - not quite as much muzzle blast.

I agree with Dr. Ray, flip a coin. I would take the Rem mag myself

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg