What 375 H & H rifle would you Purchase and Why

For the money a Model 70 is a best buy, have one made just before Winchester closed their old factory and moved South. Being left-handed makes finding relatively inexpensive DG rifles difficult. Sent gun to gunsmith in Pa. who went over rifle to the tune of about 700.00 dollars, coating barrel inside and out, bedding stock, new recoil pad, trigger job and mounting scope[Schmidt&Bender] and I love it. My favorite rifle hands down, use it on everything in Africa. For whatever reason shoot it better than less powerful guns I own.

I'm looking at the same situation, what rifle to buy in .375 h&h, and decided to call Mauser USA for a price on the M98 Magnum. I love everything about the K98's that I already own, so that almost seemed natural for a big gun. Then came the price, starting at 23,000 for a rifle and going up from there! But anyway, what is a "good" weight for a .375 h&h bolt rifle? It would be either solid wood or laminate stocked. And has anyone ever shot one with a thumbhole stock, I have one on my 300 win mag and love it and was just wondering if they are anygood on a DG rifle? Thanks in advance for any opinions.

I would think anything upwards of 8 pounds would be acceptable for a 375, with heavier rifles kicking less, obviously. I suppose it's down to personal preference and how much you intend to carry it around. :)

I've always heard that thumbhole stocks were a bad idea on big-caliber rifles, as many of them will recoil with more force than the human thumb was designed to take, possibly causing injury. For that reason I've never tried one, but if you're brave enough, let us know how it goes. :)

A word on Sako

I have a Sako although only in .270. but I have used plenty. I have never heard a bad word about any of them and they are a good quality tool for the job. Realistically there are many many rifles out there any of which will do what you want so go out and get one that looks and feels right for you, fits your body and budget and then get some shooting done with it.

I just shopped for a new 375 and bought the new USA made Model 70 Express, this is just a perfect rifle. It has everything I needed and wanted except a grip cap which can be remedied. Weight is somewhere around 9lbs which is perfect, action is excellent, just as good as my old Sako plus CRF. The new trigger is awesome. I carried it for 11 days on this years hunt and did not bother me at all. I scoped it with a Leo 1.5x5 on Talley QDs. Sighted in with a few shots at 25yds to test function, moved target to 100, 2 sighting shots and next three in the bullseye. I shot a very nice moose at over 350yds as I could not get any closer with 3 of 4 shots fired being fatal hits, other glanced off his face as he turned head. Yes you can spend way more on a semi custom job but when we have this fine of a factory rifle there is no reason to.

The Ruger was too barrel heavy, A Kimber was not available here, I looked hard at a Sako but do not like the new action at all, too many little complicated parts which appear crappy in design. The CZ's all had the Euro stock which I don't really mind but I am of the opinion that they do need the AHR mods.

I have used a Sako 338winny for 20yrs without a single problem, my only reason for switching is that it has a KDF brake on it which hurts my hearing quite a bit. A guide on Kodiak who carried a Sako for 20yrs recently decided to change to a CRF rifle as his misfed on a Kodiak brownie. I was in the same opinion group as to the reliability of this fine weapon as he. It only takes one screwup to ruin your day/life, why not go with he time tested CRF rifle of your choice for any game that may decide to retaliate against your presence.

ww ace

i also looked at that rifle and you should have it for years to come.

Someone has posted a deal for a Browning 375 hh.
Considering getting it for the return trip. :)
Are there any issues with this version. No I have no idea of year or model, sorry.

Personally I would not use one, I don't like the magazine or the action. A couple of years ago my buddy was cleaning his with the bolt out and fired it, took him hours to get it recocked.

My thoughts on your question.

Don't know enough about Montana rifles to comment.

You couldn't give me a new Sako. I don't like them and they are over priced.

I have a CZ in .458 Win Mag that I absolutley love, so much so that I have ordered a .375H&H and was offered a .416 Rigby the other day that is too good to refuse. Had to spend $350 on the .458, bedding, lapping bolt. but still well under $2000 for a rifle that will put three shots touching if I do my part right.

I believe that buying off the shelf rifles is as much about what fits you, as anything else. No good buying a Sako or a Montana or a CZ or Winchester or what ever, if they don't fit you well enough to allow you to shoot it well (unless you have the time and money to get a custom stock made or adjustments to the existing one.)

I don't know your situation but I would try and shoot as many different makes as you can to see what fits you before buying.

Just my opinion.

I'm buying my oldest son a 375 H&H, he's getting out of the Army in 6 months or so after 3 1/2 years in and 3 years and 3 deployments with the Rangers. He's left handed and likes my CZ 550 so that settles it. I'm ordering it out of the CZ Custom Shop since he wants the Kevlar stock, a stainless barrel, and the whole thing CeraKoted. Also he wants a mercury recoil reducer (which I wholeheartedly endorse) in the stock, it will help the balance since most CZ 375 H&Hs are very muzzle heavy (in my opinion). If Winchester made their Extreme Weather M70 in LH 375 H&H it would be a hard decision. The only question left is barrel length. I'm thinking 24" but he might want 22" and after all it's his rifle. Gonna call Jason at the CZ Custom Shop Tuesday.

Brickburn, I have 2 brownings, one A-Bolt in 338 WM and one X-Bolt in 30-06. Both worked with no problems straight out of the box. The A-Bolt is a stainless model and did find that it took about 100 round for the group size to tighten up to around 1" from 1 1/2" to 2". The X-Bolt is blued and shot 3/4" groups straight up with Core-lokts. I like the the tang safety's on them as they are fast and easy to operate. Also the 60 degree bolt handle throw allows scopes to be mounted nice and low on the action.

