What’s your ideal Dangerous Game bolt gun?

Is that you or your firearm?
Either (or both) would be perfectly acceptable in my book.
But there is something to be said for at least acting like a 12 year old every now on then...at least when you take that big DG trophy.
Me

I read the original post again so let me expand a bit here.

500 Jeff loaded with 570 gr Rhino controlled expanding as well as solid brass meplat solids @2350 fps.

Built on a ZKK 602 magnum action. 24 inch barrel.

2 crossbolts, extra recoil lug under the barrel and proper fit of the stock behind the tang.

Barrel band for the sling fitted with qd swivels.

Front sight with sight protector.

Shallow V 140 degree rear sight.

Safety-the stock standard two position safety as it came out from Brno. Forward is safe on and it locks the bolt in place, rear position is fire, thats it all you need 3 position safety are needed on a DG rifle.

Scopes have no place on a 500 rather go to a proper ghost ring if the V poses any issues.

The package should weigh about 11 lbs.

I read the original post again so let me expand a bit here.

500 Jeff loaded with 570 gr Rhino controlled expanding as well as solid brass meplat solids @2350 fps.

Built on a ZKK 602 magnum action. 24 inch barrel.

2 crossbolts, extra recoil lug under the barrel and proper fit of the stock behind the tang.

Barrel band for the sling fitted with qd swivels.

Front sight with sight protector.

Shallow V 140 degree rear sight.

Safety-the stock standard two position safety as it came out from Brno. Forward is safe on and it locks the bolt in place, rear position is fire, thats it all you need 3 position safety are needed on a DG rifle.

Scopes have no place on a 500 rather go to a proper ghost ring if the V poses any issues.

The package should weigh about 11 lbs.
I defer to your experience. Over 35 years ago I got a deal on .460 Weatherby and it had no barrel sights. I put a Leu. 2.5-8 on it and the recoil stripped out the receiver threads. Didn't measure torque back then. The gunsmith rethreaded to 8x? and it held.
Probably haven't seen good enough for open sights use since the early 70's. Got one of the adjustable rear peeps that is held in place with a suction cup to my glasses lens. Pretty aggravating set up.
I hope everyone that has had good vision most of their lives appreciate it, some us have always had to work with far less !

Last edited by a moderator:
Just curious - why would you scope a .505? If it is a vision thing - like my 65-year-old eyes - I think I would use a reflex or red dot sight of some sort on a .505. Even sighting 3-inches high at 100 meters will give you a point blank hold only to 150 or so. I have always thought of the Gibbs as very much an up close and personal caliber.

It’s strictly for Elephant. My thinking is for precise shots through holes in foliage for the brain. My eyes are starting to go a little bit and wanted to be able to make as precise a shot as possible the first time.

It’s strictly for Elephant. My thinking is for precise shots through holes in foliage for the brain. My eyes are starting to go a little bit and wanted to be able to make as precise a shot as possible the first time.
Got it. Makes sense. Get the visibility thing completely. With glasses and open sights, I can see the target. Without glasses, I can see the sights. Ghost rings are much better, but everything pretty much gets some sort of optics these days.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elisa56S81

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.