Veld binocular suggestions

Good lord
I own own, They are very slick, accurate and easy to you. This is the best of the best.

6.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I own own, They are very slick, accurate and easy to you. This is the best of the best.
I disagree, for glassing a valley off a tripod maybe.

I prefer 8x for my hunting.

10x I use sometimes. 12x no thanks. Field of view is ass.

Might as well put a 20x scope on a 458 Lott and go elephant hunting.

Sometimes less is more.

I use an 8x42 set, best for scanning around. I also have a 16x set for use when hunting Springbuck from a stationary position where I can brace my arms.

Everyone has personal preferences. What works fantastic for one person may not be as good for another.

I think the best thing is to try different powers, objective sizes and brands if possible in the type of hunting situations you will be using them in.

I agree with @Whitebear995 that Swarovski are very nice. I waited a long time before I purchased Swarovski Binoculars. I always wanted them, but the price was too daunting. Sold some optics I wasn't using as much , purchased the Swarovski, very glad I did.

I do not find them worlds better than others I have used, but like a double rifle, it was an itch that had to be scratched.

Anyways 8x42 are the best , for me.

I own and use many different binos. I still hold with everyone above that the 8X42 is the best all arounder. But most folks can get by in Africa with 8x30. 10X is better for open country like the American West (I always bring my Swaro 10X30s when I go out west) - I've never hunted in Namibia or in mountainous areas of RSA but I suspect 10X would work well there as well. 10X also useful if you're hunting plains game and being very discerning about trophy selection.

For thick, grown up areas I've come to really like the Leupold Yosemite in 6X30. Great light absorbtion and plenty of magnification, and they pair well with a Rick Young Outdoors bino harness. Actually I'd imagine they'd be perfect for hunting Buff and/or Ele. They're so affordable I'd actually recomend everyone here buy a pair to use as "beater" binos. You might find they're the first ones you grab more and more.

I own and use many different binos. I still hold with everyone above that the 8X42 is the best all arounder. But most folks can get by in Africa with 8x30. 10X is better for open country like the American West (I always bring my Swaro 10X30s when I go out west) - I've never hunted in Namibia or in mountainous areas of RSA but I suspect 10X would work well there as well. 10X also useful if you're hunting plains game and being very discerning about trophy selection.

For thick, grown up areas I've come to really like the Leupold Yosemite in 6X30. Great light absorbtion and plenty of magnification, and they pair well with a Rick Young Outdoors bino harness. Actually I'd imagine they'd be perfect for hunting Buff and/or Ele. They're so affordable I'd actually recomend everyone here buy a pair to use as "beater" binos. You might find they're the first ones you grab more and more.
It is a shame Leoupold discontinued the Yosemite line. For the money they were a fine binocular.

Swarovski 12x50 ELs with swarovision. they go for $2,200. but they are worth it.
What a ridiculous suggestion.....have even ever tried these things in the bushveld? Shot ranges average 50 to 150 meters with 200 being a long shot....
They weight 2 lbs....get a bino bearer...
I shudder to ask what scope you would suggest....

What a ridiculous suggestion.....have even ever tried these things in the bushveld? Shot ranges average 50 to 150 meters with 200 being a long shot....
They weight 2 lbs....get a bino bearer...
I shudder to ask what scope you would suggest....
Have you ever used one before ?

I think a good 8x32 is all its needed. I am thinking in a Meopta Meostar/Kowa Genesis, around a little less than u$ 1000. I have the MM B1 8x32. Extremelly good binocular, challenging most double priced ones....
Very good (mechanics and optics) enough, reasonable priced enough, small and light enough....what else?
Going further, a good complement is a very good, not necessarily expensive, 10x40/42/50.
But those 8x32 or better, are plenty!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TonjaWelli

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you