Welcome To The Wonderful World Of BSA

Hunter-Habib

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Zambia , Namibia , Kenya , Mozambique , Zimbabwe
Today, when most younger generations of hunters think of British firearms... they conjure up images in their minds of bespoke gun houses such as James Purdey & Sons or Westley Richards.

But this was not always so. Those of us who are a certain age (esp. the ones like me who were born informer British colonies) have fond memories of BSA (Birmingham Small Arms) firearms.

Building firearms up until 1974, BSA offered mass production decent quality firearms for the working class hunter. Many of their firearms still grace the second hand racks of gun stores found in Great Britain, Australia, Pakistan, India, Bangladesh & Africa (albeit in varying conditions).

Since a lot of you gents frequently come across second hand BSA firearms on the market, I thought that perhaps it might help you if I uploaded some of these vintage book pages so that you can better understand BSA rifles & shotguns.

BSA rifles were unique in that the post World War II variants were built on their own proprietary actions. The early “Royal” models were control round feed; being built like the Mauser Model 98 action but with the two piece striker similar to what one encounters on a Springfield Model 1903A3. The later “Majestic” and “Monarch” lines employed a push feed action which was infinitely more reliable than a Remington Model 700 or post ‘64- pre ‘92 Winchester Model 70 action.

BSA firearms were (and still are) quite revered amongst African hunters (both white hunters and local resident hunters). Two of my white hunters (Mr. Cheffings in Kenya and Mr. Palmer in Botswana) almost exclusively preferred a BSA Majestic in .458 Winchester Magnum as their dangerous game backup rifle of choice. As did elephant culler Paul Grobler. It was also Mr. Richard Harland’s personally owned dangerous game rifle of choice until 1973 (which was gifted to him by Paul Grobler). Richard owned another BSA Majestic in .30-06 Springfield as his plains game rifle of choice. Much like myself, he loves these old British rifles but doesn’t have a kind word to say about those beastly built-in muzzle brakes.

Warmest Regards,
Habib
received_385786106100448.jpeg
received_311271223282936.jpeg
received_378427770161713.jpeg
received_859378194836234.jpeg
received_2734959493387918.jpeg
received_838578516908731.jpeg
received_1709977672508980.jpeg
received_221211809353937.jpeg
received_682597025758047.jpeg
received_198810455081189.jpeg
received_196828018652701.jpeg
received_1311885105846180.jpeg
received_337912930851755.jpeg

A BSA Monarch in 7mm Remington Magnum
IMG_20240212_153134.jpg
IMG_20240212_153226.jpg

IMG_20240212_153159.jpg

A BSA Majestic in .458 Winchester Magnum still doing what it was designed to do (Please note that this photograph is NOT mine)
FB_IMG_1694189884904.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think I've heard of BSA, thank you for sharing.

When I first read the headline I thought this might be about the organization formerly known as Boy Scouts of America which decided to rename itself as Scouting America. :confused:

Fortunately, it is about those fine rifles made in Birmingham, England. I bought a BSA Monarch chambered in .30-06 earlier this year. It was made in 1972 and it looks to be a very well made rifle. As soon as I can scope it, I will be taking it to the range. I still have to get one of those ugly see-through mounts with a striped screw off of it.

Thanks for posting this, Habib.

I acquired a BSA in 308 from a Navaho friend in the early 70's. Yes that extremely loud muzzle brake. Very light and one could shoot one handed, if not expecting to hit anything...lol. Invariably what was a nice group would suddenly start to walk. Whatever collector value, if any, was ruined by floating the barrel and bedding the receiver. It still wouldn't group. I took it to my gunsmith who promptly showed me the problem. In 308 the chamber is longer than American chambers so the "jump" from chamber to barrel caused the walking. He did a chamber cast and also a sample cartridge, no primer, no powder, to set up reloading die. Cloverleaf's after that. If my son still has and has cartridges I might take for a plains rifle this Sept. S. Africa hunt.

Great rifles. In big Bore they did not make many so if you do come across any snap them up. The 458 propping the elephant up above is the Emperor model made from 1958 to 65 serial numbers with a 9C.
There is also a 375 H&H model Imperial 10B in serial numbers but unknown on production years. Nice rifles.

Useful post, thank you !

I have had many many BSA rifles of all models & still have a few, don't miss the ones with that BESA break, my ears are still ringing.

With all our new gun laws coming in most hunters are dumping the old guns & BSA's are all over right now, last week my buddy got in to sell a CF2 (I don't normally like them myself) looks like new & hasn't been shot, it is in 7x64mm & has a stock style I have never seen on a CF2, if I didn't have so many guns id buy it as way back I had a Mannlicher in 7x64 & found it a great caliber, just hard to find factory ammo, not really a problem now days as I buy very little factory stuff .

Thanks @Hunter-Habib

My first firearm was a BSA .22

I think it was a Supersport 5

Last edited:
Not hunting rifles, but herewith a picture of my small collection of BSA air rifles. All of them still operational. I so wish it was possible for these little air rifles to share their 100+ years of experiences in hands of kids exploring the African bush.

Screenshot_20240513_110503.jpg

Very interesting. As a middle aged American, when I think of BSA the only thing that came to mind were motorcycles my even older friends have or had. Never realized the company made both. Though it makes sense. Heck, Husqvarna makes an awesome chainsaw (I have two) and started out with arms and sewing machines to my understanding.

Very interesting. As a middle aged American, when I think of BSA the only thing that came to mind were motorcycles my even older friends have or had. Never realized the company made both. Though it makes sense. Heck, Husqvarna makes an awesome chainsaw (I have two) and started out with arms and sewing machines to my understanding.
If you looked at the emblem of BSA you would of seen the 3 Stacked rifles on them.

BSA was making fire arms 50yrs before they started making bikes, I had a BSA push bike when I was a kid to go with my Air Rifle lol

Today, when most younger generations of hunters think of British firearms... they conjure up images in their minds of bespoke gun houses such as James Purdey & Sons or Westley Richards.

But this was not always so. Those of us who are a certain age (esp. the ones like me who were born informer British colonies) have fond memories of BSA (Birmingham Small Arms) firearms.

Building firearms up until 1974, BSA offered mass production decent quality firearms for the working class hunter. Many of their firearms still grace the second hand racks of gun stores found in Great Britain, Australia, Pakistan, India, Bangladesh & Africa (albeit in varying conditions).

Since a lot of you gents frequently come across second hand BSA firearms on the market, I thought that perhaps it might help you if I uploaded some of these vintage book pages so that you can better understand BSA rifles & shotguns.

BSA rifles were unique in that the post World War II variants were built on their own proprietary actions. The early “Royal” models were control round feed; being built like the Mauser Model 98 action but with the two piece striker similar to what one encounters on a Springfield Model 1903A3. The later “Majestic” and “Monarch” lines employed a push feed action which was infinitely more reliable than a Remington Model 700 or post ‘64- pre ‘92 Winchester Model 70 action.

BSA firearms were (and still are) quite revered amongst African hunters (both white hunters and local resident hunters). Two of my white hunters (Mr. Cheffings in Kenya and Mr. Palmer in Botswana) almost exclusively preferred a BSA Majestic in .458 Winchester Magnum as their dangerous game backup rifle of choice. As did elephant culler Paul Grobler. It was also Mr. Richard Harland’s personally owned dangerous game rifle of choice until 1973 (which was gifted to him by Paul Grobler). Richard owned another BSA Majestic in .30-06 Springfield as his plains game rifle of choice. Much like myself, he loves these old British rifles but doesn’t have a kind word to say about those beastly built-in muzzle brakes.

Warmest Regards,
Habib
View attachment 605291View attachment 605292View attachment 605293View attachment 605294View attachment 605295View attachment 605296View attachment 605297View attachment 605298View attachment 605299View attachment 605300View attachment 605301View attachment 605302View attachment 605303
A BSA Monarch in 7mm Remington Magnum
View attachment 605320View attachment 605318
View attachment 605317
A BSA Majestic in .458 Winchester Magnum still doing what it was designed to do (Please note that this photograph is NOT mine)View attachment 605319
Thanks much for posting.

They made some very nice 303 as well. The Lee Speed.

I’m really glad that all of you gents enjoyed this.
Oh yes we do, because actually I Love BSA & have since I was 10yrs old or so !

If I was to include P14's, BSA Sporters (Lee Speeds Sporters) cut down ex military rifles, Martinis & .22's I would have 50 of them or more, sort of collect Speeders .

When I was growing up the list of rifles wasn't as long as today & NZ had mainly firearms from the UK, so Parker Hale , Brno, BSA & top back then would be Sako .

Strangely my favorites back then & still today were Brno & BSA (I like & have a few Sako's now) the Brno & BSA models I really like were actually designed by the same guys the Koucky Brothers !

If not butting in too much I could get a pic of that near new CF2 7x64 & show the stock shape I have never seen on the CF2 models offered down here before ?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MelodeeLed

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani