What’s your beater rifle?

Are you dying laughing or of irritation?

SBE equals Benelli Super Black Eagle and the number indicates which generation. It is a recoil operated semi automatic shotgun in 12 gauge which utilizes 2¾"-3½" shells cycling most loads of 1⅛ oz or heavier. Interesting features of the original included a notch under the bolt which was to ensure cycling if the interrupter failed and a shell went under the bolt. This led to ghost loading a fourth shell and trouble with the US Fish and Wildlife so the feature was eventually discontinued.

You're not an outsider! You're the best guy here for thinking outside of the box with lever action rifles and BLack Powder Cartridges.
Laughing!

Thanks Forrest.
Now that I know, I do not Care as I shoot only Parker SxS guns. Never owned nor wanted an auto shotgun (or 22 rifle, or centerfire rifle).
53029_600x400.jpg

My only autoloaders are pistols and they are not for hunting game.
53846_600x400.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A real junker for sure. A Savage Model 15-B 22 single shot with a pine, 2x4 stock and a barrel lopped off to 18" to remove a muzzle section with deep pitting and a bulge. The scope is a Weaver M 34 "Medalist". :) Kind of hard on the eye, but shoots surprisingly well after the barrel work.

View attachment 331303 View attachment 331304
Good Lawd that’s an ugly rifle. Did you make it in prison?

Some of us have nice rifles and some of us have utilitarian rifles. Many scoff at “safe queens” and deride those who are overly concerned by the odd scratch on their shooting tools.

I don’t mind scuffs and scrapes from honest hunting but rust is just neglect as far as I’m concerned. I like my finer rifles to look cared for and keeping blueing blue can be a challenge in the field.

My “beater” Remington Model Seven is inexpensive, compact and handy. I don’t mind hunting in the rain and find it to be pretty productive. This rifle is, however, blued and the first fleck of rust was off putting. The fact that it’s an inexpensive rifle is really beside the point; you have to take care of your stuff.

So this year I have bought a plastic stocked, stainless steel Tikka to serve as my beater. A Leupold 2.5-8 tops it off and the 22” barrel may get trimmed to 20”. No emotional attachment and reasonably impervious to the environment.

What do you all trudge through rain, snow and sleet with?
I trudge through rain,snow and sleet with: thoughts about how much proper gun cleaning I’ll need to prevent rust setting in-lol. All kidding aside, at times I’ll throw a wrap over it.

Also a pretty pretty nice gun to allow it to be abused. That does indeed look to have been treated well.

I do like that it’s so easy to break a double down to get oil under the barrels. Taking the action out of the stock on a bolt action is almost certain to cause a change in POI.
Yup,always a potential issue.

Some of us have nice rifles and some of us have utilitarian rifles. Many scoff at “safe queens” and deride those who are overly concerned by the odd scratch on their shooting tools.

I don’t mind scuffs and scrapes from honest hunting but rust is just neglect as far as I’m concerned. I like my finer rifles to look cared for and keeping blueing blue can be a challenge in the field.

My “beater” Remington Model Seven is inexpensive, compact and handy. I don’t mind hunting in the rain and find it to be pretty productive. This rifle is, however, blued and the first fleck of rust was off putting. The fact that it’s an inexpensive rifle is really beside the point; you have to take care of your stuff.

So this year I have bought a plastic stocked, stainless steel Tikka to serve as my beater. A Leupold 2.5-8 tops it off and the 22” barrel may get trimmed to 20”. No emotional attachment and reasonably impervious to the environment.

Most of my rifles are blued and wear walnut. None are safe queens. They have been hunted (some a lot and hard), but they have been cared for and it shows. Once I moved to Western Washington though, I decided a beater was going to be necessary. I bought a Rem Model 7 in 7-08. It came in stainless and a synthetic stock. With a 2-7 Leopold it seems to be pretty much impervious to the constant wet. It isn't pretty, but it worked just fine on the last buck I killed.

I have never been into the beater firearm concept. Some of my worst falls have been when I fell but protected my firearm without regard to the consequences my body will suffer. Also, I will never again hunt in Jungle, Moutain or Arctic Warfare training conditions nor operate out of a patrol base for my hunts. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: If that is what you enjoy, go for it and be happy.

I don't "throw" my rifles anywhere nor use them as a walking stick. However, if the weather goes bad during the hunt, I will take precautions and do that ancient art of maintenance of firearm and kit prior to anything else. Our Rigby's were soaked almost every day during our first week in Limpopo last year and they did just fine.

Having said all of that, if I decide I want to seriously chase waterfowl to remind myself what suffering feels like, I will get a synthetic Beretta or Benelli as it just makes good sense. I have a Tikka Boar Hunter in 30-06 that is SS/synthetic/impervious weather coating/etc. but it gets treated like any other rifle. It is my favorite "let's go shoot pigs out of the UTV" rifle.

Safe hunting

My beater rifle is my best rifles. When done for the day, I get them dry. Later that year I reapply oil and buff out any scuffs or bruises.

It’s sort of like arguing you want a fat, ugly, flatulent girl for daily attention and you have the prom Queen for the homecoming dance. Um, no thank you.

Wear a Rolex to shovel manure. Drive a Porsche to the grocery store. Shoot trap with a handmade gun. Wear comfortable hand made shoes to walk to the mailbox. Eat a filet mignon with the family once in awhile on a Tuesday night. Open French Champagne in any moment where celebratory news is received.

Not doing any of the above things suggests the object of quality was to impress somebody else rather than to bring you joy, utility, and a bit of pleasure in ones every day life.

my best guns might get dinged up, they might not, still far better than the alternative of unreliable low quality or some odd contentment lugging around anything that isn’t properly maintained.

My beater rifle is my best rifles. When done for the day, I get them dry. Later that year I reapply oil and buff out any scuffs or bruises.

It’s sort of like arguing you want a fat, ugly, flatulent girl for daily attention and you have the prom Queen for the homecoming dance. Um, no thank you.

Wear a Rolex to shovel manure. Drive a Porsche to the grocery store. Shoot trap with a handmade gun. Wear comfortable hand made shoes to walk to the mailbox. Eat a filet mignon with the family once in awhile on a Tuesday night. Open French Champagne in any moment where celebratory news is received.

Not doing any of the above things suggests the object of quality was to impress somebody else rather than to bring you joy, utility, and a bit of pleasure in ones every day life.

my best guns might get dinged up, they might not, still far better than the alternative of unreliable low quality or some odd contentment lugging around anything that isn’t properly maintained.
If you don't start with good quality gear or maintain it, don't be surprised when it fails you. On the other hand, if you drive a Porsche into a rocky canyon to go deer hunting you can't be surprised when it leaves you and your buck in the canyon.

If you don't start with good quality gear or maintain it, don't be surprised when it fails you. On the other hand, if you drive a Porsche into a rocky canyon to go deer hunting you can't be surprised when it leaves you and your buck in the canyon.

That's why you have to start with quality. Its why I loathe Rem 700s even if they are pimped out $10,000 customs. It's no different than a $26,000 mustang that has been run through Saleen's shop and is now $250,000. It's still built on a house of cards.

By quality. Service it properly. Enjoy it for yourself, not to impress anybody else. In the end, you'll have spent less then the guy that bought infinite amounts of every low-grade product in every category.

Buy once. Cry once. Take care of the item so it lasts a very long time.

Mostly I would agree, and I don't think that I would buy another Rem 700, or any other PF action, but I do have one that has never let me down. I bought one in 7mm RM in the Classic stock about 40 years ago. I have used it hard in the rough chaparral canyons of Northern California and in the rugged mountains of several Western states. The stock has been dented and scratched. I stripped the "plastic" finish, steamed out the dents and applied several coats of boiled linseed oil. I had a trigger job done to it and worked up good handloads. I have used it to take blacktails, mule deer and pronghorns from about 35 to over 400 yards and it is still very accurate. It's still my "go - to" rifle for dry, open country in the US.

@rookhawk
Better to have an old Chevy nova to drive everyday than have a rolls Royce in the garage and walk everywhere .
Bob

@Doug Hamilton
Unless it's a porsche cayenne 4x4 then you can leave the the canyon with your buck in style.
HA HA HA HA
Bob

@rookhawk
Better to have an old Chevy nova to drive everyday than have a rolls Royce in the garage and walk everywhere .
Bob

I didn't say buy the most expensive. I said buy the best you can afford.

There are thousands of exceptional rifles for under $500 that would cost $5000 to make today. Vastly superior to everything for sale at the major gun shops.

I'm the king of frugal, I'm just not cheap. Frugal was buying 50 lobsters when they were $3 a pound, having a party, feeding 30 people, then making lobster salad for 5 large meals thereafter. Cheap would be paying the same amount for Bologna and wonder bread that at that time was exactly the same price per pound.

The need for a beater rifle for “Foul Weather” is what started my father @Shootist43 love affair with the 6.5x55 Sweede. He found an add for “sporterized” military Mauser rifles in 6.5x55, the barrel was shortened to 22”, the military stock was replaced with an inexpensive black plastic stock, scope bases where install, and it mounted a cheap Simmons scope and rings, all this for the low, low price if $200. The military two stage trigger sucked, but the barrel and action had matching serial numbers from the day it was made. On its first trip to the range, we learned four things about that rifle, it shoots under 1/2” groups at 100 yards, it needed a new trigger, new scope, and a different safety. Dads Sweede now sports a Leupold scope, a Timney trigger, and a Buehler Safety and that same cheap plastic stock it came with. That was some 25 years ago and three dozen Sweedes later, but from its first hunt thru today it’s the only rifle he carries in the deer woods. Is it his beater rifle? Yep. Does it look like a modern rifle with a black plastic stock? Yep. I’ll admit she’s not pretty, but at her heart she’s pure Mauser and Dads “Every Hunting Day Rifle”.

The need for a beater rifle for “Foul Weather” is what started my father @Shootist43 love affair with the 6.5x55 Sweede. He found an add for “sporterized” military Mauser rifles in 6.5x55, the barrel was shortened to 22”, the military stock was replaced with an inexpensive black plastic stock, scope bases where install, and it mounted a cheap Simmons scope and rings, all this for the low, low price if $200. The military two stage trigger sucked, but the barrel and action had matching serial numbers from the day it was made. On its first trip to the range, we learned four things about that rifle, it shoots under 1/2” groups at 100 yards, it needed a new trigger, new scope, and a different safety. Dads Sweede now sports a Leupold scope, a Timney trigger, and a Buehler Safety and that same cheap plastic stock it came with. That was some 25 years ago and three dozen Sweedes later, but from its first hunt thru today it’s the only rifle he carries in the deer woods. Is it his beater rifle? Yep. Does it look like a modern rifle with a black plastic stock? Yep. I’ll admit she’s not pretty, but at her heart she’s pure Mauser and Dads “Every Hunting Day Rifle”.

With the rapid increase in value for original swedish mausers, collectors really scoff at sporterized ones. I've seen VERY high quality swedish sporters in the style of a griffin & howe or Sedgley and they sell for peanuts, less than a mid-grade Rem 700.

Sort of have your cake and eat it to. Hunt with a high grade gun of beauty and refinement, spend less than junk.

My favorite rifle now is my .300 weatherby Vanguard. I put over 80 hours fitting, bedding, and checkering a AA Fancy walnut stock for it, so it really hurts having it out in rainy, snowy, or wet weather. And it stays home in bad weather.

So, not a "beater" but my "foul weather" rifle is a Stainless Rem 700 chambered in 7mm Rem mag. I've had it for about 20 years, using it on elk and antelope hunts here in Montana, a couple of African hunts, and several Canadian caribou, moose, and muskox hunts.

It's stainless barrel and action and Remington Tupperware stock are perfect for wet weather.

Then a few years ago I bought a couple of other Weatherby Vanguard rifles in their Griptonite stocks that I really like, so last summer I put my Rem 700 7mm RM barrel and action in a new Weatherby Griptonite stock.

I lengthened the stock to my LOP, pillar and glass bedded the action, floated the barrel and gave it a black base paint job under with white Marbelizing.

It's now topped with a Leupold VX 3i 4.5-14x40 CDS side focus scope.

Not as pretty as Fancy walnut, but I lilke it...
08wGfWDl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goldpatnners

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,