I'd buy a Blaser R8 and then I could shoot another caliber with just a barrel change.

Ed

I'm buying my oldest son a 375 H&H, he's getting out of the Army in 6 months or so after 3 1/2 years in and 3 years and 3 deployments with the Rangers. He's left handed and likes my CZ 550 so that settles it. I'm ordering it out of the CZ Custom Shop since he wants the Kevlar stock, a stainless barrel, and the whole thing CeraKoted. Also he wants a mercury recoil reducer (which I wholeheartedly endorse) in the stock, it will help the balance since most CZ 375 H&Hs are very muzzle heavy (in my opinion). If Winchester made their Extreme Weather M70 in LH 375 H&H it would be a hard decision. The only question left is barrel length. I'm thinking 24" but he might want 22" and after all it's his rifle. Gonna call Jason at the CZ Custom Shop Tuesday.

Well my son wanted stainless, CZ doesn't make one, so I looked at Dakota and GMA stainless lefht handed actions and almost fainted. Picked up this LH Stainless Winchester Model 70 Classic on gunbroker for the cost of an action (it wasn't cheap) ...

classic416Rem.jpg

stainlessclassic416Rem.jpg

Attachments

• classic416Rem.jpeg
    classic416Rem.jpeg
    48.4 KB · Views: 261
  • stainlessclassic416Rem.jpeg
    stainlessclassic416Rem.jpeg
    47.4 KB · Views: 324
Congrats on your Montana....One thing is for sure it is nice to see so many people passionate about their guns! I have 16 CZ's now and NONE are shooting so low that I can't gat a scope zeroed without shims...........I have my stainless Sako's because they are truly 100% stainless....not just the barrells....but the receivers and ALL their hardware....quality thru and thru........My Winchester Super Express 375 is a fine gun....too much a collectors piece to hunt it........Have 5 Weatherby Mark V's that are SWEET........If you ever get a chance to own a Beretta Mato...GRAB IT......the best of Dakota and Beretta/Lothar in one gun.......A sako trg-s is a fine gun...uses a cheaper stock but the metal is flawless and my 30-378 carries a 400 yard zero for a good reason...it's THAT accurate......Sako's have timeles value and will be around for another century....CZ's are by far the most accurate rifles for the $$$ out there....yes the new Winchester are beautifull but they are 50% more than a CZ.......FN makes a nice gun and they are doing justice to the Winchester name........might buy one someday....Saw a cz 527 in 17 rem I think I gotta have....oh well..............here we go again...happy shooting and enjoy that Montana

I'd buy a Blaser R8 and then I could shoot another caliber with just a barrel change.

Ed

Thats not a bad idea - and they balance beautifully. I have an R8 with a 9.3x62 and 30-06 barrel and both are cosistent sub moa shooters. Not cheap though!

I spent some time looking at the 3 new Winchester M70 Safaris.

They are nice rifles - except for one aspect. Winchester has used the same barrel profile for the 375, 416 and the 458. The 458 is the most balance of the 3 and the 375 handles like a truck axle. For the life of me I cannot understand why they did not profile the pre 64 when it came to the 375H&H. It would be an absolute winner.

But thats not to be - I guess its all down to the mighty dollar - it would obviously cost considerably more to produce a barrel & stock profiled for the 375 only.

What is the "best" 375 H&H

Buying any firearm is a personal choice but you have to factor in a few pertinent factors:
1. What will you be Hunting for (mainly)?
2. Where will you be hunting (mainly)? - wet, dry, cold, hot climates or all of the above.

My choice was a Kimber, Talkeetna, 375 H&H. I have used it successfully in Africa, Alaska, and Maine.
It has a Kevlar stock, 3 position safety, controlled round feeding and extraction and a trigger that is absolutely fantastic. It shoots great, wears great and continually makes me look better than I realy am.
I topped it with a Swarovski Z6 and I use this rifle for almost everything. The rifle is a bit expensive but in my opinion worth the price as it is an investment.

I agree Steve, a rifle fit to your needs will be used and trusted more in the field, than a rifle that doesn't live up to your expectations. It may cost more money...but it's worth it in the end!

I agree Steve, a rifle fit to your needs will be used and trusted more in the field, than a rifle that doesn't live up to your expectations. It may cost more money...but it's worth it in the end!

I agree, the only problem is that there is always something new on the rack at the gunships that will " just fit the need" and then,pretty soon, oh bugger I need a bigger gun safe. LOL

Gunship??

I agree, the only problem is that there is always something new on the rack at the gunships that will " just fit the need" and then,pretty soon, oh bugger I need a bigger gun safe. LOL

You hunt with a gunship? I do not call that sport.:D

Until last year I used a CZ 550 in .375 H&H. A good rifle, and certainly worth the money. It served me well on a number of hunts. Then I saw the rifles which Kilimanjaro Rifles put together, and ordered one. It was delivered in June, just in time for a hunt in South Africa in August. I had it built on a Dakota action. The gun shot dead on - with the proper rest, I could drive tacks at 100 yards, which is pretty good for a .375. I picked a great blank for the wood, and with the fleur-de-lis checkering, it looks fantastic. It shoots much better than the CZ, feels better balanced to me (being custom made, it fits me better) and everything is - and feels - tighter, which of course it should, given the difference in price. And on that score, before anyone heaps too much abuse on me for what these things cost, I admit I'm fortunate to be able to buy such a gun. But let me say this - I've looked at a bunch of English bolt action rifles at the various shows, and I can tell you that as much as mine costs, you get a lot more for your money with a made-in-Montana gun like this.

View attachment 8882

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg