Wanted A Square Rifle

1994 price list. Does not state checking, just added cost for "accent". Not entirely sure what that is. Again, from the writing in the catalog, it appears A-Square would pretty much customize as the consumer wanted. This was when they were based in KY.
20220729_090155.jpg

1659111169555.jpeg
1659111238676.jpeg
1659111282833.jpeg

Hannibal 338 A-Sq (460 Wby necked down to 338 and losing the radius; Later reintroduced by Wby as the 338-378 Wby (w/ the radiused shoulder.) Exc Cond. Will not soon part with it as it's just too damn accurate and powerful (and a pleasure to shoot, thanks to its heft and the low felt psi of the larger area butt.) Last took a 41" Gemsbok in Namibia. PH said he doesn't see too many go down so fast! Would be fine for Buff using (higher SD and E than 375) 300 grainers in countries that allow it. May have to give that a whirl in Moz oneday...I have nothing but good things to say about the 375, but this is my personal do it all gun (so damn accurate out to 1,500 yds-way beyond any sane hunting range.) Art Alphin said something like: "...for when you have to be back in the office on Mon and the last shot presented on that trophy of a lifetime is at 600 yds..." A 375's not going to do that. Piece of cake for this rifle! The E at that distance is pretty close to muzzle E on a 338 WM. Likely ideal candidate for hunting in Abyssinia! It will be a toss-up in AK for big bear and moose (this v. 416, the only advantage of the latter being it's more weatherproof.) A-Sq guns are coated and full-length bedded with plastic spot putty, so they're weatherproofed enough! How I wish they were still around...

Last edited:
They are difficult to find as mentioned above. However, you could have a CNC wood shop take dimensions off someone else's and have your own coil-check stock made for any action/bbl desired. Price would likely leave some $ on the table for scope/mounts. There are a few stock recreator shops out there (what used to be $4500-7500 hand-made is now $100s via machine.) Also nothing wrong w/ an HS precision with the best pad and 2 internal Hg recoil reducers (same effect as the A-Sq butt.) I think the rather plain Jane A-Sq's look a little odd with the big pistol grip and butt, but all that quickly fades once you shoot it! Good luck.

'Have seen many rifles for sale over the years claiming to be A-Sq, but what they really are is an A-Sq or non A-Sq (mag. length Enfield-style action) once chambered for something "smallish, like my 338" and re-barreled to 500 A-Sq, with a no coil-check stock. I didn't see the merit of De-A-Squaring the guns (other than to try and scam a few bucks out of the Buyer on the re-sale.) Also have never seen checkering on an A-Sq.

Last edited:
I own a 460 Short A Square rifle made by Art Alphin . It is one of the most accurate big bore rifles I have ever seen or used. And i have used a wide variety of stopping rifles.

Last edited:
I own a 460 Short A Square rifle made by Art Alphin . It is one of the most accurate big bore rifles I have ever seen or used. And i have used a wide variety of stopping rifles.
I really want the 460 short but nabbed the 460wby as it came up and could he rebarreled to 500A2 if desired. Still on the lookout for that 460 short with dies/components when one pops up

***the magazine will NEVER accidentally open on an A-Sq rifle. LOL I think AA saw to it. They are exceedingly difficult to open when you want to. I think you were supposed to use one of the original sling swivels to open it, but I ditched them in favor of Uncle Mike's and simply cycle the rounds out with the bolt now. My only peave about the Enfields, but it could be worse (Rem 700 350 Rem Mag-1,500 rounds through the bbl and 3,000 all over the ground!) LOL now-sold it. Some guns are so uninteresting, you simply must wave the white flag and surrender them...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 5.37.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 5.37.56 PM.png
    635.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 5.37.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 5.37.58 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 5.38.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 5.38.00 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 46
I think I will give up on the search for now, these prices seem way out of line, and I'm not really interested in calibers that big. My interest is more in trying the stock design out in something like a 458WM or so. Since my R8 is so nice as is, I'm probably ok missing out on the Coil Check for now. I do appreciate the continued links to possible guns though.

I agree that the above-noted prices are totally out of line. Sort of like a Tom Brady football card for $2 million plus or a Micky Mantle card for $12 mil+

I think I will hold onto my 500 A-Square for awhile. Minty but I still shoot it now and then. On a somewhat related note, especially high prices for things. Cal Pappas' books have gone through the roof since his passing. I see his "British Bore Rifles" offered currently for as much as $500 USD! I also find it odd that his website remains up and running like nothing happened?

Now might be the time to sell it. Think of how many big bore CZ 550s, Ruger RSMs, and/or Dakota 76s you could buy with the proceeds! :E Laugh:
I trying not to buy any more. Seriously contemplating selling all of them but for a hand full and retire. I am tired of working for over 40 years. Time to stop and smell the roses.
Krish

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg