Vortex scope for AR 15 22 Smith & Wesson

Yaseen

AH veteran
Joined
Apr 11, 2017
Messages
137
Reaction score
158
Location
Cape Town
Website
www.amandlagroup.co.za
Media
19
Hunting reports
Africa
5
Member of
NSA,Kaapj and SA hunters
Hunted
Kudu,impala,springbuck,wildebeest
Greetings everyone. I just purchased an AR15 .22 for target/fun shooting any recommendations on what vortex scope I should purchase. Why vortex!!!! I have vortex on most of my hunting rifles.

Many thanks,
 
For the .22LR you dont need a whole lot of magnification...I cant imagine you'll be shooting it more than 100 yards.. and would guess that most of the shooting will be inside 50 yards?

If thats the case, I'd consider either their Crossfire Rimfire optic (2-7x).. or maybe even one of their lower cost red dots like the Crossfire Red Dot... that should be all you need for plinking inside 100 yards and/or taking various small game like squirrel, rabbit, etc..

https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-crossfire-ii-2-7x32-rimfire-vplex-moa-riflescope.html

 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 7.04.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 7.04.39 AM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 212
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 7.04.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 7.04.42 AM.png
    599 KB · Views: 183
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 7.04.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 7.04.54 AM.png
    2 MB · Views: 191
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 7.04.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 7.04.56 AM.png
    563.7 KB · Views: 156
For the .22LR you dont need a whole lot of magnification...I cant imagine you'll be shooting it more than 100 yards.. and would guess that most of the shooting will be inside 50 yards?

If thats the case, I'd consider either their Crossfire Rimfire optic (2-7x).. or maybe even one of their lower cost red dots like the Crossfire Red Dot... that should be all you need for plinking inside 100 yards and/or taking various small game like squirrel, rabbit, etc..

https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-crossfire-ii-2-7x32-rimfire-vplex-moa-riflescope.html

 
I've never had a lot of success at 100 yards with the 22lr - you can probably hit a pie plate. The drop, wind, and factory inconsistency is too hard to predict. If you said 50 yards, I'd say get the Diamondback 2-7x35 rimfire. If you are just playing around at long distance, a 2-7 or 3-9 will be ok; although a bit heavy, I would lean towards the Diamondback 4-12x40. If you want to move up a series get the high power adjustable parallax, but I don't think it's needed on a 22lr.
 
Hey there! I just wanted to share my thoughts on the Canik TP9SF Elite paired with the Vortex Venom red dot. It's a great setup that's both enjoyable to shoot and suitable for personal defense purposes. The Vortex Venom is a highly reputable red dot sight that boasts a clear and precise reticle, while being both lightweight and durable.

When it comes to purchasing a Vortex sight, there are many options available. My personal suggestion would be to do your research and consider a variety of factors, such as cost, features, and customer reviews. This will help ensure that you find the best sight for your needs.
 
The 22lr makes a great long range trainer. I have a good bit of experience shooting one out to 200 yards, actually quite a bit farther just for play, but 200 yards is shootable with a 22, as far as target practice obviously, not hunting applications. You would require a scope with target/tactical turrets and a good bit of internal elevation. As far as drop and windage goes, shooting a 22 long rifle at 200 yards is a pretty close approximation of shooting a 308 at 1000 yards. In F class shooting with a 308, there is no 308 diameter bullet made that a 1mph change in the wind won't blow you out of the 10 ring at 1k. If you practice with a 22 at 200 yards you will learn a lot about atmospherics and wind calling!
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,344
Messages
1,573,575
Members
169,761
Latest member
ConradMeji
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top