DmacD

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Canada, U.S.A., Namibia, England, South Africa
Some time ago I asked the Forum members if they had any knowledge of this double rifle system. The rifle in question was chambered in 9.3x74R. It was located across the country, and I just couldn't swing a deal with the owner.
I've had a hankering for a double rifle for quite some time, but my budget has prevented me from joining the club.
Well, I stumbled upon another one, this time chambered in .308/.308, with an additional set of 20ga/20ga barrels. It comes equipped with a Leupold VX 3 1.5-5. I realize that this is not a high-end, bespoke double from an English or German house, but it gets me on the property ladder, so to speak.
I tinkered with it yesterday, and it was completely out of whack. The bottom barrel was a good 20" higher than the top. It took a couple of boxes of ammo, but I got it to shoot pretty close. The target photo was at 100m. The top two holes are the top barrel, the bottom two are the bottom barrel. I left it alone after getting to this.
I'm planning to use this as a Moose rig, the rifle for the Moose, the 20ga for partridge afterwards.
I am aware of its shortcomings when compared to a Dangerous Game double. It has extractors only, and a single trigger, but thinking that for my purposes, it should suit.
Has anyone ever used one of these in Africa for a combo plains game/wing shooting trip? I am tempted to bring it along if I am lucky enough to take another crack at Africa.
What do you all think?
20240204_090748.jpg
20240204_090634.jpg
20240204_090547.jpg
20240203_114257.jpg

If those are 1” squares, I think its shooting as well at 100m as many doubles, that likely cost much, much more.
I’ve met a number PHs and local hunters in the Limpopo that swear by the 308. You have a great scope for the conditions I’ve seen there, in a short, fast handling package.
How well does the stock fit you as a shotgun with the 20 gauge barrels? Maybe you’re on the paradox property ladder. Have fun!

Thanks, yes those are 1" squares, at 100 meters. The Valmet has a pretty easy system for regulation. A wedge half-way down the barrels for vertical, and another at the muzzles for horizontal.
I was pretty pleased to get that group out of it.
The stock in rifle form fits me very well. In shotgun guise, it fits OK. The ejectors on the 20ga work very well. I don't think they have seen any real use.

That’s a great setup! It’s less about the cost of the rifle and more about the hunt. Take it and have a great time - many hunters would love to have that setup. And the regulation looks good to me

Brenneke shotgun bullet ammo can you use also , a updated paradox bullet it is .

Brenneke shotgun bullet ammo can you use also , a updated paradox bullet it is .
The idea of the Brenneke slugs had not occurred to me. I've never tried them before. That might open up it's usefulness even more......

They are loaded from 12 to .410

Even In sadly leadfree ammo also , and Swat used ones .

If you jave read the Guns of Bengt Berg link i have linked to some times from German Hunting Gunsboage , it has a lot about Brenneke and shotgun ammo also there .

In the 1989s some of the sets were zeroed with Brenneke ammo due to Paradox difficult to find . And lot more cost worthy also they are .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theo van Heerden

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you