Want to Establish Value of Grevy's Zebra Skin - DO NOT WANT TO SELL IT

CanadaONTB

Reaction score
We lived in Kenya from 1971 to 1971. At the time my husband hunted and bagged a Grevy Zebra, it was not considered endangered at the time. I do not want to sell this skin but only wish to establish its value for my own personal information. Can anyone help me with this.

Thank you.

Do you have any pictures?

I'm pretty sure we covered this a little while back, (by your son maybe) be a great surprise to see another from same place & time ?

Grevy's Zebra.JPG

By the way the date stamp on this photo is from 09/08/2015

Last edited:
Skin measures 96" long; top width, 55"; middle width 61.5"; bottom width 70.5". These are the dimensions

I'm pretty sure we covered this a little while back, (by your son maybe) be a great surprise to see another from same place & time ?

View attachment 405762

By the way the date stamp on this photo is from 09/08/2015
Good call on it being the same skin.

I don’t think it would have much value. Gravy’s can be hunted in Texas so there are some skins around. They are not all that rare.
Philip

Does anyone have information that would help me establish the value of the skin.

Well it looks to be a nice skin & I think Grevys are the largest Zebra so it should be big & if tanned nicely should be worth at least the same as normal Zebra skin, unless being on CITES makes it harder to sell (possible as smaller market) then it should be worth $1200 to $2500 on the high side (maybe $2800 if Grevys has a premium ?), this is what I have seen many skins sell for in the past on both Burchells & Mt Zebra .

This skin is rare and since it is now considered endangered I believe it has a value much higher. Is there anyone who actually understands that this skin is not one that is easily found anywhere today. As I have expressed, I don't want to sell the skin only to know its value.

This skin is rare and since it is now considered endangered I believe it has a value much higher. Is there anyone who actually understands that this skin is not one that is easily found anywhere today. As I have expressed, I don't want to sell the skin only to know its value.

Just keep in mind, when on a ranch last year in Texas, I saw dozens of them and they can be hunted there for around $5000.

You may choose to believe it is valuable.
However, if you can not sell it due to CITES I restrictions, it has no value. If indeed you can provide proof of origin to the satisfaction of authorities then the associated PIA, may make FMV minimal.

One way or the other the market will be just as rare as the skin.

As @Philip Glass noted you can shoot one in Texas. Contact a ranch and ask them what they sell them for.

Emm come on hear ask for help, people try, no thank you or any thing & arguing the point as well !

Rare doesn't make it valuable and as noted by Brickburn, this might actually hinder a resale thus the valuation of it. Since you aren't selling, are you trying to get a value for insurance purposes? Dividing an estate? As stated by several above, you can hunt a Grevys in Texas for $4-$5 with $500 in tanning the HUNT and HIDE VALUE would be $4,500-$5,500. But you don't have a hunt to offer, only the hide and unless you find a very niche collector looking for that particular subspecies of zebra, I'm afraid it's worth not much more than the normal zebra subspecies so.... $2k-$2,500. Hate you if you must.

I'm guessing its at least worth what it cost to tan a Zebra hide now days. $1,200?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
outlookindia012

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg