Warne 98 Mauser Unaltered bases

Paul K

AH enthusiast
Joined
Oct 1, 2024
Messages
337
Reaction score
643
Location
Ohio
Member of
NRA Life member, Ohio Gun Collectors Asso.
Hunted
Ohio,Canada, Zimbabwe, South Africa,KwaZula Natal, MD. ,MT., AR. and W.VA. PA. AZ.
Has anyone used the Warne 98 Mauser 2 piece bases for an unaltered 98 action ? How did they work out ? Did you have any problems that I should be aware of ?
Thank You
Paul
 
I have a set on my husky 640, 9.3x57. They have worked out great. Been on that rifle for 5-6 years.


FB_IMG_1769452498556.jpg
 
I’ve had Warne bases and QD rings on a pair of FN Browning High Power Safari Grade Rifles since the 1980’s; .458 Win Mag & .300 Win Mag. Those are standard M98 Large Ring Actions. No problems whatsoever.
 
Just curious. How many screws in the rear base?
 
I have the one piece base for an unaltered on a gew 98. Not what you’re asking about I know but I did have to adjust the radius for the clip boss for it to not be on a bind.
 
On the standard warne 98 mauser bases there are 2 screws on the rear base.
 
Sorry, that's a husky 146. My other husky is a 640. It wears a set of warnes too.
That is exactly what I picked last week, a 146 in 9.3X57. Glad to here that the Warne's will work fine. My concern now is if I'm going to need the bolt altered for scope clearance.

Paul
 
I recently installed some aluminum two piece bases on a 1940 Sauer & Sohn M98 8x57 that still had the clip boss. A previous owner had drilled and tapped the receiver (two holes in the rear with standard 0.5" spacing), but there were no bases when I bought it. I had to do some careful filing and rounding on the bottom forward edge of the rear base in order to accommodate that clip hump, but it worked. And I just did some touch up on the bluing where I used the file. Clearly it was poor man's gunsmithing, but this is just a knockaround rifle.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,439
Messages
1,576,345
Members
170,552
Latest member
allamerican37
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top