Using a Rage Hypodermic

Maximum Reds run 9.07 grains per inch for shaft .... so I recant my last statement about you being to light .... you are fine . Though I still think you would be better off running something in the 450 range ....this could be accomplished through the use of weight tubes or buying heavier shafts (FMJ).
Glen
I may get some weight tubes for next time. Thanks guys for your input.

Thanks everyone.
I will post my animals when I return and let you all know how my set up performed.
They suppose to video my hunt as well

FYI from my Ph before I went I used Rage also here in the states. They really don't like the mechanical heads . Reson being when hunting from blinds sometimes you shoot through the netting and sometimes the broadhead doesn't open properly and 1 blade doesn't lock in and basically you launched a wounded duck and the prices of your quarry does not seem to chnce for me.

Well each to their own, but I wouldn't shoot a mechanical broadhead . fixed blade 175 grain VPA ,Easton 20/20 aluminum total weight 615 grains.
they don't call a blue wildebeest poor mans buffalo for no reason. they are tuff . Forrest

FYI from my Ph before I went I used Rage also here in the states. They really don't like the mechanical heads . Reson being when hunting from blinds sometimes you shoot through the netting and sometimes the broadhead doesn't open properly and 1 blade doesn't lock in and basically you launched a wounded duck and the prices of your quarry does not seem to chnce for me.
I understand, I hope my PH don't want me to shoot through the mesh even with a fixed blade, I may pass on the animal. I never like shooting through that only if I had a turkey gun. LOL

I was in Namibia less than a year ago, 435 grain maxima reds with the fixed blade DRT broadhead, pass throughs on wildebeest and eland with no issues. your set up with fixed blade will work great, shot placement and animal position is key to making a good shot with a quick kill. good luck, enjoy your trip.

I was in Namibia less than a year ago, 435 grain maxima reds with the fixed blade DRT broadhead, pass throughs on wildebeest and eland with no issues. your set up with fixed blade will work great, shot placement and animal position is key to making a good shot with a quick kill. good luck, enjoy your trip.
Thanks and Congrats on your harvest.

I took my 60lbs bear attitude with 400 grains total with a 125 montec on the end. I can't tell you how they perform cause i decided to spot and stalk the only animal i got a shot off on was a warthog that matrixed my arrow. you should be fine. i use a 410 grain 65lbs Hoyt now for moose so you are definitely set. Best of luck and bring back some nice photos.

I took my 60lbs bear attitude with 400 grains total with a 125 montec on the end. I can't tell you how they perform cause i decided to spot and stalk the only animal i got a shot off on was a warthog that matrixed my arrow. you should be fine. i use a 410 grain 65lbs Hoyt now for moose so you are definitely set. Best of luck and bring back some nice photos.
Sure will Thanks.

Shooting through mesh is not the concern with mechanical broadheads on African game. I suppose some outfitters are set up that way, but I have never seen a hide where you had to shoot through the mesh. Most permanent hides have adjustable burlap screens that can be set up to your height to create a custom shooting lane.

Anyway, the main concern with mechanicals is that your arrow will loose a tremendous amount of energy as the expandable blades attempt to deploy. Unless you have lots of kinetic energy in your set up, mechanicals will not provide good penetration even if they do deploy properly. Two good holes on either side of the animal is much more lethal than one big gash that only gets you one lung. Another concern is that many mechanicals are constructed with aluminum or alloy ferrules and light gauge blades that have a notorious tendency to bend, break or deflect off bone. Do yourself a favor, and shoot those heavy duty fixed blades in Africa. Have a great safari!

Shooting through mesh is not the concern with mechanical broadheads on African game. I suppose some outfitters are set up that way, but I have never seen a hide where you had to shoot through the mesh. Most permanent hides have adjustable burlap screens that can be set up to your height to create a custom shooting lane.

Anyway, the main concern with mechanicals is that your arrow will loose a tremendous amount of energy as the expandable blades attempt to deploy. Unless you have lots of kinetic energy in your set up, mechanicals will not provide good penetration even if they do deploy properly. Two good holes on either side of the animal is much more lethal than one big gash that only gets you one lung. Another concern is that many mechanicals are constructed with aluminum or alloy ferrules and light gauge blades that have a notorious tendency to bend, break or deflect off bone. Do yourself a favor, and shoot those heavy duty fixed blades in Africa. Have a great safari!
My bow has an enormous amount of Kinetic energy.
My Mechanicals are getting a pass through every time, so I know I will get great penetration.
Plus I'm prepared either way I have fixed blades as well.
Pictures will be coming after the 16th.
I will let everyone know how my setup performed.
Thanks

think your arrow is a little light for my tastes when the stuff gets big I go heavy arrow and 125gr thunderhead fixed blades have taken huge Yukon moose with set up same drw wt as you. don't get me wrong I love mechanical for deer just don't trust them for the big stuff when its all on the line a fixed blade wont fail you and mechanicals even the best can fail you. aka they suck energy to open, they can nick something in route to target and pop open and then you are screwed go off course big time then, etc heavy fixed blades just plow on thru. just my 2 cents.

just don't trust them for the big stuff when its all on the line a fixed blade wont fail you and mechanicals even the best can fail you. aka they suck energy to open, they can nick something in route to target and pop open and then you are screwed go off course big time then, etc heavy fixed blades just plow on thru. just my 2 cents

Unfortunately, we have found this to be the result far too often with guests who have hunted with mechanical style heads over the years. Although we would never forbid a guest to to hunt with a mechanical style head if their are determined to do so, we encourage them to leave them at home and opt for any of the extremely reliable fixed blade broadhead styles. There is no worse feeling for the hunter and the entire hunting party than to wound or lose an animal due to poor performance of the broadhead.

think your arrow is a little light for my tastes when the stuff gets big I go heavy arrow and 125gr thunderhead fixed blades have taken huge Yukon moose with set up same drw wt as you. don't get me wrong I love mechanical for deer just don't trust them for the big stuff when its all on the line a fixed blade wont fail you and mechanicals even the best can fail you. aka they suck energy to open, they can nick something in route to target and pop open and then you are screwed go off course big time then, etc heavy fixed blades just plow on thru. just my 2 cents.
Well you guys are going to make me go with my slick trick fixed blades.

Iceman, those fixed blades will work just fine everytime my friend put a few nice ones down and we want to see a report and some picts. good luck and god speed to you(y) PS look out for those wildebeast they are tough SOB's had to shoot twice with a 300 win mag and eland and zebra went down to same gun 1 pop!

Iceman, those fixed blades will work just fine everytime my friend put a few nice ones down and we want to see a report and some picts. good luck and god speed to you(y) PS look out for those wildebeast they are tough SOB's had to shoot twice with a 300 win mag and eland and zebra went down to same gun 1 pop!
Will do Buckdog.

I used Rage extreme and blew thru everything Wildebeest, kudu, gemsbuck, nhayla, impala, warthogs if you feel comfortable with the shot placement with them use them. Took Muzzys for backup just in case but I was pretty happy we killedalot and didn't have any misses or lost animals. Your set up sound pretty similar to mine you will have to use fixed for big stuff like Giraffe and Buffalo think it is the law over there. Alot of guys with some good info on other threads who are adamantly against rage and mechanical blades I would just take both and use the one you feel you shoot the best.

I got pass throughs on a Zebra and Kudu with a 425 grain arrow and a 61lb No-Cam bow and only got 12" of penetration on a blue wildebeest. The wildebeest had a mortal lung wound and still ran all over creation. They do not drop easily. I guess you could say they are the Rocky Balboa of Africa. For that reason alone, I upped my bow to a 70lb. If I had my 60lb no-cam and my dangerous game bow both sitting next to me and saw the wildebeest, I would grab my dangerous game bow just to be sure. Hell, even their name has beest in it!

Best of luck and look forward to seeing the reports and pics.

I've taken 3 animals (warthog, kudu, Nyala) with slick trick 100 grain standard 1 inch heads and 29 inch Easton FMJ arrows. Total weight around 475 grains. Also a few animals with VPA 150 grain 3 blade heads and a carbon arrow of around 500 grains. Shooting 72 lbs from my bow. Both of these head fly great

Blues are tough, much more so then pigs and Impala from what I have seen in two trips to SA and their ability to take a hit by either bow or gun. you'll be fine with your set up on pigs and Impala, but I'd prefer a little more weight and a fixed head on the blue. Also slick tricks and VPA's fly great. I've had no issues with going from field points to these two broadheads. Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross