Weird stuff to bring for tips / gratuities

Simple non-melting candy like Smarties is easy to transport and is always a hit especially for kids when you run into them. But unless staff start eyeing/hinting at a particular item, cash tips in USD are always best. And it depends on their culture. Some really don't want "things" because they want to avoid the jealousy gifts can create.

I’ve never seen any major restrictions on alkaline batteries like AA and AAA. I’m told quality batteries are difficult to come by in Zimbabwe and you can definitely be a long way from a town that sells batteries. The only restrictions I can find on flying with AA or AAA alkaline batteries are only in personal use quantities, so bringing over spares for lights or couple weeks use of trail cameras is fine. South Africa is just as easy to pick up once you arrive and a town will never be that far away if you run out.
I brought something like 80+ batteries last time, no one asked a thing.

Everyone loves a Trumpie.

IMG_2736.jpg

Available from Amazon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think many hunters place too much value on gifts especially to the trackers and other staff. Most items of value the staff gets will be sold. There is a reason they don’t have binoculars and still use the same old knife. I like bringing over some gifts but I wouldn’t spend any money purposely buying these gifts, unless specifically asked by PH. Cash is always better option.
You are 101 percent correct. Give a tracker a Korean era wool great coat. He will keep it forever. Give him your $500.00 gortex coat and he will sell it for $75.00 before you can board your plane, but you will feel all warm and fuzzy telling everyone back home the story. Oh, the $75.00? He used it to pay school fees.

Simple non-melting candy like Smarties is easy to transport and is always a hit especially for kids when you run into them. But unless staff start eyeing/hinting at a particular item, cash tips in USD are always best. And it depends on their culture. Some really don't want "things" because they want to avoid the jealousy gifts can create.
Sometimes, USD cash tips are not the best for the local staff. Talk to the Outfitter/PH. Sometimes, the local currency is best. Depends on what the local street market is for currency exchange. In some places, the street exchange rate (black market) is much better than the official exchange rate that you will get from a bank, hotel or airport currency exchange place. If that's the case, then USD tips are preferred. If there isn't an easy access for currency exchange, then tipping in local currency is better.

Here the staff obviously have no access to change places so kwacha for tips is best for them....and as I have said before don't bring usd 20 notes or smaller to change, as you get around 30% less in the change shops on the rate than for 50 or 100 notes....the staff will like gifts , but I promise you cash is king for them....as for batteries here you can go into any supermarket and there are racks of AAA and AA of various brands , from crap to good ....same with sweets massive selection...with batteries the prices for the good brands might be more than in usa ..most likely are but don't know....and some of the higher end brands of chocolates are eye wateringly expensive...but at least you can get them.... no exchange controls here so plenty of forex change places in the malls...some better than others but rates generally not far off the bank rates...especially for usd..

Here the staff obviously have no access to change places so kwacha for tips is best for them....and as I have said before don't bring usd 20 notes or smaller to change, as you get around 30% less in the change shops on the rate than for 50 or 100 notes....the staff will like gifts , but I promise you cash is king for them....as for batteries here you can go into any supermarket and there are racks of AAA and AA of various brands , from crap to good ....same with sweets massive selection...with batteries the prices for the good brands might be more than in usa ..most likely are but don't know....and some of the higher end brands of chocolates are eye wateringly expensive...but at least you can get them.... no exchange controls here so plenty of forex change places in the malls...some better than others but rates generally not far off the bank rates...especially for usd..

I’m going to review what I suggest people take

however, I’ll stick to boots and books

perhaps ….

Boots, books and Bucks

Can one fly with lithium batteries? I have been specifically asked at the airport if I had lithium's batteries in my luggage the last couple times I flew domestically. May have only pertained to carry on, not sure on that.
ALL batteries should be in carry-on only.

So batteries
flash lights
sanitary pads
candy
school supplies
and I saw this video

I have also, in the past, taken paracetamol and baby milk powder

however I’ve really struggled to get either
Pharmacists what a doctor’s prescription

I hunted with KMG years ago, I had a pair of binos that a recently deceased friend had left me.
The tracker (Lloyd, IIRC??) had an OLD pair of leupolds that were JUNK, I mean really worthless. I traded him!!!
So, I left a part of my friend in Africa and made the tracker happy!! I sent the Leupolds back (made in Japan) and got a brand new pair in exchange.

Marius told me a few times that those binos are his most prized possession.

school supplies
When we went I asked about this, but it was suggested that we stop in the local town store and purchase the school supplies there. Made sense as we then also helped out the local economy as well as the school. Think we almost cleared out all they had for the school

So batteries
flash lights
sanitary pads
candy
school supplies
and I saw this video

I have gifted the exact same cabelas branded multi-tool that she features in her video a few times in the past... they have always gone over well with local staff and are super affordable..

they used to be $5.99 each, and a couple of times a year the local cabelas would put them on sale for $3.99.. whenever I'd see them do that I'd pick up a half dozen or so of them to take with me on the next trip... I've probably got another dozen or so stashed away here as well (1 in each vehicles glove box, 1 in my UTV box, 1 in my desk drawer, 1 in my fishing box tool box, 1 in my fishing tackle box, 1 in my archery tool box, etc..).. They arent the same quality as a leatherman or gerber tool.. but theyre impossible to beat for $4....

They increased in price to $7.99 about a year ago.. and I have not seen them put on sale since the price increase... but even at $8 a unit, they are well worth the price, and still make a nice gift idea...

I actually need to make a run to cabelas fairly soon for some other items that I plan on muleing over to South Africa on our July trip.. I might grab a handful of them in pink to gift all of the @Bos en Dal SAFARIS PH's.. just to see if they will carry them :D :D :D

I helped my PH out before I even got to SA with some stuff he wanted for his computer. I also heard from members here that his wife was an excellent cook so I brought some Saffron and a Twin Cities Harley Davidson T-shirt for her and a bunch of Music CDs for him. The tracker got my Boots

Perhaps those round, flat "tap to turn on lights" battery powered for areas without wiring.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-31 at 7.59.23 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-31 at 7.59.23 AM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 43
A lot of great ideas. I have started leaving the PH's a tourniquet, pressure bandage, gauze for stuffing a wound and and chest seals. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillianPet

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.