Weirdest animal shot and what with?

And something caught my eye crossing the road. He was slowed down with a full belly and half a small Kangaroo in his mouth. A Joey.
Don't remember what I got him with. Maybe the 7mm-08
20180206_201006.jpg
20180206_200919.jpg

I suppose my contribution is an opossum with a bucket of water. As a teenager I was fur trapping and caught my first opossum( opossums were just moving into area that never had them). I shot it in the head with a 22 short right where I shot coyotes, coons, fox etc and put it in the back of the truck. When I got home the opossum was sitting up so I took it out and shot in the head again. I grabbed a coon and skinned it then went back to where the opossum was and it was still alive. Well what the hell was I supposed to do when i’d already shot it twice so I put it in a bucket of water with a rock on top to drown it. After I finished skinning the rest of the fox and coon I checked on the opossum and it was finally dead. I later disected its head and the brain was not where it should have been. It was all the way to the back of the skull where the spinal cord entered so I was just shooting into a spongy part of the skull.

You have red fox in Australia?
Plenty,
Like Rabbits they were introduced 200 years ago for sport.
Released on the south eat coast they flourished and spread well on the whole lower part of our island and I think they did not d o s o well on the tropics of our northern end

I suppose my contribution is an opossum with a bucket of water. As a teenager I was fur trapping and caught my first opossum( opossums were just moving into area that never had them). I shot it in the head with a 22 short right where I shot coyotes, coons, fox etc and put it in the back of the truck. When I got home the opossum was sitting up so I took it out and shot in the head again. I grabbed a coon and skinned it then went back to where the opossum was and it was still alive. Well what the hell was I supposed to do when i’d already shot it twice so I put it in a bucket of water with a rock on top to drown it. After I finished skinning the rest of the fox and coon I checked on the opossum and it was finally dead. I later disected its head and the brain was not where it should have been. It was all the way to the back of the skull where the spinal cord entered so I was just shooting into a spongy part of the skull.

If we're allowing stories that dont involve shooting as the method of dispatch...

I once took a canada goose with a 40oz beer bottle :)

Probably 25 years ago.. I was working a midnight shift as a cop in a city thats not too far off one of the major migratory flyways... about 4 AM I found a huge canada goose laying in the middle of a major roadway that appeared to be dead...

I assumed he had caught a pellet earlier in the day from a hunter and had flown several miles and ended up giving up the ghost over the city (it was duck season at the time)...

So I parked the squad car, got out.. and approached the goose, intending on just throwing him to the side of the road and getting him off the pavement before traffic started up in a couple of hours...

The moment I touched his neck to pick him up, he came to life.. and he was none too happy with me putting my paws on him..

The fight was on...

As we got close to the roads edge, while in an active bout of pugilism with said Canada Goose, I spied an empty 40oz Schiltz Malt Liquor bottle.. so I picked it up and brained my angry feathered friend with it..

I ended up having to whack him a good 3 or 4 times before I was 100% certain he was dead...

I then threw him in the trunk of the squad car, took him home when my shift was over 2 hours later... and ate him later that evening :)

When leaving the deer lease, I saw an Armadillo a few feet from the car and shot it with .357 revolver, 125 grain JHP.
Walked over to check it and all that was left was the near side shell- the far side shell and all insides were blown away!
Moral is, do not get shot by a magnum revolver!

They are kind of hard on hogs too.

Back before we were old enough to pull a trigger we used slingshots.

It was during those days that I shot a few weavers too. (blue one in photo below) If we killed them or broke a wing we would build a fire, cook and eat them on the spot. We thought we were pretty tough big game hunters. If we just knocked the wind out of them they would go into the aviary. Shot all kinds of birds, including doves, pigeons, Franklin, monitor Lizards, iguanas, snakes, bush baby’s or anything that moved. We were pretty deadly.

I never had the power to kill monkeys, guinea or ducks, With the slingshot although I have hit a number of them. Friends however killed a vervet monkey once

Second photo is a bush baby. Knocked the wind out of him. Thought he would be a neat pet. Mom didn't like him jumping and knocking things off the shelves. He was released back to his buddies.

View attachment 366940View attachment 366942
i have a family of bush baby’s living in my roof. They have ruined the ceiling with urine. Every evening they depart to forage just as the sun sets and I vow to shoot them with the .22 air gun . It they are actually very cute and I don’t have the heart... I guess I’ll. E replacing the ceiling soon..

i have a family of bush baby’s living in my roof. They have ruined the ceiling with urine. Every evening they depart to forage just as the sun sets and I vow to shoot them with the .22 air gun . It they are actually very cute and I don’t have the heart... I guess I’ll. E replacing the ceiling soon..
@John Telford
What's wrong with a trap in the ceiling mate. Clean safe and harmless to the little critters.
Bob

Ah ah ah ! Bat (Roussette)! I must have over 1000 on my mind. I shot them with a 5mm air rifle when I was a child in Upper Volta. The Caicedra trees around the house were dotted with them. And when there was not enough around the house, I would disturb them in the trees of the other streets to bring them back to mine. I gave the products of my hunt to the children in the street who followed my adventures. Ah ah ah !

Bush Baby's are cute to have around but they are about like squirrels, they just cause problems inside the house. Eating insects was about the only good thing ours did. The down side is they would also eat the geckos which probably ate more insects in the house. Another downside of having them in the house is them crying at night when your trying to sleep.

I have seen videos from Buzz Charleston's camp where he has some bush baby's in Dandy and they feed them popcorn out of their hand. They look really cute in that setting.

I killed a porcupine in Montana at night with a steel post driver.

A friend of mine lived on a huge ranch up there . We went out to check irrigation pumps before turning in one night when I was visiting.
This porcupine was running down the “road”. We stopped as I wanted it, and he just wanted it dead.
We took the only vehicle on the place with no gun. All I could come up with was the post driver. I beat the tar out of him as he ran down an embankment.
My friend just kept yelling “don’t fall on him! don’t fall on him!”
I do still have the skull.

P1000585.JPG
The smallest one wounded at first shot , the biggest shot in my shoes, in the eye, and the first one achieved, brain shot, .... with 7x64 federal NP 160gr ...3,30 & 3,70m

I got a Cape cobra with a 30-06 on my first hunt in Africa. We had a doorless backie for riding the sand dunes and it struck at the car as we drove by. PH was pretty shaken up, understandably.

I also would put capybara high on the list of weird things. Seeing and killing a deer sized rodent is really odd. I used a rented gun and can't remember what it was.

aardwolfe, serval and porcupine with bow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiagpt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois