Von Gruff knives

trouble is the mini skinner and the hunter skinner also seem to have a lot to offer.
but then so does the light hunter.
I agree that your handle might be more user friendly.
possibly the safari knife could be ground with a little more drop in the nose, which would also shorten it slightly.
bruce.
Easy to customise a design to suit personal needs Bruce

Garry has been telling us all along that no "one" style knife is best for everything. Depending on your usage and the style of blade you have, know its shortcomings and proceed accordingly.

i'll keep scratching my head.
bruce.
I’m pulling my hair out.
I thought I would like a custom knife but I’m a bit like this post.
trouble is the mini skinner and the hunter skinner also seem to have a lot to offer.
but then so does the light hunter.
I agree that your handle might be more user friendly.
possibly the safari knife could be ground with a little more drop in the nose, which would also shorten it slightly
bruce.
I just sent Garry a PM with my thought process, I might have him pulling his beard out yet!

I’m just like you guys. I want a general purpose knife to be used mostly for field dressing, the hunter skinner looks ideal to me for dressing but the safari looks more general purpose. I’ve done most of my hunting with a buck 102 clip point, so the safari might be more familiar.
I also be scratching my head Bruce

Yes, members I can see you guys really are struggling to make choices...I would suggest choosing the sharpest knife you can get that holds a sharp edge longer than the standard hunting knife....just ask Garry for a sharp knife , let him work on the design and details himself ...:LOL::LOL:(y)(y) No need at all to pull out your hair or any of your body parts..Garry knows best:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Yes, members I can see you guys really are struggling to make choices...I would suggest choosing the sharpest knife you can get that holds a sharp edge longer than the standard hunting knife....just ask Garry for a sharp knife , let him work on the design and details himself ...:LOL::LOL:(y)(y) No need at all to pull out your hair or any of your body parts..Garry knows best:LOL::LOL::LOL:
or eat your liver either.
bruce.

Garry suggestion is a slight change on the grind of a chosen style Changing the knifes functionality/versatility a little and adding to the unique custom request I guess .
I’m trying to find a happy medium between 2 styles if I only have one custom knife.
There are beautiful knives on his site but this is intended for use and carry and to be used if carried or easy to access.
@Gert Odendaal I must remember to ask for a sharp one.

c b h.
what and why?
enquiring minds and all that.
it might also help me.
bruce.
This is the slight change we spoke of to combine the attributes of the Safari knife and the Hunter skinner into the one blade to cover both uses
Compromise knife for Chris.png

Might even call it the C grind Safari knife and only us on here will know why. :):)

Bruce, Firstly, what I thought and counted out.
I like the idea of cross draw sheath although not perhaps traditional. I can wear it in vehicle I think while in the bush. Horizontal sheath maybe but was eyeing the cross draw
I think the Buffalo skinner looks amazing if I wanted aesthetically pleasing or a show piece. Higher price
I think the Pocket Ranger suits the cross draw sheath and a card shark from a by-gone era.
I know Garry carries a Light Hunter fit for purpose but maybe not my preference in all.
The Bushcraft Hunter has Micarta handles standard, wood for a custom I think.
Considered the AH EDC, briefly because of AH connection but, no.
Clip points look nice but I have an Old Timer Clip point so that’s doubling up.
I won’t wear any out it’s almost redundant buying more knives I have commercials knives and commercial knives for meat prep. Prefer Lamb when I can get one. I am a shooter firstly but enjoy butchering.
When I asked for a drop point In the lower price point, Garry suggested the Hunter Skinner and Skinner.
I’ve read enough now to think drop point does make a good skinner and all round use.
The Safari knife I kinda like but it’s not quite the skinning knife the others are.
Your post at #81 made sense of several features on a heavier blade. I don’t think weight is an issue on a smallish sheath knife. Sounds like Garry walks further than me.
Garry suggestion was he can drop the nose and deepen the belly on marking out grinding it to a shape closer to the Hunter Skinner. But only minor changes to the Safari blade pattern
I think that is the closest I’m going to get to making a decision unless I really knew what I want and sent a stencil or drawing.
It’s a want thing, we like guns and the associated hunting gear. It would be nice to have and even nicer to say I had some input on the design or at least special request for the customisation.
My preference would be Buffalo Bolsters where the Safari comes with Brass. I think a Flat grind and maybe a handle upgrade with a possible preference to an Australian wood.
It becomes an heirloom I have one son and I can leave something else for the Princess.
I sometimes defer wants by saying they are still making them. In this case they are custom made and when the managing director of Von Gruff Enterprises retires the “ still making them” option retires with him.
That would then be suitable for skinning and being thicker camp chores if required and hacking shit if you are up that creek without a paddle.

Hi Gary, your 4" Hunter Skinner blade is almost identical to the Loveless semi-skinner and is probably a better overall design. I believe Bob's semi-skinner was 3 3/4". In a 4" to 5" version, I would feel very comfortable using this knife on African Buffalo. Due to my style of skinning, with my blade being held upside down for certain "away from the hair" cuts, I would prefer a little less "birds head" at the end of the handle. This is just personal preference.
This the two knives in question Lon. The top one is the PH EDC (4 5/8 x 1 3/16 blade) with the lower one being the Hunter Skinner (4 in x 1 1/16 blade). Both have paper micarta bolsters and canvas micarta handles. They will not dry out in the hot sun nor warp/expand in the wet and sanded to just a 180 grit finish they will afford some grip for bloody hands compared to the smooth finish of wood, bone, or horn. Have some leather work to do so will get then sheathed later in the week.
IMG_20200330_154756.jpg

Garry suggestion is a slight change on the grind of a chosen style Changing the knifes functionality/versatility a little and adding to the unique custom request I guess .
I’m trying to find a happy medium between 2 styles if I only have one custom knife.
There are beautiful knives on his site but this is intended for use and carry and to be used if carried or easy to access.
@Gert Odendaal I must remember to ask for a sharp one.
Or remember to actually use these beautiful knifes and not lock them into a safe...and brag about what beautiful knives you have :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilburnAle

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,