Weird stuff to bring for tips / gratuities

What about stuff, like Scotch & Cigars, for my own personal use?
You don't have to worry about any of that stuff unless you have something like over $500 worth. I wouldn't worry about it anyway.

I think that you would be limited on the scotch, not sure on the cigars.

I'm a frequent cigar mule. The limit is 50 / two boxes. Never had an issue bringing two boxes in for the hunt.

Also, you're now allowed Cubans upon re-entry to the USA. Dubai and Spain are the two best places to buy them.

In Cameroon I left behind batteries, Avon skin so soft, zip ties, and then the item that really got them excited: duct tape.

I'm a frequent cigar mule. The limit is 50 / two boxes. Never had an issue bringing two boxes in for the hunt.

Also, you're now allowed Cubans upon re-entry to the USA. Dubai and Spain are the two best places to buy them.

50 leaves me almost none to share... Im pretty much a 3 cigar a day kinda guy while on vacation :)

+1 on Dubai.. great prices.. especially if you can hit duty free in the airport on the first monday of the month when they run their big sales..

In Terminal 3 ask for their "aged" stock.. theyve always got several boxes (dozens if not more) of stuff thats anywhere from 10-15 years old..

My last time through I picked up a box of Por Larranga Petit Coronas with a box date of 1999 on them, and a box of Ramon Allones Superiores from 2004...

Both were beautiful smokes..and both MUCH cheaper (even aged) than anywhere in Europe or the rest of the Middle East..

I didn't give them the shirt off my back, but I did give our two trackers the matching Carhartt jackets my daughter and I got for our eastern cape hunt with @Game 4 Africa Safaris. The jackets actually fit them pretty good. Our PH, Wik Coetze, tossed in the sixpack. This was a 10 day hunt, so I also tipped the staff the equivalent of our 2x1 dayrate and also tipped the PH the same amount.

When I go back to hunt again with Game 4 Africa, I think I'll bring some khaki or green shorts for Mike, to replace those red ones. :)

thumb_img_2382_1024-jpg.152997

What about stuff, like Scotch & Cigars, for my own personal use?

This is probably a good idea. Both of the outfitters I hunt with had scotch, but it was JB... not exactly the celebratory drink I'm looking for after finally getting my kudu after days and days of busted stalks and missed chances or after stalking to within 15 paces of my lion... Those days deserve something special!

is it true that all the PH's would rather have "AfricanHunting.com" baseball caps than money for a tip?

Haha - truth! I did hand out AH hats to my PHs, in addition to their cash tip.

Also, I gave my Rocky Desert Boots to my tracker. They served me well in Iraq and on Safari. Now they'll serve him well too.

I did ask the outfitter, sent them an email with all sorts of items, what is needed, what is liked, appreciated so while i will be packing my sons bags (he won't be finished school till a few days before we leave for SA) he will be carrying some Preparation H for one of the chappies

I was shocked when my outfitter and I were talking about the rampant theft through the mail, and limited opportunities to buy outdoors gear. Knowing that, I would happily have tossed in some "retired", but still good gear that I am sure could have been put to good use by him. NOT as part of a "gratuity", but good will.

I always ask if the PH needs anything from the states, in three weeks I'm bringing Goldfish/cheddar/jalapeño crackers per request.
On my first safari I brought along some tee shirts with my company logo and gave them away.
Second trip I gave away Michelin, Continental and Cooper Tire corporate swag tee shirts, hats etc...
This has been so popular with the "staff" that I now shop for new military surplus shirts and jackets in field colors/camo.
Half of my luggage is full of give away field gear and the PH's tell me the trackers wear them every day

I only bring items for PH if asked. I’ve brought fishing gear, trail cameras, batteries, and some hard to find old radio equipment I was able to locate on eBay. For staff, I get a ton of free hats from different companies at work I always bring over and any other freebies I’ve gotten between last trip and next trip I always bring as well. I give it away on first day if I can and tips on the last day. The staff is always happy with the extras.

I only bring items for PH if asked. I’ve brought fishing gear, trail cameras, batteries, and some hard to find old radio equipment I was able to locate on eBay. For staff, I get a ton of free hats from different companies at work I always bring over and any other freebies I’ve gotten between last trip and next trip I always bring as well. I give it away on first day if I can and tips on the last day. The staff is always happy with the extras.
I agree, I'm only comfortable bringing stuff my ph asked for. Mine wanted a winch for his truck and luckily I had room in my suitcase and was just under the weight limit. The tracker/skinner asked for a couple camo t shirts so I left a few.

Just got back from my first time in RSA. My PH was awesome. Never met or knew him beforehand. I was shooting Barnes TTSX 300 win mag. At some point he mentioned how he was a huge fan of that ammo and wished he could find it there for his 300 win mag. I left him a generous cash tip and a full box of Barnes.

Good binoculars go over quite well too. Zeiss Terra 8x32's.
and batteries!

Energizer LITHIUM AA Batteries. Specifically, and solely those. (long shelf life, 250% longer run time)

When you're hunting and can't find what you need, the problem isn't the fact they have 30 trail cameras, the problem is no batteries.

So its a self-serving gift. Whatever doesn't help your cause, helps them thereafter.

I ask my clients to take

1. boots - that I supply- for the anti poaching patrols

2. cheap bush crafty knives and hand held saws- one each - required for our courses but left thereafter

3. TEFL books (teaching English as a foreign language) for the local school

4. water purifiers- though I suspect they don’t get used by the teams

5. torch

6. batteries

7. hat

8. sun glasses for the more Gucci members of the anti poaching teams

The long kitchen knife sharpeners are useful for both the kitchen and skinning staff. I have seen skinners attempt to sharpen their skinning knives on the back of pickup tailgates and also directly on concrete blocks. Ouch!

I have found old used sharpeners for $1.00 each here in the USA. Happy hunting, TheGrayRider.

On our most recent trip, we brought trail cameras, inflatable sleeping mats, batteries, head lamps, and random clothes, school supplies, and soccer balls (kids love these).

Also, left behind ammo, bug spray, and medicine.

ammo and rope

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross