Well the deposit is paid but

I didn’t grow up poor, but I was taught the value of money by my parents who grew up poor. You were rich compared to my dad. He spent a winter in Illinois in a canvas house....
On my moms side, $110 a week supported two families13 people in all, and the cows ate first.

Having said that, you should defiantly feel bad by spending $1k a year ($3 a day) on something stupid like coffee or cigarettes. That itself is a plane ticket to go do something awesome with your loved ones.
Buy one, cry once. A trip to Africa with your loved ones you only cry when you pay the bill, and you have the rest of your life to cherish the memories. Better than spending it on junk, stuff you ***ahem*** exscrete out the next day, or a quickly depreciating asset like a brand new car every year.

PS I do not believe in saving for years for a once in a lifetime trip, I would rather take three or four trips in moderation. That is just my opinion though.

After our land, I think the money we spent on the safari we did together might rank as our best purchase.

Yes, there was some trepidation about spending that kind of coin on a "trip".

But not once since doing it have either of us regretted it.

PS I do not believe in saving for years for a once in a lifetime trip, I would rather take three or four trips in moderation. That is just my opinion though.

lol - I just booked my second "once in a lifetime" trip! :)

Honestly, when I went the first time I thought it would be the only time.

But as so many like to say, you can't do just one!

lol - I just booked my second "once in a lifetime" trip! :)

Honestly, when I went the first time I thought it would be the only time.

But as so many like to say, you can't do just one!

I'm getting ready for my sixth "once in a lifetime" trip. :rolleyes: My mentor is getting ready for #24 and that's just Africa. (p.s. he's running out of animals). You can talk all the shit you want but thank God for scared money, Donald Trump and the stock market. YMMV. :p

I agree with what everyone has said. I grew up without a father...He walked out on us when I was very young. If not for our grandparents who owned the house we certainty had been in deep do do.. I ve spent more money on hunting in my life than I probably should have and continue to do so at least by my wife's standards. I don't regret it a second I have to admit. The places I ve hunted and the things I ve seen cannot be taken away from me. Go and enjoy yourselves. As said you've earned it.

IN YOUR SHOES!
Mom was a bar maid owned by my Godmother, Dad was a coast to coast truck driver. 7 of us kids.
Our Christmas presents came from the church.
This did not stop me. I started delivering papers when 9. Bought my own banana bike, went to the TSC store and bought my first hunting knife, which I still own. Went to the Dairy Queen and bought a foot long hot dog and malt for a $1.00, I was living the high life.
Life went on. I always wanted to be a taxidermist as a kid, and go to Africa.
Fast forward 49 years. I've been a taxidermist 31 years and at 61 years of age, I've hunted Africa 10 times and not done yet.

Man, what a lot of amazing life stories. We've forgotten HARDSHIP is a great motivator and they remind me of the days when if you wanted something better, you WORKED for it. You got better educated, or worked overtime, two jobs, started your own business, or whatever was needed to get what you wanted. Now we have a culture where everyone is ENTITLED to the rewards of work without doing it. We have the government and charities giving everything to people in need. I think that's good to a certain extent but that we've gone too far with that thinking and it's become a way of life for too many. We've gotten to the point where certain groups feel like they are ENTITLED to everything that they should be working for and instead of trying to better themselves, they've been accustomed to standing in line for free handouts. From my perspective, all we are doing is perpetuating this mindset and increasing the numbers that have this attitude.

Sorry for getting off on a tangent, We now return you to our regular programming.

I could almost carbon copy your story @cmc. I grew up in a very poor part of rural Appalachia. The tri state area of Virginia, Tennessee and Kentucky. We always had everything we needed but not what we always wanted. I had very hard working and loving parents that would do without so my sister and I had some things that were wants but very few. Graduated high school went to work in the construction industry and have my living in this industry . If the lord delays his second coming until after May 6th I will get to hunt Africa. I will be hunting with KMG safaris. I would like to think this is the only the start to my African hunting but sadly it is probably the only time will visit Africa. This trip has been 46 years in the making but the memories will last as long I do and no one can take that from you. So if there are any younger people that dreams of Africa hard work and dedication will get you there some day.

I could almost carbon copy your story @cmc. I grew up in a very poor part of rural Appalachia. The tri state area of Virginia, Tennessee and Kentucky. We always had everything we needed but not what we always wanted. I had very hard working and loving parents that would do without so my sister and I had some things that were wants but very few. Graduated high school went to work in the construction industry and have my living in this industry . If the lord delays his second coming until after May 6th I will get to hunt Africa. I will be hunting with KMG safaris. I would like to think this is the only the start to my African hunting but sadly it is probably the only time will visit Africa. This trip has been 46 years in the making but the memories will last as long I do and no one can take that from you. So if there are any younger people that dreams of Africa hard work and dedication will get you there some day.

Grew up in Jefferson City, TN...went to school at ETSU. I know where you come from. I hunted with KMG last year, and you are going to love it. I thought I would only go once, but after only a couple of days in Mpunzi Lodge, I knew I would be back. Saving up for trip #2 right now.

I agree with what everyone has said. I grew up without a father...He walked out on us when I was very young. If not for our grandparents who owned the house we certainty had been in deep do do.. I ve spent more money on hunting in my life than I probably should have and continue to do so at least by my wife's standards. I don't regret it a second I have to admit. The places I ve hunted and the things I ve seen cannot be taken away from me. Go and enjoy yourselves. As said you've earned it.

Agreed. I decided that I may end up broke and living in a cardboard box under an overpass, but I'll have memories and stories of the time I hunted AFRICA. No one can ever take that away from me.

Thanks all for the great short stories.
I show all my friends and clients my 401K in my showrooms from my many varied safaris.

As per all the comments above... you DSERVE the hunt and worked your butt off to get there.
My first 21 x day safari took me forever to decide and pay the deposit.. likewise, I had the money BUT was loathe to separate myself from it when it could have gone to so many other necessities. My wife was the deciding factor in the end... YOU worked for it and you need to spend it doing what you desire most, she said!!! Once the ice was broken, it was a lot easier on subsequent safaris/ hunts.
You will have a blast... enjoy every second of it... take lots of fotos. Memories are a treasure indeed!!!

Seems you've done all the right things to get to where you are in life.
It sounds like you done for others, now it's time to do something for yourself. After all we only go through this live once, so enjoy it once in a while.
Have a great hunt, make memories, share your story(ies) of adventure(s).
And by the way: take a lot of pics and keep a journal to refer to and to help plan for your next trip.

I was reading a book about the American Indians and some had the philosophy that it is not the quantity of life that is to be valued but the quality of life. You have done it hard and had a quality life no mistakes, the African trip will be another chapter to add to the quality store and all the better doing it with your wife.
Well done(y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ekaterina Lobach North Fork Bullets

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!