Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DSC
Hunted
England, Hungary, United States, Scotland, Namibia, Argentina
Thanks to @Von Gruff for this finely-made knife. The buffalo-horn handle fits perfectly in the hand, while the overall design has a perfect balance. The knife has an instant heirloom quality.

D9ADCBCD-27F5-43EC-AB00-5239958980E6.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice, congrats !

Congrats on the new addition!

This one was I had intended to have the white streaks on the buffalo horn show through on the finished handle but the white is in very thin layers and often dissapares as the final shaping is done. The scales were 9mm thick so I did a lot of the thickness reduction on the back of them before fitting to the tang.
IMG_20200722_112623.jpg

with them to the final thickness before going on the knife it looked promising
IMG_20200723_092444.jpg
IMG_20200723_092451.jpg

Unfortunately the final shaping removed much of the streaking but still left the hints that remain and upon reflection add a quiet dignity rather than the flamboyant flashiness of the full streaking so I was really quite pleased with the final result.
IMG_0237.JPG

Unfortunately the final shaping removed much of the streaking but still left the hints that remain and upon reflection add a quiet dignity rather than the flamboyant flashiness of the full streaking so I was really quite pleased with the final result.View attachment 361766

I like the subtle streaks. Less says more. Looking forward to owning one with the blister maple handle when your stock arrives.

It
I like the subtle streaks. Less says more. Looking forward to owning one with the blister maple handle when your stock arrives.
It arrived two days ago Dewald. Just getting over a 2000km drive at the end of the week. so will be back to the shed next week to catch up on the order book.

It

It arrived two days ago Dewald. Just getting over a 2000km drive at the end of the week. so will be back to the shed next week to catch up on the order book.
@Von Gruff
Maybe e how do you drive 2,000 k in New Zealand. You would be up at Norfolk island. NZ is only a week little place. Ha ha ha ha.
Bob.

I know what he is working on.

It

That’s very good news. Safe travels Gary, and keep us posted on the progress.

@Von Gruff
Maybe e how do you drive 2,000 k in New Zealand. You would be up at Norfolk island. NZ is only a week little place. Ha ha ha ha.
Bob.
Day one - Lawrence to Hanmer is 580km (363mile)
Day two - Hanmer to Brightwater and return is 280 each way so 560km (350mile)
Day three - Hanmer back to Lawrence is another 580km (363 mile)
Day 4 - Lawrence to Dunedin and return is 94km each way so 188km (118mile)
Total for just here to there and back is 1908 KM (1193mile) without the side trips etc that we did on the way and a great deal of the run from Hanmer to brightwater is the Lewis Pass through the Southern Alps and up the long Murcheson Gorge which all has a multitude of tight windy road with many many corners in the 35 to 55km speeds (20 to 35mph) and a few [places where it is one way due to the narrow bridges etc so the actual milage does not fully reflect the driving time and concentration needed to do these roads.

Day one - Lawrence to Hanmer is 580km (363mile)
Day two - Hanmer to Brightwater and return is 280 each way so 560km (350mile)
Day three - Hanmer back to Lawrence is another 580km (363 mile)
Day 4 - Lawrence to Dunedin and return is 94km each way so 188km (118mile)
Total for just here to there and back is 1908 KM (1193mile) without the side trips etc that we did on the way and a great deal of the run from Hanmer to brightwater is the Lewis Pass through the Southern Alps and up the long Murcheson Gorge which all has a multitude of tight windy road with many many corners in the 35 to 55km speeds (20 to 35mph) and a few [places where it is one way due to the narrow bridges etc so the actual milage does not fully reflect the driving time and concentration needed to do these roads.
@Von Gruff
Yeah I know how it feels on those roads seems to take forever to do a short distance in some places.
It was just a matter Aussie having the usual dig at a kiwi.
It is a beautiful country over there.
Bob

They tell me they are a fine edge , it shouldnt take much to ttest that edge.
Just to be helpful i will post a photo of mine when its done.
Garry is pretty helpful he might help you settle on something that duits you.

I’m starting to think I really need one of those. Just need info on how to push me over the edge!
Any info you need I can help with Dave, just holler. I will get some pics up of Chris's 4x4 Hunter later in the day if that is any help (or temptation ;) ;) )

Beautiful workmanship

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg