Veld binocular suggestions

MS 9x56

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
What binocular is recommended for use in veld type cover?

I agree with @IvW ...

Ive got a pair of 10x42's I use.. but based on the hunts I've done in the bushveld in both Limpopo and the NW Province in SA, I think 8x42 probably would have been just as good if not more optimal a few times..

What binocular is recommended for use in veld type cover?

As with all hunting situations and terrain the answer would be 'quality' binoculars . . . the very best you can afford.

Good hunting to you.

8x42 or 10x42 of the best quality you can afford. (Swaro, Zeiss, Leica, and a few others)

8X42 is the classic all arounder for any safari. Quality 8X30s can be quite handy, especially when combined with a Rick Young Outdoors bino strap.

Good to see the love for 8x. Far more versatile than 10x, especially at distances under 300/400 yards.

8x can also be useful with 32mm objectives, whereas 10x32 is not so.

I am a 10x42 guy. Something like the Leica Ultra Vid HD (using them right now in Zambia) is as light as most 8x42’s and its extra power is really an advantage looking over a tree-line across a savannah Or trying to judge a sable across a flat. They also work for me just fine in the thick stuff. And as others have noted, the best you can afford.

I hunt almost exclusively in the South African Bushveld where my preference is for an 8x42 rather than 10x42. I enjoy the wider Field of View from the 8x42 and also find the image stability to be superior than the 10x42. I find the 42 mm objective more forgiving than smaller objectives at dawn and dusk. I admittedly do not use top tier binoculars such as Leica or Swarovski, and will not dispute the light gathering ability of 32mm objectives in these brands. I use what I believe to be the next best option to top tier Binoculars, which is the Vortex Optics Viper HD Roof Prism Binoculars 8x42.

I find the image quality and the ergonomics of this set to be outstanding, although it certainly is not the lightest in it's class.
I am on my second set of the same, as the first set was stolen out of my car a few years back. Glad it was not a top tier product that was stolen.

I agree with buying the best that your budget allows. If my budget allowed, I would certainly consider Leica or Swarovski.

I am nevertheless absolutely pleased with the performance of the Vortex Viper's performance. The lifetime guarantee for Vortex Optics is an additional factor of consideration.

I hope this helps.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 8.47.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 8.47.56 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 54
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 8.48.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 8.48.07 AM.png
    965.1 KB · Views: 52
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 8.48.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 8.48.08 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 49
I hunt almost exclusively in the South African Bushveld where my preference is for an 8x42 rather than 10x42. I enjoy the wider Field of View from the 8x42 and also find the image stability to be superior than the 10x42. I find the 42 mm objective more forgiving than smaller objectives at dawn and dusk. I admittedly do not use top tier binoculars such as Leica or Swarovski, and will not dispute the light gathering ability of 32mm objectives in these brands. I use what I believe to be the next best option to top tier Binoculars, which is the Vortex Optics Viper HD Roof Prism Binoculars 8x42.

I find the image quality and the ergonomics of this set to be outstanding, although it certainly is not the lightest in it's class.
I am on my second set of the same, as the first set was stolen out of my car a few years back. Glad it was not a top tier product that was stolen.

I agree with buying the best that your budget allows. If my budget allowed, I would certainly consider Leica or Swarovski.

I am nevertheless absolutely pleased with the performance of the Vortex Viper's performance. The lifetime guarantee for Vortex Optics is an additional factor of consideration.

I hope this helps.
I have the same philosophy. Leica and Swarovski would be nice to have. I had a pair of Zeiss about 20 years back. Just too stressful worrying that someone will bang/scratch/steal them. With two very active boys, I had to find a more practical solution. We currently have 3 pairs of binos. My boys each have Nikon Aculon. Good image quality for cheapo Binos. I had Nikon Prostaff 5 10x 42. My wife has acquired those for birdwatching so I need another pair. I think Nikon offers really good quality at many different price points. Never really matches the Big 3 in image quality but gets 95 % there for a lot less money.

Steiner 10x42

Steiner 10x42
I had a Steiner Peregrine 8x42. They were very nice. Was offered more than I paid years later and sold them.

Went with the Swaro SLC 8X42 and they seem very nice as well.

I have one 10x42, very nice view but as I wear eyeglasses I find the eye relief better in my 8x42.

I’ve brought several different pairs of binoculars to Namibia on different occasions. Leica 8x42, Leica 10x25 and Swarovski 8x30.
The Leica 8x42’s are my go to bins at home where we are often hunting in dark, dull winter conditions. The penalty of these is they are heavy.
The Leica 10x25’s are pretty neat, light and can be pushed into a shirt pocket easily enough. However I have found them lacking for distances over maybe 400 yds.
So the Swarovski 8x30’s ( or are they 8x32’s ) are my binoculars of preference for Africa.

Swarovski 12x50 ELs with swarovision. they go for $2,200. but they are worth it.

I prefer a quality 8x30 or x32 for the bushveld and I too like them on Rick Young harnesses. Anything bigger is just too heavy and harder to handle with one hand.

That said, I’m not nearly as strong and agile as I once was when 145 lbs and carried 110 lb loads of dead meat out on my back. Still there is something nice about being older and, hopefully, a bit wiser. ;)

Oh the good Lord wasn't for the price, it was for the fact that someone would use 12 power binoculars. Maybe he uses a tripod.
My old arms can’t hold still enough for 12 power not to mention where I hunt I can’t see far enough to take advantage of 12 power.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you