Verney Carron Double Rifles

WST416

AH senior member
Reaction score
Member of
SCI, Member of Denver SCI chapter, DU
Hunted
US,Canada,Argentina,Botswana,South Africa
Do any of you own or have experience with Verney Carron double rifles. Just looking for a background on them. Pros and cons associated with their doubles. A double could be a possibility this year.

I do not have experience with verney carron double rifles.

Advice i was given in my looking to purchase a double rifles is .

Before you purchase look the rifle over and see what balance it has.

The trouble is finding a doubles gun that you and put your hands on to get the feel.

The PH i have talked to urged me to stay away from the doubles rifles that you have to cock before firing.
this was an safety issue, and the guns do not have a safety so you have to d-cock if not shooting.

Thanks guys but I'd still like to hear form a couple of guys on here that own or have had some shooting time with these. I've been on their web page but its not that informative compared to others. They look really nice but thats only part of it, if they have some kind of issue in any way I'd like to hear some opinions for you guys. A double is a big investment for me and I have time to look at all of them. I just know very little about these compared to the more popular makers out there so I thought I would start with them. I would definitely handle any gun before I percessed one . I'm just trying to weed out somethings that you can't tell by just holding and shouldering guns like these. Thanks in advance for the help.

Still hoping for some more input.

Thanks guys but I'd still like to hear form a couple of guys on here that own or have had some shooting time with these. I've been on their web page but its not that informative compared to others. They look really nice but thats only part of it, if they have some kind of issue in any way I'd like to hear some opinions for you guys. A double is a big investment for me and I have time to look at all of them. I just know very little about these compared to the more popular makers out there so I thought I would start with them. I would definitely handle any gun before I percessed one . I'm just trying to weed out somethings that you can't tell by just holding and shouldering guns like these. Thanks in advance for the help.

WST416, one of our DRSS members is an arms importer and imported three V-C doubles and brought them to the DRSS annual hunt/get together down at the 4K Ranch near Brady, Texas for the members so put through the paces to see if he wanted to import more of the rifles. The rifles were a 7mm flanged, and 450/400NE 3 inch, and a 450NE.
The rifles seemed well made and well finished! Wood was exceptional, and wood to metal fit was very nice.

They were balanced well with 1/3rd of the total weight between the hands as it should be. They were weighted properly for chambering in each case. We shot them with the factory ammo they were regulated with and all three shot very well. We found no objections to the brand at all.

The action has a unique lock-up with three lugs on the bottom of the Shoelump barrel set, that fit into three slots in the action body. The rifle doesn’t have a top lock-up but the bottom seems strong enough so as not to need a top lock-up (in most doubles called a third fastener). The rifles have some things that normally are found only on doubles that sell for far higher prices. Things like a flip over night sight, and well appointed rear shallow “V” standing with a silver center line to the bottom of the “V” with two f lop-ups for down range use. Everything worked as it was supposed to, and the general consensus of the twenty long time double rifle owners and African hunters there was that the Varne-Carron doubles were commiserate or better than the price point for these rifles!

Hope any of this helps with what you are looking for!

……………………………………………Good hunting!

Thanks Dugaboy1, really appreciate the information.

I'm having one in a 470 built ATM.
DSCF1646.jpg

DSCF1645.jpg

DSCF1644.jpg

DSCF1643.jpg

DSCF1642.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF1642.jpg
    DSCF1642.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 307
  • DSCF1644.jpg
    DSCF1644.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 293
  • DSCF1645.jpg
    DSCF1645.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 309
  • DSCF1643.jpg
    DSCF1643.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 313
  • DSCF1646.jpg
    DSCF1646.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 401
Beaut looking piece Adam, looks like a keeper for sure !

Very tasteful engraving, generous coverage without being "over-done".

Fun hunting with a quality firearm like that !

I'm sure you'll make plenty of memories together.

Thanks for sharing.

Adam, Congrats that is very beautiful rifle! A real winner!

Very nice indeed, thanks for posting the pics. I'm hoping to handle one at the next SCI show.

WST416, If you don't mind me asking, roughly how much did that cost you and where did you find a SxS rifle on their website? I looked and could only find O/U. That's a really nice gun that have there, I wouldn't mind getting one built for myself. Thanks PAoutlaw

A PDF catalog for V-C can be found here VERNEY CARRON manufacturer, importer and retailer of smooth barrel guns, rifled guns and fine guns you can see both the SXS and O/U rifles and shotguns. Remember V-C custom shop guns are made to order so almost none of the them will match the catalog description.

PAoutlaw...what part of PA are you in? If you can find your way to Gettysburg I generally have a min of 15-20 rifles and shotguns in stock to look at.

WST416, next show is the SCI Epic gamefair Atlanta GA in Sept, then Dallas SC in Jan and SCI Las Vegas in Feb.. If you want some phone numbers for people that have purchased multiple V-C guns drop me an email.

kebco, Straight up 81 between frackville and hazleton, or just south of bloomsburg where 11 and 80 cross. northern schuylkill county. What kind of rifles and shotguns do you usually carry? I'm probably going to buy a .375 bolt or if I can find one that is priced in my range I would love a double in .375 or 450/400. But I'm always looking for different guns to buy... Thanks PAoutlaw

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stitchcart

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg