USPS Incompetence!

Had my share of issues with USPS. I shipped a rifle (expensive Colt Delta AR) some time back and it got lost. Got on their case right away, they said they dont even get excited until something is missing for 2 weeks! It was finally delivered, no explanation for the delay.
As an aside unless its for a large amount of money, I dont bother with Priority envelopes anymore for small purchases. Just throw a regular envelope in the mail and it will get there just as fast as priority.
And no, USPS does not allow live ammo shipping. I did it once or twice years ago till someone wised me up, its a federal crime.

The problem with USP and FedEx on deliveries is that when you get a new driver it will all be screwed up until you have a sit down and talk with them.

When I was working we had a couple of drivers who had codes to get inside of a building to deliver boxes so that they wouldn't sit out in the weather, that worked fine until they were no longer the driver on our route. Then we had to start all over.

With a tracking number?
Yep it just vanished for a while and then reappeared no explanation was ever given as to why it just started moving again one day

I've lived in the same house for 18years and they still deliver packages to the wrong address

Well, I didn’t think it would/could happen, but the USPS has “lost” my Certified Mail letter containing a USPS MO for some ammo I purchased from another member here. I/they (since it’s certified and in their computerized delivery system) mailed it on 4-8-21. I had told the seller no hurry on shipping the ammo. So, this morning I checked the tracking number since I hadn’t heard back from the seller, and found out it never left Colorado Springs and was sent to another P.O. HERE on 4-10. They’re trying to locate it now. Unbelievable!
It’s a good thing I always keep ALL of my receipts when dealing with these idiots!
@CoElkHunter
Sounds a bit like Australia post. I ordered a P14 bolt for my P14 that had a an m17 bolt in it.
First one was sent back to sender despite having the correct adress. Sender sent it a second time but it got lost. Fortunately like you he had all receipts. Third attempt I finally got my bolt. Instead of taking a couple of days it took a month.
Posted a letter that only had to go a mile from the post office. Yes it got lost.
Bob

The US government has managed to screw up 99% of what it has its fingers in.
@npm352
That amazes me, only 99%.
Our government has the Midas touch in reverse. Everything they touch turns to shit.
They have picked up their game lately. The Chinese wanted to build a new belt road for the Victorian government. Our prime minister told them to piss off we don't want them investing here.
Result Chinese gov't is pissed off.
Australian people HAPPY.
Bob

USPS doesn't ship loaded ammo. Apparently, they don't reliably "ship" payments with a tracking number to buy that ammo either! This is the SECOND fiasco I've had with them in mailing 10-12 MOs in just over a year. That isn't a good percentage for them? Extrapolate that to the millions of MOs mailed and that's a LOT of missing/jacked up mail delivery! Maybe they're using Chinese made tracking software for our mail system?
@CoElkHunter
If'n it was 243 ammo they could lose as much of that as they wanted to. Even your 338 ammo is no great loss. GET A WHELEN then no problems.
Bob

I've flat out boycotted USPS due to their incompetence. UPS for everything and haven't had an issue since. I gladly pay a few bucks more to know my things arrive when their suppose to.
They aren't perfect either. Had a package my mother sent me last year get opened by the staff in the Denver UPS sorting facility. UPS claimed it was "lost" until we raised a stink. Finally they sent the contents back to my mother, (why not send on to destination?) but things were missing. No refund.

For several years I've had packages sent USPS priority mail to me, with tracking numbers and had no problem. they were interesting because the package info was entered in the system at each stop. A package sent would be noted at the point or origin, then several spots along the way and finally to the local office and "out for delivery".

But the last two items, one sent from Wisconsin and one that I sent to Georgia (from Washington State) both only show that it departed from the point of origin, then arrived at the destination. No info to trace the packages route. the problem was the one from Wi was sent on a Monday, expected delivery on Thursday. It didn't show until Monday. So instead of 3 days it took 7 and no idea where it went or if it just fell off of the conveyor belt and was unnoticed for a couple days. the one I sent is due for delivery tomorrow but the tracking still only shows that it left here a few days ago with no idea where it is now as it is "in transit".

One store that I purchase from is in Southern California. what's interesting about the orders is that back when tracking showed the interim stops it was clear that the Los Angeles office had a significant issue. Packages followed two routes. the store is in Chatsworth, a suburb of LA. From there they go to Santa Clarita, north of LA. The packages that get correctly routed go north to either Spokane or Seattle, then to the little town where I live. Usually two days travel. However some packages go from Santa Clarita south to Los Angeles and from there it's anyone's guess where they will go. One went from LA to Las Vegas, then to Boise Idaho then to Spokane then to here. travel time over a week.
Maybe that's why they quit posting where the package was at the interim stops.

Not to dispute the trials and tribulations that have been shared... but a different perspective.

Living in a rural Alaskan community, the USPS is our best bet. They have always done well by me in my 20ish years in the community in which I reside. We have intermittent UPS service, and it's a lot more expensive. UPS has lost a number of items for me, mostly from Amazon orders (a queen sized bed once - seriously). And FedEx? They don't even make it to us. They will TELL you they do. If something gets shipped FedEx, it makes to to Anchorage, sits there a while, and then someone from FedEx takes it to the post office... and mails it the rest of the way.

Again... I get that everyone's pain is real. Maybe it's easier to feel warm fuzzies about the USPS when they are the only reliable option. Happy Wednesday everyone.

Our experience also. We must get priority or something here in AK because USPS sucks the least here and by a good amount.

I'd be interested to hear how the international community outside US feels about their delivery systems.

In South Africa you don't ever even consider using the post office! That would be like going to Pelosi to get a good work reference for Trump... dumb!

Any package that seems more than just a letter will be stolen or tampered with. Nothing of value gets through and even bills and letters take weeks / months to be delivered, if at all.

I use a company called Postnet for deliveries and important local docs. They do have an international service but it is actually a DHL service through them.

SO word of caution, do NOT ever send anything via the post to or from SA even if it has a tracking number! You have more chance of winning the lotto than having a good experience.

I retired from the postal service in 2008. When I worked priority mail generally made it in two days. The post office has closed up lot of distribution centers and service has gotten worse. It toke my passport renewal over a month to get from Kansas to Pennsylvania and I sent it priority with tracking. They could turn it over to private interprise but would they have offices in all those small towns. FedEx and UPS wouldn't do to well either if they had to have an office everywhere there is a Post Office.

I would like to see a test between the USPS and carrier pigeons as far as delivery times for a simple check carried/delivered for a payment on goods. My money is on the carrier pigeons!
my local carrier pigeon is so large, you'd never get her to fly.

I retired from the postal service in 2008. When I worked priority mail generally made it in two days. The post office has closed up lot of distribution centers and service has gotten worse. It toke my passport renewal over a month to get from Kansas to Pennsylvania and I sent it priority with tracking. They could turn it over to private interprise but would they have offices in all those small towns. FedEx and UPS wouldn't do to well either if they had to have an office everywhere there is a Post Office.
I agree with you that the USPS is a necessary government entity, especially for mail service to the thousands of small towns across the U.S. FedEx and UPS couldn't operate cost effectively without the USPS. However, an infusion of private enterprise/oversight as it relates to the USPS's customer service and tracking/delivery of mail would be beneficial. As of yesterday at 0900, I'm still waiting for a phone call for information on WHERE my CERTIFIED MAIL letter containing a USPS MO IS! Apparently, it never made it out of the city here and is floating in "never mailed, never delivered, never land" somewhere here. Very frustrating!

In all honesty over the past 30 years of being in a business in which there was a lot of shipping of irreplaceable items I've had more issues with UPS that USPS. There was a time that UPS was just a complete shit show both locally and nationwide. Fortunately the photography lab I was using recognized the problem and started using FedEx Express, a 2 day service which solved my problem for years.

However in the past year they've all had/have issues, locally and nationwide, much of it obviously due to help turnover and/or not finding people to work. But so far I've not had anything lost forever.

My take on this is moderated by the fact that I know people who live overseas in a 2nd world country and deal with a nonexistent postal service. Everything is handled by delivery companies unless of course you want it stolen or just lost. So all in all we still have it better than much of the world.

The AH member I purchased some ammo from and mailed him a USPS MO on 4-8, just PMd me and said he received it yesterday. I never received a phone call back from USPS as of last Wednesday and gave up hope of them finding it. Twilight Zone mail service. How much other undelivered mail from weeks/months ago is floating around in the Zone?

I was waiting for a check from my brother once, he is an hour away. Sent USPS Priority, tracking showed it delivered in my box, go out to the box, No check.
Went down to the local PO and asked what gives. Was told it was delivered in my box. Talked to the post mistress on the phone, yep she says. I put it in your box personally, must have been stolen. Great. She says wait a few days then file for lost mail. My brother went ballistic and started telling me what I needed to do about it. LOL, I said you mailed it, you have the receipt, its up to you to chase it down not me.
A couple nights later at dinner, a knock on the door. Yep, the Post Mistress standing there holding my mail with check inside! She was almost apoplectic with grief and embarrassment: the mail was found on the floor behind some boxes at her PO in town! She either was just totally out to lunch or she lied about putting it in my box personally as she had said.
She was literally in tears telling me all this. Just ridiculous.

I was waiting for a check from my brother once, he is an hour away. Sent USPS Priority, tracking showed it delivered in my box, go out to the box, No check.
Went down to the local PO and asked what gives. Was told it was delivered in my box. Talked to the post mistress on the phone, yep she says. I put it in your box personally, must have been stolen. Great. She says wait a few days then file for lost mail. My brother went ballistic and started telling me what I needed to do about it. LOL, I said you mailed it, you have the receipt, its up to you to chase it down not me.
A couple nights later at dinner, a knock on the door. Yep, the Post Mistress standing there holding my mail with check inside! She was almost apoplectic with grief and embarrassment: the mail was found on the floor behind some boxes at her PO in town! She either was just totally out to lunch or she lied about putting it in my box personally as she had said.
She was literally in tears telling me all this. Just ridiculous.
She’s now probably in charge of ALL the POs in your region. Actually, maybe in my region? Ha!

This is an empty envelope I received from my local post office. The snap on wrench is gone, just a hole in the envelope and a note.
Give me a break !!!
IMG_20201003_090410.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snowlimitless

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross