Wash Your Boots!

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Ryan, Jul 5, 2019.

1. ActionBob

ActionBob AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA life, DSC, SCI
    Hunted:
    Minnesota, Texas, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, British Columbia, Argentina, Kansas, Macedonia, Austria
    Sorry you cannot shoot them but that is a very selfish and short sighted attitude.

2. Philip Glass

Philip Glass AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
    Hunted:
    RSA, Namibia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, Zimbabwe, Texas
    2 sides to everything but this was lighthearted I believe. I now have Anthrax on one ranch due to feral hogs so a big problem. A problem that needs a solution.
    Philip

David AK 53, WAB and wesheltonj like this.

3. Terry Blauwkamp

Terry Blauwkamp AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, Dallas Safari Club, NRA
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, Nambia, & South Africa
    Strange that Atlanta is concerned about the boots, but I've never had Dulles care.

4. thi9elsp

thi9elsp AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life Member: Buckmasters, NRA, RMEF, DSC, SCI, and CCA
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, Mozambique
    Be aware if you travel to New Zealand they will inspect your hunting boots regardless of where you are coming from. Even though Ann wasn't hunting they inspected hers too. It was minimal effort for us to make sure we had cleaned our boots back home and before we left New Zealand. Same on our way to Zimbabwe and Mozambique and back.

5. jeff

jeff AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci P&Y
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa in Kwazu Natal, Limpopo, Eastern Cape , Northwest Province, USA Ariz, Nev, Mont, Ida, Ore, Cal, Mich,Wash, AlasKa
    I agree, Dulles, Houston, and Seattle have never looked at my boots or arrows but Atlanta does. More governmental disorganization, the right hand doesn't know what the left does!

6. Bos Javanicus

Bos Javanicus AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Australia, New Zealand
    Yes, they will check your boots going into NZ because of the environmental disaster of 'Green Slime' or 'Snot' which was brought into the Southern Island by an unsuspecting international fresh water fisherman. It is a horrible slimy weed which mostly sticks to rocks, branches etc in the streams and has destroyed a large portion of the pristine streams in the South Island.

Don't complain about getting your boots cleaned guys, it doesn't hurt and only takes a few minutes of your time. The people who live in the country will appreciate your concern.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2019
    ActionBob likes this.

7. Ryan

Ryan AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    New Zealand may be fanatical about it partly due to the green slime you mention. But from looking through the USDA Animal Products Manual (it's all online) they are also fanatical because they have no livestock diseases and I'm guessing want to keep it that way. It helps that they are an island.

Anyway, as the title implies and experience has shown don't think CBP will wash them every time so wash your boots before you leave anywhere you are hunting. Better to leave the dirt there. An ounce of prevention...

ActionBob likes this.

8. ActionBob

ActionBob AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA life, DSC, SCI
    Hunted:
    Minnesota, Texas, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, British Columbia, Argentina, Kansas, Macedonia, Austria
    In Africa there is always someone in camp doing laundry and he or she will happily clean your boots to a pristine level;) Of course please tip them well. :)

9. BigSteve57

BigSteve57 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA, Local gun clubs & shooting range.
    Hunted:
    USA, Namibia
    They checked & sprayed our boots at Dulles when returning. Perhaps it was because we checked certain boxes on our entry forms. We sprayed everything with Permethrin when we packed up in the US and when we packed up in Africa.

ActionBob likes this.

10. Dennis L

Dennis L New Member

Hunted:
    USA, Namibia, RSA
    I've hunted Africa 3 times, twice flying through Dulles and once through Atlanta.

On the two times through Dulles, neither boots nor firearms and 4457s were inspected by CBP upon my return. I simply went through Customs, picked up my baggage, and firearms, and went home (I lived in the area at the time).

My last trip (2018) was through Atlanta. Upon returning, CBP had our gun cases moved to a separate location and you stood in line awaiting inspection. While in line I overheard other hunters talking about washing their boots. I had no idea of what they were talking about. My Kenetrek Safari boots are about the most comfortable boots that I own and I wear them almost 100% of the time while on hunting trip and I was wearing them then.

When it was my turn to meet with CBP, my firearms and 4457s were inspected but there weren't any questions about boots or washing them. Since I had no idea of what the other hunters were talking about, I simply went on my merry way and went home.